Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Viet_Vet

Did i screw up my breakaway switch, & more?

I went to install my TPMS system on my fifth wheel. They recommended that the repeater be wired into the trailer breakaway switch, as it would have power when hooked up for towing.

I was NOT connected to my truck electrically, and I disconnected the battery via the switch. When I cut into the wiring for the breakaway switch, in order to splice in, it arced across my wire cutters. Obviously, power is coming from somewhere. That is actually not my immediate concern.

I am worried that I may have done something to damage that breakaway switch, and in doing so, may have now locked up the brakes on the 5er. So two questions:

- how can I verify that the breakaway switch is still good

- how can I check that the camper brakes aren't locked up without hooking up my truck? Yea.... I know..... but we got 16 inches of snow yesterday and today, and my camper is not reachable except on foot. I have a feeling that this is mission impossible stuff.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas you may offer.
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
Eastham

Just a guess but maybe jack up one wheel and see if it is locked up.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Bostongone

I doubt that the breakaway switch suffered any ill effects since you created the short before it. The damage might be in the burned or arced wire cutter. The breakaway switch is always hot in most (all) trailers as a safety issue. It makes no difference if your main trailer switch is on or off. The trailer brakes would be on only if your cutters are still welded across the battery side of the wire pair which was going to the switch. Possible that the hot side of that wire pair might have welded to the other wire which feeds the brakes. Just check to see if they can be separated, if so brakes are not energized.

The benefit of supplying your repeater from the brake feed is that it is always on which is also a negative. Perhaps other users could suggest a pick up point for the feed for the repeater? A lot of users get a feed from the running lights?
Old 12-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Have my repeater inside the propane tank cover and attached it to the battery with a fuse on the hot side. Have it attached to the top flap with 3M double lock fasteners.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

As a rule, the break away switch is connected to the battery at the junction box and before the cut off switch. There is a reason why the law requires a battery be installed when towing. If the trailer umbilical pulls out and the trailer comes unhitched, the trailer battery will provide voltage to lick the brakes assuming the break away pin gets pulled out.

I seriously doubt you did any damage, but you can check by doing as stated earlier, jack up one tire, pull the pin. Should lock up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Actually, when the break-away pin is pulled, the breaks will lock up. You don't need to jack up the trailer and spin the wheel. When the breaks lock up and the trailer is not moving, you can hear a distinct humming sound coming from the brakes. You know they are in the locked position. Insert the pin back in and the hum should quit. Of course, it needs to be quiet when you do this.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:41 AM   #7
JDDilly

My repeater had clips on the ends to connect directly to the battery. That way I can shut it off when not towing. If left on the is a bright green light glowing under the rig.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
travelin texans

Glad I had the TST507 TPMS, no booster/repeater necessary with my 40' 5th wheel & CC DRW GMC, 10 wheels total.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Glad I had the TST507 TPMS, no booster/repeater necessary with my 40' 5th wheel & CC DRW GMC, 10 wheels total.

Danny when I ordered the new color monitor for my older TST system they told me it would require the repeater (which I bought of course). Seems the sensitivity? of the new monitor isn't what the old one is. Should have put the old one back in without the repeater but just can't see the display at all in the sun. Is yours one of the new ones and working without the repeater?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Danny when I ordered the new color monitor for my older TST system they told me it would require the repeater (which I bought of course). Seems the sensitivity? of the new monitor isn't what the old one is. Should have put the old one back in without the repeater but just can't see the display at all in the sun. Is yours one of the new ones and working without the repeater?
No, bought it in 2013 & sold it to a friend in 2019 when we sold truck & rv.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
No, bought it in 2013 & sold it to a friend in 2019 when we sold truck & rv.
Maybe the color monitor makes the difference, mine was a small black/white.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet_Vet View Post
I went to install my TPMS system on my fifth wheel. They recommended that the repeater be wired into the trailer breakaway switch, as it would have power when hooked up for towing.

I was NOT connected to my truck electrically, and I disconnected the battery via the switch. When I cut into the wiring for the breakaway switch, in order to splice in, it arced across my wire cutters. Obviously, power is coming from somewhere. That is actually not my immediate concern.

I am worried that I may have done something to damage that breakaway switch, and in doing so, may have now locked up the brakes on the 5er. So two questions:

- how can I verify that the breakaway switch is still good

- how can I check that the camper brakes aren't locked up without hooking up my truck? Yea.... I know..... but we got 16 inches of snow yesterday and today, and my camper is not reachable except on foot. I have a feeling that this is mission impossible stuff.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas you may offer.
Good thing you didn't cut a 110 volt set of wires like that!
The song " YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE" comes to mind.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

This is a good example of why the "disconnect the battery ground cable" advice should be followed when working on the DC systems. This is also a good example of parasitic drains on a battery even though the battery disconnect is in the off position. There are several "always on" devices such as the CO/LP leak monitor, the radio preset memory, and some touch capacitive controllers. While the E brake is hot it's not energized as long as the pin is in it, the other devices do constantly use electricity and will drain the battery in a few days.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #14
Viet_Vet

Thought I should get back on here with an update.

Everything worked out fine. There was no damage to anything, and the wheels were not locked up. I made it from Upstate NY to MacDill AFB near Tampa with no issues.

The tire monitor worked flawlessly (thank you Santa!) and the trip was uneventful.
If you can't fly with the eagles, go peck s**t with the chickens!
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #15
goodellj

I have a TST-510 system that should not require a repeater, but I found that I sometimes lost signal from the right rear trailer tire. I also lost signal occasionally from the right front tire. After a year or two I broke down and got a repeater and installed it in the roof of the front cargo compartment. I wired it to the power supply of a nearby light. No more problems.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote