Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
therink

2010 Outback 329fb pin box welds- should I be concerned?

Hi all
I have a new (bought April this year) 2010 Outback Sydney 329fb 5'er. I have become obsessed with all the negative posts in the forums about Lippert frames, so I thought I would check my pinbox welds (the ones I can see anyway without removing the underside). Attached are photos from the underside rear welds on the pinbox, where they meet the front cross beam. It is hard to take pics of welds up close, they are a bit blurry. These welds are rusted and the weld beads is sloppy. I don't see any cracking or signs of stress but was wondering if I should be concerned. The side welds (cant see in the pics) look clean, shiny and neat weld beads. I do get quite a bit of creaking, and crackling sounds coming from inside the side walls near front slideout when lowering the pinbox onto the truck hitch. I dont think the pinbox is "stressing" though. I was told these sounds when lowering onto hitch may be normal (hence why they now use a exterior wall 5" expansion joint at the front lower corner of the front slide). It would be painful to make a service appointment to have this looked at if I am just over reacting. Also, I really don't trust any of the "techs" at my local CW where I bought it for accurate advice. Oh yeah, I also noticed when waxing my front cap the other day, a small (say 4") hairline and straight surface crack on the curbside corner, just below the upper marker light. It looks cosmetic more than anything. I would like some input from you with frame experience. Sometimes, reading the horror stories in these forums make me a nervous wreck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curbside 1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	150   Click image for larger version

Name:	curbside.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	151   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside 1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	152   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	153  

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The welds look fine to me .... the prep and paint on the other hand. If it were mine, I would clean, prime and paint the welds on the pin box and not give it another thought. As for the crack in the nose ..... I would worry about water intrusion when the plastic is flexing at highway speeds. This is something I would want fixed under warranty no matter how inconvenient before it leads to future damage. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
Terrydactile

Just from looking at the pictures I tend to agree with Hank, but visual weld inspection is tricky and even trickier in pictures. If I were you and was really concerned I would take it to a weld shop and let them at least look at it before taking it back to the dealer. Don't let them do anything to it because its still under warranty, you just need an opinion from someone that is in the trade.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Jim W

I would use a dye penetrate that will show weld cracking, most weld shops should have this material. as a visual inspection. First you clean the area by wire brushing the weld surface. Cleaning off the rust and loose paint on the welds. You then spread this liquid on following the directions by the manufacture. If the weld is cracked and or has pulled away from the parent material, the dye penetrate will seep into the cracks. As this will show up in the cracks and you will then know if you have a weld failure or not.
Some weld shops now have ultra sound equipment that can be used to check for weld cracks. This is a more positive way to check for weld failures but more expensive equipment to buy and use.
Good luck
Jim
P. S. I do have a Extended Lippert Pin Box for sale modle number 1621.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote