Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2020, 07:13 AM   #1
ChuckS

Suburban water heater anode issues

I remove my anode after I return from a trip and rinse the tank out, inspect anode and reinstall anode with Teflon tape... takes ten minutes max to do this...

These pics show what can happen if you come back from a trip and let that water heater sit full of water.. the magnesium completely came apart on this one and I’d bet money the water heater check valve located on hot water outlet is plugged or will be soon...

The pics are a gross exaggeration but this can occur quicker than you think depending upon the water mineral content..

Also those full timing really should pull the anode out several times a year and rinse the tank and inspect anode rod condition...

Last pic is what the usually check valve looks like ... but on some units this could be made of plastic

YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2CCDB21-6601-4B1F-BD68-0E937E0A4062.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	31066   Click image for larger version

Name:	A16313EB-75E4-45D5-9CCF-9CB0BF5D1CFA.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	31067   Click image for larger version

Name:	19D59733-C2DA-478F-AB32-48A3A660AB25.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	31068  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
crk112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I remove my anode after I return from a trip and rinse the tank out, inspect anode and reinstall anode with Teflon tape... takes ten minutes max to do this...

Also those full timing really should pull the anode out several times a year and rinse the tank and inspect anode rod condition...

I also remove my anode rod after every trip to drain the water heater... Seriously, TEN MINUTES MAX is accurate. It's hardly an extra step that will go a long ways in the "preventative maintenance" category.

I've had the same anode rod for 3 1/2 years since my TT was new and it's only barely started to wear away. At its present rate of wear, I bet I'll get 5 more years off it at least!

I do keep a spare anode rod.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

These pics show what can happen if you come back from a trip and let that water heater sit full of water.. the magnesium completely came apart on this one and I’d bet money the water heater check valve located on hot water outlet is plugged or will be soon...

The pics are a gross exaggeration but this can occur quicker than you think depending upon the water mineral content..

Last pic is what the usually check valve looks like ... but on some units this could be made of plastic

YMMV

Thanks, Chuck. Those photos "should be ample evidence" of what can happen. I'd also consider the pressure relief valve as a "collector of magnesium residue"... While there is "inconvenience" if the backflow valve plugs up (you stop getting hot water at the tap), if the pressure relief valve plugs and there's a problem with too much pressure inside the water heater tank, it could lead to safety issues to go along with the inconvenience.

In our area and with the "frequency of trailer use during the summer" I don't need to remove and flush the water heater after every trip, but I do clean it out if it's going to be in storage or not used for more than a couple of weeks. It's definitely preferable to having to replace components due to contamination from a deteriorating anode caused by "bad water".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
travelin texans

Just to clarify from the title!
This above recommendation is for a Suburban brand water heater only!
Atwood brand water heaters do not have/need an anode rod, but draining when not in use for extended periods is a good idea.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
ChuckS

And for those not sure why Atwood water heater doesn’t need an anode rod...

Atwood uses an aluminum tank. Aluminum doesn't corrode, so in theory there's no reason to use an anode. But they use a steel threaded insert for the drain, which is in turn welded to the aluminum tank.

The threads may require cleaning to remove deposit build ups over a period of time

And of course many of the new rigs coming out have either the Suburban IW60 series on demand water heater or the Girard GSWH-2 on demand water heater...

Neither of these use an anode rod ... but I wonder what the long term affects of hard water would be on the combustion chamber and valves in these units

Old 12-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
skids

I am curious about the anode rods. If you simply pull the plug/rod and drain after camping, what happens with the water sitting in the bottom of the tank? Is there a corrosion issue?
Old 12-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #7
QCMan
Gone Traveling

The water left in typically evaporates as the tank is open to the air.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:12 AM   #8
ChuckS

Once you have tank cleaned the just hold and air gun nozzle up at the drain opening and it will displace the residual water out of that tank.. and of course .. you will get water spray on you ... be sure to dry off the solenoids and metal area below drain so it doesn’t oxidize

Old 12-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I am curious about the anode rods. If you simply pull the plug/rod and drain after camping, what happens with the water sitting in the bottom of the tank? Is there a corrosion issue?
There's a lip at the plug opening that will prevent about a 1/2 cup of water from draining naturally & won't hurt a thing being left in there.
As mentioned if it's an issue blow it out.
If your water is corrosive enough that that 1/2 cup is of concern you probably shouldn't drink it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Another good reason to use a quality water filter. I'm not a fan of those small in-line disposable filters but they are better than no filter. I prefer, and use, a 10" cartridge style. With those the cartridge is replaceable and you have a choice of filter media.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
amsoiltek

Also since we are talking about anode rods, your water at home has one too, it's worth a check.
2019 Cougar 362RKS
amsoiltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
geeman

Once a year when I winterize. Never had an issue. Rods last anywhere from 3-5 years generally.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #13
DAMILLER_SR

I panicked

After a discussion on anode rods about a month or so ago, I panicked. I have a 2006 NRG and thought that there's no way I have anything left in my water heater tank. So I ordered a new anode rod on Amazon, and waited for it to come in before doing an installation. You can see in the picture how my current annulled rod looked, and I personally do not see anything wrong with its condition, but I am open to comments please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201122_115122.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	31168  
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post
After a discussion on annulled rods about a month or so ago, I panicked. I have a 2006 NRG and thought that there's no way I have anything left in my water heater tank. So I ordered a new anode rod on Amazon, and waited for it to come in before doing an installation. You can see in the picture how my current annulled rod looked, and I personally do not see anything wrong with its condition, but I am open to comments please
Use a wire brush (I use a wire wheel on my grinder) and clean the rough scale off the anode, wipe it clean with a wet cloth, wrap the threads with teflon tape and reinstall. That one is "barely broken in and destined for years of further service".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
Mikelff

If you want to clean your tank of scale and residue. Flush it with some white vinegar. Let it set for a couple minutes then flush with fresh water. It really melts that residue and cleans out your tank with all natural product, and wont hurt anything in your system.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:13 PM   #16
MJCougler

Flushing an RV Hot water heater

Mikelff,
That sounds like a great idea to clean your tank of scale and residue. But, you forgot a lot of us may not know how to do that. I assume we would fill it with a few quarts of vinegar and fill the tank with water and let it sit for a few hours? Draining it is the easy part, but how do we put the vinegar in (how much) and then fill it with water?
Old 12-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #17
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCougler View Post
Mikelff,
That sounds like a great idea to clean your tank of scale and residue. But, you forgot a lot of us may not know how to do that. I assume we would fill it with a few quarts of vinegar and fill the tank with water and let it sit for a few hours? Draining it is the easy part, but how do we put the vinegar in (how much) and then fill it with water?
MJ, I have used a couple ways. I used my grand kids super soaker squirt gun one time. Lol. I have also used a turkey baster with a short hose on the end so I can squirt it around the inside and let it soak in, then flush it. About a quart is all I use. Just want to get it wet with the vinegar. Doesn’t take much unless there is a lot of gunk in there. I also use the turkey baster to add water to my battery cells. Don't have to haul them out to fill/top off any cells that might be running low and don't spill water all over the place. I keep 1/2 gallon of distilled water and turkey baster next to the batteries so I have it when I need it.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #18
DAMILLER_SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Use a wire brush (I use a wire wheel on my grinder) and clean the rough scale off the anode, wipe it clean with a wet cloth, wrap the threads with teflon tape and reinstall. That one is "barely broken in and destined for years of further service".....
Wire wheel it is, I'm lazy
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:21 AM   #19
mj5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
MJ, I have used a couple ways. I used my grand kids super soaker squirt gun one time. Lol. I have also used a turkey baster with a short hose on the end so I can squirt it around the inside and let it soak in, then flush it. About a quart is all I use. Just want to get it wet with the vinegar. Doesn’t take much unless there is a lot of gunk in there. I also use the turkey baster to add water to my battery cells. Don't have to haul them out to fill/top off any cells that might be running low and don't spill water all over the place. I keep 1/2 gallon of distilled water and turkey baster next to the batteries so I have it when I need it.

Where though do you fill the hot water tank?
I know how to fill the fresh water tank, by flipping the lever from 'flow' to 'fill', but I haven't ever tried to just fill the hot water tank.
In our 2017 Raptor 412TS, we have the Suburban 12 gallon hot water heater.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:38 AM   #20
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj5150 View Post
Where though do you fill the hot water tank?
I know how to fill the fresh water tank, by flipping the lever from 'flow' to 'fill', but I haven't ever tried to just fill the hot water tank.
In our 2017 Raptor 412TS, we have the Suburban 12 gallon hot water heater.

-Mike
you fill the WH using the RV plumbing. City water or FW and pump.
WH valves must be "In Service" not Bypassed. Open the pressure relief valve until the water comes out. nEVER TURN ON THE ELECTRIC WITH AN EMPTY WH.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater