Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
GoingPlaces

Factory Installed Solar Package

We are in the process of purchasing a new Cougar 25RDSWE, the trailer is due end of Feb. We have purchased the factory installed solar package. I have a few questions that I hope you folks might help with. I've asked my dealer, they cannot answer them.

- Any idea of what brand, model and capacity of the inverter will be installed in the unit? The product brochure and internet say 1200 or 2000 watts, that a fairly big difference.

- If the Inverter has a Transfer switch function, will it be wired to the receptacles powered by the inverter? Will shore power be wired into the inverter?

- How many circuits are wired from the inverter? I understand there will be 3 or 4 (actual number unclear) dedicated receptacles. Are they on 15 or 20 amp circuits. 2000 watts would be 16.7 amps @ 120 volts.

- If the inverter has a remote keypad/display, will it be installed in the interior of the unit as part of the basic package or is that an upgrade?

-Thanks in advance
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a new Cougar 25RDSWE, the trailer is due end of Feb. We have purchased the factory installed solar package. I have a few questions that I hope you folks might help with. I've asked my dealer, they cannot answer them.

- Any idea of what brand, model and capacity of the inverter will be installed in the unit? The product brochure and internet say 1200 or 2000 watts, that a fairly big difference.

- If the Inverter has a Transfer switch function, will it be wired to the receptacles powered by the inverter? Will shore power be wired into the inverter?

- How many circuits are wired from the inverter? I understand there will be 3 or 4 (actual number unclear) dedicated receptacles. Are they on 15 or 20 amp circuits. 2000 watts would be 16.7 amps @ 120 volts.

- If the inverter has a remote keypad/display, will it be installed in the interior of the unit as part of the basic package or is that an upgrade?

-Thanks in advance
They use Xantrex inverters and they are passthrough inverters. So when hooked up to shore power the outlets are powered from shore power. When not connected to shore power and you turn on the inverter then it will supply the outlets.

There are 3-5 outlets depending on the trailer and they are on a 15 amp circuit.

I don't know about the remote switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	814CC411-733D-484B-AFB9-19D0D4724A0F.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	31971  
Old 02-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
GoingPlaces

From the schematic the inverter appears to be 1200 watts. In other threads, I have seen mention of a 2000 watt inverter being present. Is the 1200 watt inverter still being installed in 2021 units? If the 2000 watt is present, I would assume an upsizing of Romex (and breaker) would be needed, 14g to 12g to the receptacles.

Additionally, on the schematic there is a "sidewall: plug, is this for an external solar panel? If so, interesting that is is wired directly to the battery, by-passing the charge controller.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Steveo57

Quote:
From the schematic the inverter appears to be 1200 watts. In other threads, I have seen mention of a 2000 watt inverter being present. Is the 1200 watt inverter still being installed in 2021 units? If the 2000 watt is present, I would assume an upsizing of Romex (and breaker) would be needed, 14g to 12g to the receptacles.

Additionally, on the schematic there is a "sidewall: plug, is this for an external solar panel? If so, interesting that is is wired directly to the battery, by-passing the charge controller.
Don't know which models get the 1200 watt and which ones get the 2000 watt. And don't know how they wire up the circuit for a 2000 watt inverter.

The sidewall Zamp port is used for a portable panel that has it's own self contained controller.

There's some videos on YouTube that show a little more about the system. Look up Josh the RV nerd. He's done one about a Montana with the 2000 watt inverter installed.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
GoingPlaces

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll have to wait and see what I get !!

Meanwhile, I'll check out the You Tube info !!
Old 02-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
Frank G

Have you thought about your battery selection? Type, size, quantity? I'm kind of new to the Solar thing, the more I learn the less I know. It all depends what you want out of the system. There is no sense of loading up one side and skimping on the other.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #7
GoingPlaces

At this point I'm planning on using the dealer installed 2 - 12volt deep cycle wet cell batteries. I might be able to be talked into 2 - 6v golf cart style batteries, but that is yet to be determined. Those would be an approximate up charge of $300.

I want to go use the darn thing for a while before I take the expensive leap to Lithium. We'll see how we actually use it and what our electrical demands really are. Then possibly move to lithium IF we need them. We may find out the off grid thing is not for us or the wet cell batteries work OK. Only time will tell.

The main reason for us opting for the factory installed package up front is cost and down time. It was about $600 less (if my memory is correct) to have it installed at the factory vs later at the dealer. I have no idea how long my trailer would be stuck at the dealer for the upgrade. Also, the more I don't have to turn on a generator the better.

From my research so far, lithium is the way to go IF you need the extra power, can't (or just don't want to) use a generator and have robbed a bank recently. Maybe over the next few years the cost will come down so I don't really need to commit a crime to buy them.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:18 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
They use Xantrex inverters and they are passthrough inverters. So when hooked up to shore power the outlets are powered from shore power. When not connected to shore power and you turn on the inverter then it will supply the outlets.

There are 3-5 outlets depending on the trailer and they are on a 15 amp circuit.

I don't know about the remote switch.
I believe the factory installed 2000 watt units have a 20 amp breaker in the rv breaker panel labeled “solar” and it should have 12-2 romex already going to the predetermined 3 or 4 outlets throughout the rv

Mine has 14-2 romex and a 15 amp breaker because I believe when they originally came up with this idea they spec’ed it with a xantrex 1800 watt inverter but it seems that 2000 watt units have become the default.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #9
tanglemoose

xantrex freedom x2000

That is the inverter that came with our 25rdswe purchased and now been in a month of snowbird camping..
Sorry I am not save with wiring. There is NO remote switch, which we are having problems with. If we don't use or battery is shuts off. Have to crawl in small storage area to turn on or off.
We have 2 six volt batteries, works great but I am told if inverter left on when not using, 25 percent of the battery gets ate up.. yep, go to bed with 12.6 wake up to 12.1 on zamp which is low...

We are looking at a remote panel, not sure if with Bluetooth one you have to buy panel AND then Bluetooth gizmo.

They are 3 outlets inside. We have a inverter breaker, when running generator we have to have breaker up.

We do lots of dry camping, wish we would have had opportunity to order in 30 amp instead if 50. We are not power hungry people. Cord is huge, heavy and ONLY needed for second ac. Which we will never use. Parks charge more for 50 amp... had a 22rbswe 30 am for 5 years and did fine.

Enjoy, we live floorplan. Ps pull OUT drawers from under dinette, they are framed in horrible where slides run..broke already..

And our keytv won't find our directtv 4100 dome..
Thanks, Donna
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
crawford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
I'm kind of new to the Solar thing, the more I learn the less I know.
This about sums up where I am right now!
Lots of great info on this board. For me, I’m leaning towards *not* purchasing the factory solar package until I’ve used my trailer for a while and have a better idea of my requirements.
crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #11
tanglemoose

Fyi guy camping next to us, new 25rdswe, did not buy pkg and is fighting with inverter he bought, etc...$ 1500 for a zamp 170 watt solar, xantrex x 2000 freedom inverter, solar controller, all wired, etc, seems like a better buy. . Instead of purchasing all wiring stuff and components... just our thoughts
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #12
GoingPlaces

Steveo57, Would you happen to have a schematic for the Converter wiring as well? Are there multiple Charge Controllers in the charging system ? How does the Converter attach into the charging system? Via its own charge controller or into the solar charge controller?

I assume one can charge the batteries via the solar system and with shore or generator or tow vehicle power at the same time.

Also it appears as if the batteries still are charging via the solar system even if the battery shut off is in the off position.

jasin1, I hope you are correct with the 2000 watt inverter. That makes me happier with a coffee pot selection.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #13
Steveo57

Quote:
Steveo57, Would you happen to have a schematic for the Converter wiring as well? Are there multiple Charge Controllers in the charging system ? How does the Converter attach into the charging system? Via its own charge controller or into the solar charge controller?

I assume one can charge the batteries via the solar system and with shore or generator or tow vehicle power at the same time.

Also it appears as if the batteries still are charging via the solar system even if the battery shut off is in the off position.

jasin1, I hope you are correct with the 2000 watt inverter. That makes me happier with a coffee pot selection.

Here's a basic drawing of how mine is setup.

The converter /charger is connected to the DC fuse panel which is also connected to the battery through the battery disconnect switch. The battery gets charged from the converter via shore power or the generator. It can also get charged via the solar and also from the tow vehicle when it's connected.

This little video that I made gives an overview of the power systems.

https://youtu.be/XtuzxxsCPhc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210105_163153367.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	32003  
Old 02-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #14
BigBobIa

What are the middle loads?
Old 02-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #15
GoingPlaces

Thanks for that schematic !!! I also watched your video .. Lots of good info !!!

From the schematics it appears as if the Solar Charge Controller and the Converter (while on shore power/generator) both charge the battery at the same time?? Is this the case?

Additionally, Do you know if the Inverter in the solar package has a battery charge feature ?
Old 02-15-2021, 06:48 AM   #16
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
What are the middle loads?
The middle loads are things like the slide out, stabilizing jacks, tongue jack. That's also where the tow vehicle ties in to charge the battery when you're hooked up. I updated the picture to show that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210215_144347181.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	32006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210215-081441.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	32007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210215-081427.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	32008  
Old 02-15-2021, 06:53 AM   #17
Steveo57

Quote:
Thanks for that schematic !!! I also watched your video .. Lots of good info !!!

From the schematics it appears as if the Solar Charge Controller and the Converter (while on shore power/generator) both charge the battery at the same time?? Is this the case?

Additionally, Do you know if the Inverter in the solar package has a battery charge feature ?
The solar is always connected to the battery and charging it. And the inverter they use is just an inverter, not an inverter/charger.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #18
GoingPlaces

I understand that the Solar is always on and charging battery via the Solar Battery Charge Controller, even when the trailer is using shore power (or generator). During that time isn't the converter also charging the battery?

I guess my question revolves around multiple sources of charging power and whether that could negatively affect the batteries.

Does power from the Converter go straight to the battery or does it have its own charge controller?

Can two charging systems co-exist without problems. Is there anything I need to be concerned with to prevent possible battery overcharging or other issues?

I hope I'm not trying to put too fine a point on this. I'm just wanting to understand how the system works and discover any pitfalls before I get out in the boonies and find out then.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:08 AM   #19
Steveo57

Quote:
I understand that the Solar is always on and charging battery via the Solar Battery Charge Controller, even when the trailer is using shore power (or generator). During that time isn't the converter also charging the battery?

I guess my question revolves around multiple sources of charging power and whether that could negatively affect the batteries.

Does power from the Converter go straight to the battery or does it have its own charge controller?

Can two charging systems co-exist without problems. Is there anything I need to be concerned with to prevent possible battery overcharging or other issues?

I hope I'm not trying to put too fine a point on this. I'm just wanting to understand how the system works and discover any pitfalls before I get out in the boonies and find out then.
The converter is a three stage converter. It will have a certain charging profile. The solar controller will also be a three stage charger that will have it's own profile. They may be the same or they may be slightly different. The two will work together to charge the battery. The battery will accept the charge as it needs it from whichever source is the higher voltage.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #20
ObiRich

Quote:

Those side plugs are for solar suitcases, which have their own charge controller.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, solar