Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
caberto

About to pull trigger on 324rlb

Hi all, I'm new to this forum... and would like to ask some questions.

We've haggled down to a great price on a new 2010 Cougar 324RLB, and have put a deposit on it. This, after looking at many different 5th wheels, weights, features, floorplans, etc... at many different dealers. We really like the floorplan, weights and price.

I have a 2005 GMC Duramax/Allison 2500HD, CC, 4x4, 6.5' bed. Recently weighed at 7050# with 2 adults and 3/4 tank of gas, and with lots of heavy tools in toolbox, that I wouldn't need to carry when pulling.

All weights fall well within the truck's limits, but with the pin weight (when loaded) potentially coming close to the truck's GVWR with passengers and full tank, however not close to pushing the the RAWR.

I'm having the dealer install a Reese manual slide 15K hitch - which should be fine for a 12K GVWR 5th wheel, and a P3 brake controller.

I will probably also add air bags at some point to help smooth out the ride some - any comments on this?

Some questions:

1. Can anyone with this 5th wheel or similar, post their actual pin weight when loaded? Keystone indicates pin wt at 1515# dry, I am guessing it would be around 1800# when loaded. Is that a close guess? This is the only weight that would get me close to a max # of all weights (gvwr of truck). I think I will be fine (well within rear axle weight, if close to or just over gvwr), but just want to get real world pin weights.

2. Has anyone had issues with this model? Or comments?

3. Does anyone have high praise for it ;-) ? Or comments?

4. Has anyone replaced the rear extending bumper with a solid bumper to attach a hitch receiver/receivers? I would like to tow my motorcycle with a swivel wheel type trailer behind the 5th wheel - this is not a deal breaker if I can't, but a "really, really, really nice-to-have" if possible.

5. At 36'3", how much of a problem would it be finding campsites to accommodate this size 5th wheel?

Any other pertinent information you would like to share about this unit would be greatly appreciated.

This will be my first 5th wheel, I've rented and pulled several TT's in the past for camping, and have done A LOT of tent camping, which I still enjoy, but am really looking forward to owning and being able to go out with a 5th wheel at any time with my family.

Thanks!

- Albert
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
ptodd47

That truck will pull a large house....dont worry about the weights....I had a 13000 lb 5er and couldnt even tell it was back there.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
chuckretnav

Air Bags

I was going to get air bags on my chevy 3500hd so it would be a smoother ride. Im a retired truck driver and to me thats what air bags where for. My dealer for my 327res it is a waste of money. they don't smooth out the ride like they do witha a 18 wheeler but for a pickup trk they only help in keeping the bed from riding low from when you have so much weight in it. If you want to haul dirt they said sure go for it.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote