Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
lescarp2

Battery life when dry camping

We just moved up from a popup to a 2011 Larado 303TG. I had 2 batteries for the popup trailer which was nice when dry camping. We could easily go 2-3 nights in cool weather with the furnace running frequently through the night and not run the batteries down (we were conservative in using the lights). The 303TG has only 1 battery and I am concerned that with all the additional interior lights, a larger furnace, and all the other 12V electrical items (stabilizers, slide-outs, tongue jack) a single battery might not get us through a weekend of dry camping. I am wondering if I should spend the money to get the battery box frame reconfigured to hold 2 batteries. The dealer tells me it will cost around $300 plus the battery. I was a little suprised that the new camper didn't come with an option for addiing a 2nd battery. We don't do a lot of dry camping but I would like to occasionally camp in some nice places here in Colorado that don't have hookups. I do have a small generator and could recharge each day but I am still wondering if a second battery would be worthwhile. Appreciate any and all opinions on this topic.
lescarp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I think most RVer's would agree that having two batteries is the way to go. Some use and are happy with 2-12 volt batteries but my preference is 2-6v "golf cart" batteries. I use Trojans and have had good service from them. Proper maintenance on a regular basis prolongs their life. They are heavier and more expensive but worth it and that is what I would recommend.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Bowline

One battery not enough

I'm assuming that you have 1 12-volt group 24 lead acid battery that has a capacity of about 90 amp hours. Only 45 of those are useable, as it is a bad idea to go below 50% charge. Each of your incandescent bulbs uses about 1.5 amps per hour. If you are running 3 fixtures with 2 bulbs in each, that's 9 amps per hour. In only 5 hours, your battery would be effectively depleted. Add in your furnace, which draws 6 amps per hour when it's running, and your single battery looks even more inadequate. I say go for the second battery. It's surprising your unit did not come set up for a second battery.

I replaced 4 of my incandescents with LEDs. All of them running at once use less than 1 amp per hour. When I boondock, I use only these. That way, my 2 group 24 batteries will go for nearly a week without a charge, including using the furnace. (Don't waste your money buying cheap LEDs. The newer and more expensive ones put out plenty of light.)
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
ktmracer

I changed the interior lights on my Outback 295RE to LED. I have two Trojan T-125's. I can easily go 3-4 days on the batteries if I don't run the furnace. We are careful, but not anal about using the lights. If we run the furnace, I get between 1 and 2 days depending on outside temps. Furnace on my draws about 8 amps. Has to be real cold (<15f at night, 40F during the day) before the batteries only last 1 day with the furnace. One issue with batteries and furnace operation, is that battery capacity goes down as temp goes down. at 0F battery capacity is about 50% of what it is at 75F. Not good when it's real cold and you run the furnace.
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
lescarp2

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking we will bite the bullet and get the trailer configured to hold another battery box.

2011 Laredo 303TG
2008 Ford F250 diesel
lescarp2 is offline   Reply With Quote