Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Tom35758

Brand new Hideout 253RL!

Anybody added an inverter to their Hideout TT. It has the inverter prep box, but have not found any info on adding the inverter, what size? presume it needs an autoswitch. Any info would be appreciated
Tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome!

Although I cannot help with the inverter question, I can offer a big congrats on the new Hideout!

Enjoy your travels and stay safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The first thing I'd do is pull the cover on that "inverter box" and determine what size ROMEX wire is installed. If it's 14 gauge, then the maximum size inverter would be 1800 watts (that's 15 amps which is the maximum current rating for 14 ga ROMEX). Then, determine what size battery bank you can afford to install. If you're using a single GP24 battery, there's no need to install a large inverter, the battery can't power it for much more than 5 or 10 minutes. If you've got a couple of GC2 (golf cart batteries) then you have more "power potential" but still not enough to be trying to run the full 15 amps (1800 watts) for any extended length of time.

Essentially, if you have 14 ga ROMEX, you're looking at a 1500 watt inverter with an internal transfer switch, connected to and powered by at least a "two battery source".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom35758 View Post
Anybody added an inverter to their Hideout TT. It has the inverter prep box, but have not found any info on adding the inverter, what size? presume it needs an autoswitch. Any info would be appreciated
I asked a similar question a little over a year ago. I and others learned a great deal in the process.

Check out this thread

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=42742

For what it's worth. I chose a Xantrex 1000 watt Pure Sine Wave with built-in transfer/bypass. When we boondock overnight on our way to somewhere I use it for my CPAP, king size electric mattress pad, and 700 watt coffee maker. Obviously, not all at the same time. By the way, ours was wired with 14ga Romex.

In cold weather we can easily use 107Ah (per my BMV-712). We have two 100A Battleborn lithium batteries because I knew I'd need 200 usable amps.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
Gegrad

Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania, and enjoy the Hideout!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
Tom35758

Well, got the cover off the 'inverter prep' box, found the 14ga 110v AC wire loop, that's all, was hoping they would at least put the battery connection cables in.

And the disappointment continues, was going to mount a rear camera with the 'camera prep' on the rear only to find no wires at all in the mount.

One more little info item, was told by the dealer and the Keystone website all the lights are now led... not, the clearance/marker lights are regular bulbs.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:29 AM   #7
Hiding Out 253RL

New to the 253RL

Tom, good morning. We are in process of purchasing a new 253 RL here in Ohio. I would really like to hear your opinions on the model now that you have owned it for a few...

r, Chris
Hiding Out 253RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:55 AM   #8
Tom35758

We sure love the Hideout, but we have made a few modifications,
We went to lowes and got a medicine cabinet to replace the mirror above the sink(cant ever have too much storage).
Replaced the noisy small ceiling fan in the bathroom.
Also added the stair railing for the Liepert fold down stairs
Added a rearview camera
Don't believe the Winegard round tv antenna works as well as the directional antennas
Still trying to figure out whether to get the Winegard gw-1000 for wifi/4g,
just can't decide if it's worth the money

All-in-all, the interior workmanship is not great, but not bad.

2022 Keystone Hideout 253RL

2018 Nissan Armada tow vehicle
Old 04-09-2022, 05:42 AM   #9
Eric Hoffmeyer

I just bought an 253 RL and have several questions. It is equipped with a roof top solar panel, one automotive type 12VDC battery and two gas tanks.

We have owned two pop ups. A very basic one and most recently a Rockwood 296HighWall. The Rockwod poper had an inverted that ran off shore power to charge the battery.

I am having difficulty getting answers from the dealer;
1. When plugged to the 30 AMP shore power is there a charging mechanism that is keeping the battery charged?
2. What is the interaction between the solar panel and the battery?
3. The fridge won't turn on. I have pressed the on/off button and get no LED to indicate it is on. The fridge is 12VDC and the fuse for it is good. (Verified with my multi-meter.
Hope someone can help.
Regards,
Eric
Eric Hoffmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:23 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I've said it before but I'll predicate this with the same statement. For me a new truck isn't in my future, especially in this market. It's a personal choice based on trailer, usefulness and condition of current truck, etc. That doesn’t mean the deisre isn't there, but then again I'm the type that desires an 80' yacht with a helicopter and a private jet at the airport. Now that that's out of the way,

Anyone that makes a statement like "I'd never own a truck that requires DEF" likely falls into one of 2 categories. First - sour grapes. If I can't get one it's because they are no good. Second - ignorance. They just don't understand or haven't done any honest evaluation of the newest diesel trucks and their statistics including failure rates.

Oh, I guess there is a third catagory. The "Everything older is better" crowd. If you are in that crowd then ignore this post, turn on your vacuum tube 19" RCA TV and pop in a Betamax tape of Mad Max.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:05 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've said it before but I'll predicate this with the same statement. For me a new truck isn't in my future, especially in this market. It's a personal choice based on trailer, usefulness and condition of current truck, etc. That doesn’t mean the deisre isn't there, but then again I'm the type that desires an 80' yacht with a helicopter and a private jet at the airport. Now that that's out of the way,

Anyone that makes a statement like "I'd never own a truck that requires DEF" likely falls into one of 2 categories. First - sour grapes. If I can't get one it's because they are no good. Second - ignorance. They just don't understand or haven't done any honest evaluation of the newest diesel trucks and their statistics including failure rates.

Oh, I guess there is a third catagory. The "Everything older is better" crowd. If you are in that crowd then ignore this post, turn on your vacuum tube 19" RCA TV and pop in a Betamax tape of Mad Max.

That's it Marshall, ^^^I guess that's me. Not so much the vacuum tube TV or Betamax tape but the general statement; "everything older is better" - kinda like cheese...."aged". Once you get into the 70s seems like older IS better and also like fine aged cheese, especially that "cheesy" smell or.....hmmm, did I forget to change drawers this week?? Oh well, whatever - older is better in my mind (better than the alternative)!

Just a little levity on a blustery Sat. morning and everyone backed out of going to the worm gruntin contest in Sopchoppy this morning leaving me bored with a lonely keyboard.... Maybe I can at least get one of them to go so we can get some Tshirts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #12
Tom35758

1 yes
2. Charging the battery
3 hold down the power switch till the refer turns on

Old 04-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #13
Tom35758

Oh, and welcome to the forum Eric and Chris
And to a very elite and small group(2022 Hideout 253RL owners)
Old 06-25-2022, 04:23 AM   #14
Tom35758

Still trying to install the inverter... Has anybody done this on a Hideout 253RL?
I know it sounds silly, but cannot figure out how to get the battery cables to the inverter. I am going to install the inverter just below the solar controller, so I made a hole large enough for the battery cables in the wall. Problem is I cannot go any further, the area has alot of fiberglass insulation and the entire bottom of the TT is covered cannot see what is between the bottom cover and the wall

Old 07-04-2022, 03:49 AM   #15
Eric Hoffmeyer

Found the same crap on my 253RL. "Camera Ready" even with a video of the tech pulling the wires out of the "Camera Ready"" portal. No such wires exist. Very distressing. And the hole for the "Camera Ready" option looks like it was done by a guy with a pocket knife.
Eric Hoffmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #16
Ray373

Hideout inverter

Hi folks, I am an experienced camper but I just bought my first brand new 253RL. I kind of got excited when I saw all the marketing on the solar system and how easy it was upgradeable. I should have figured out something was a miss when the dealership "Camping World" couldn't answer my questions on just how to do it. I am anxiously waiting for some to say something about how they installed their inverter? Any ideas?
Ray373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #17
Canonman

Hi Ray, Welcome!!
There a couple of options depending on how you plan to use your trailer while not on shore power. What are your expectations?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4153.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	41239  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:38 PM   #18
Ray373

Wow thanks for responding. I only have 2 marine batteries and one 30 amp panel. so I'm not looking to do much just watch tv and run some lights and 12v fridge and a fan. I'm thinking a 1000w inverter would be more than enough. It has a plugin to add another panel many add that.
Ray373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:18 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray373 View Post
Wow thanks for responding. I only have 2 marine batteries and one 30 amp panel. so I'm not looking to do much just watch tv and run some lights and 12v fridge and a fan. I'm thinking a 1000w inverter would be more than enough. It has a plugin to add another panel many add that.
Some more info would really help. Can you define "2 marine batteries"? Are those two 12v dual purpose marine starting/deep cycle batteries, or two 6v deep cycle batteries wired in series, or??? Also what 30 amp panel are you referencing? Is that a 30 amp shore power panel or are you talking about a solar panel that rated at 30 watts?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:53 AM   #20
Canonman

Ray,
Those are fairly minimal use requirements.
First, your lights and Fridge are 12 volt and won't be running off the inverter. You will need the inverter to run your TV and any other 110 volt appliances.
When you say you have a 30 amp panel, I'm thinking you mean solar panel. 30 amp is probably the controller rating. The panels are usually rated in watts. Most single panels installed at the factory are around 100 watts or so but do vary so it's good to know how many watts your panel is producing.
All of your 12 volt appliances and accessories will be running off your batteries. This also includes your inverter which takes the 12 volt DC current from the battery and transforms it into 110 volts AC.
Think of your solar panel as a battery charger, and the batteries as an amperage storage device. As you consume the amps stored in your batteries (they probably hold about 75 amps each and you really can only use about 1/2 that without ruining the battery) you will need to replace those amps by charging from either the solar panel, shore power or a generator via your onboard converter.
We also only use our inverter for just the TV (play a movie in the evening) and charging the phones and lap top camera batteries etc. An inexpensive 350 watt inverter serves our needs just fine. You may want to go bigger, but unused output is just overhead drawing on your batteries stored power.
The big draw on your batteries will be the 12 volt fridge, somewhere around 5 amps depending on the model and size. As it gets colder you'll be using your furnace which is another big power user.
For us, the issue is more about how much power we can "generate" with our solar to recharge the batteries, the battery storage capacity and less about the size of the inverter.
Sorry to get so long winded. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3890.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	41242  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout