Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2022, 06:11 PM   #1261
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
90°F outside today so being a genius and all, I decided to climb up on the roof and upgrade the bathroom fart fan vent.

I'm wondering what you folks that upgrade vents do with the old units. I don't see myself swapping this unit back over for any reason and rather not store it. Perhaps I need to join a "van life" forum and offer it up to someone converting a van...
I'm one that tends to store parts taken off things "for future use"... I agree with you that you'll probably not want to take the time or effort to replace the fan if/when you sell the trailer. I feel the same way about crawling on the roof and spending 2 or 3 hours "to save $100"....

That said, I've got friends that break a fan blade, burn up a motor or crack the plastic dome on their OEM vent fan. It's nice to have the parts on the shelf and offer them a replacement "free of charge". So, for me, rather than throw things away, if I have the space on a shelf, I put it in the replacement box, stack it on the shelf and make a mental note of where it's at. Then, when somone needs a part, I go looking and if I can find what they need, I make the part available if they want it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:56 PM   #1262
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm one that tends to store parts taken off things "for future use"... I agree with you that you'll probably not want to take the time or effort to replace the fan if/when you sell the trailer. I feel the same way about crawling on the roof and spending 2 or 3 hours "to save $100"....

That said, I've got friends that break a fan blade, burn up a motor or crack the plastic dome on their OEM vent fan. It's nice to have the parts on the shelf and offer them a replacement "free of charge". So, for me, rather than throw things away, if I have the space on a shelf, I put it in the replacement box, stack it on the shelf and make a mental note of where it's at. Then, when somone needs a part, I go looking and if I can find what they need, I make the part available if they want it.
I'm the same way, but trying to get out of the habit - at least to a certain degree. I've still got a brand new set of spark plugs, a set of mud guards and a grill from a 2006 F150 plus some parts of a 2012 F250 I believe. Not to mention parts like brake pads for cars and parts for boats that I can't even remember what model they go to!
Oh, and parts from my old TT that never even got installed.

But, yeah. I'll end up storing this vent as well as the other one when I install the front air conditioner.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:02 AM   #1263
Poppy

I had a 2nd AC installed. Parts to hook up to vents and the “in-command” center was on back order and expensive, so it’s controlled at the AC and for just the bedroom. Also had 2 vent covers installed.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:08 PM   #1264
skunked again

Made and installed some sliding drawers for the front pass-through. Re-organized because of this, Then measured and reset the w/d hitch.
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:21 AM   #1265
Bustinbeards

Assembled new wdh and went and cut the grass around the camper and checked on it. Have one stabilizer jack bent from prior owner Went and bought a new stabilizer jack and McGuires marine and rv compound and wax for the oxidation on nose and to shine it up.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:39 AM   #1266
Tom-67X

Wired in 2 SoftStartRV units...success!
Installed a Wi-Fi router.
Mounted a coat rack.
Mounted towel hooks.
Mounted paper towel holder.

Eh...good enough day.
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:27 AM   #1267
Camping family

Not to the rv. But to the new tv. Had strips added to the side, rear tail gate and front bug guard. Added mud guards and door rain shields. Had 5th wheel hitch re installed. Checked to make sure hitch height and everything don’t changed. Did find out the truck now when hooking up the tail gate gets a little closer to the camper then before. I have a pull right there wheel hitch. The hitch has bolts that will allow it to be moved back or forwards. I’m thinking of moving it back one hole towards the tailgate. That would give a little more room when hooking up. Anyone think that would be a problem?
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:05 PM   #1268
skunked again

I’m not familiar with fifth wheels, how will that change the load on the truck? Changing the center of gravity?
Old 06-01-2022, 08:50 AM   #1269
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
I’m not familiar with fifth wheels, how will that change the load on the truck? Changing the center of gravity?
That’s what I checking on. It’s going to be about 2 inches or so. Don’t know how much of a difference it will make.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #1270
wrvond

The further you move it back the more weight will be carried by the truck's rear axle - reducing the amount of weight on the front axle. If you were to move it back to the bumper (in theory) you'd suddenly find your truck nose high and sagging in the back. Of course, no fifth wheel hitch is going to go back that far, but it does illustrate the effect of moving the hitch back. So the real question is - how far back is it being moved in relation to the axle? Ideally the kingpin is centered directly over the axle but you can usually move it forward or backward an inch or so without a problem. It sounds like your hitch may currently have the kingpin just a touch forward of the axle, so moving it back would give you that tailgate room and put the weight closer to the axle.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:17 AM   #1271
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
Leverage. The weight remains constant but the further away from the pivot point the more leverage is effective. Think of 2 kids on a seesaw, one skinny and one fat. If the fat kid sets closer to the pivot point the 2 kids can find a place where they can balance.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #1272
Camping family

I’m going to post a pic tomorrow of where it is now and where I want to move it to.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:01 PM   #1273
skunked again

Thank you!
Old 06-02-2022, 04:22 AM   #1274
jxnbbl

Physically installed the inverter 'setup'

Kudos to zamp. The new solar controller didn't connect via bluetooth...they shipped one to me across the country and got it late Tuesday (contacted them at 4-5 eastern on Friday). Installed the new controller and the inverter and tested the "AC pass through" of the inverter. Still waiting for a replacement DC re-settable fuse before connecting the battery cables so not fully operational.

Although it is in the pass thru I added the outlet option to have power accessible on the other side of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	39990  
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:57 AM   #1275
flybouy
Site Team

Looks good! Let us know how it performs when you get it up and running.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #1276
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As I had said previously, I am replacing my MorRyde Step Above folding steps with the Torklift Glowstep Revolution Uprising (long name) steps. I ordered them today (etrailer) and will be here mid week. I will post a pic or 2 once I get them and they are installed. I'm tired of not being able to access the inside of the RV while in the storage barn.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...BoC7-MQAvD_BwE

To follow up; Well, got the steps and today was the day to install them. Went to the barn and pulled the MorRyde steps out and brought the trailer to the house as I wanted to wash/wax it when the steps were done. Took the entry plate out to install....it was for a 24" door vs a 28!! Definitely not what I wanted. Called etrailer; right part number on the Torklift box but apparently they put the wrong steps in the box or slapped the wrong sticker on it. Last one etrailer had. They will be working with Torklift tomorrow to expedite a replacement but.... Thought I had a pretty high opinion of Torklift but hmmmm. Etrailer goes above and beyond. Oh, watch out for anything being delivered by UPS. This big box was destroyed. The steps had obviously come out of the box, been thrown back in willy nilly and they had used regular packing tape to try to "sort of" put it all back together. Not a happy camper this afternoon.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:55 AM   #1277
Bustinbeards

Washed and waxed the front nose of the camper. It had some pretty bad oxidation on it and had no shine. I used McGuires marine and rv compound and wax, stuff was almost 30$ for a bottle. But it took off the oxidation and put a nice shine on the gel coat with one application. I was impressed to say the least.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:25 PM   #1278
Buffettfan

Took everything out of the storage compartment.
It was full.
Put everything back in, now it's only half full!
Then I washed it.
After ~600 miles in the rain, it was quite filthy.

Terry, Teri and Lucy
2020 Premier 24RK
'22 Ram 2500
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:39 AM   #1279
jxnbbl

Finally finished off my inverter installation and tested! (posted results as replies in previous threads related to this).

installed new storage locks - I have 2 'common key' electronic locks for my doors. I bought 3 common key storage locks so now have one key for all 'trailer locks'.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #1280
jxnbbl

Finally - "done" for the season...

Installed a "hide-a-spare".

While I was under there working around the belly cover I noticed that the location was directly under my circuit box. So I labeled/noted all the romex wires that came "down" in the belly. Then I got an idea and ran a 12GA run of romex up into the 'electrical cabinet'...coiled 4ft of it....and then ran it the length of the trailer and coiled another 4ft. I'll figure out how I want to configure my inverter circuits later, but that will be useful since I had it all opened up at both ends.

One note - I was extremely surprised when noting the circuits above...the entire 'passenger side' of the trailer is one circuit labeled "GFI"...this happens to be:

1. the outside kitchen fridge
2. the extra plug in the outside kitchen
3. the plug in the 1/2 bath
4. the pop up plug in the island
5. the under cabinet plug in the kitchen
6. the plug in the master bath.
7. the outdoor plug.

That is all on a 14GA 15A circuit. That's crazy!