Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
LeeMedic

Transmission Service

How often do you have your transmission serviced on your TV?

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

When I used to put a lot of mileage on I had fluid and filter changed around every 50,000. Now that I don't drive that much (retired) I do service every 25 to 30,000 and have all adjustments brought into specs. '94 was my first auto trans and this is the routine I got into since then. Works for me, Hank (I know what the manual says but they don't have to pay the sevice bills.)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Bluewater

I like to service my Allison about every 25K because most of that mileage is towing. Better safe than sorry I think.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
fla-gypsy

I follow the manufacturers recommendations. Doing anything else would make no sense at all to me.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Jim W

I do mine every 50K change out both of my filters and install up to 9.5 Quarts of ATF+4 transmission oil. I have an extra deep pan which provides for more capacity.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Cool Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
How often do you have your transmission serviced on your TV?
Each to his own. I did mine about 100,000km. You might be interested in this link for your Ford 7.3 //http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/1999faq/Maintenance-AutoT.htm
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
wtxdxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
I do mine every 50K change out both of my filters and install up to 9.5 Quarts of ATF+4 transmission oil. I have an extra deep pan which provides for more capacity.
Jim W.
I need to service my transmission. I've never done it myself but am thinking of giving it a try. Do you change just what you're able to drain or do you flush out the lines as well?

Alan
wtxdxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxdxer View Post
I need to service my transmission. I've never done it myself but am thinking of giving it a try. Do you change just what you're able to drain or do you flush out the lines as well?

Alan
Alan,
I just change out the transmission oil in the transmission case and leave the oil that is in the torque converter and the cooler plus lines alone. I also make sure to change out both of my filters that are in the transmission case with the 68RFE auto. One is a spin on filter and the other is the pan style push on filter.
I am not a big fan of flushing the cooler and lines and installing new transmission oil in these components when flushing. I feel that when flushing is done the debris that are lodged in the cooler can become dislodge and these will end up in the transmission causing damage to the valves and clutches in the transmission. Not all of the debris will be flushed out of the cooler and lines and trapped by the flushing equipment these debris will than end up in the transmission.

Jim W
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
wtxdxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Alan,
I just change out the transmission oil in the transmission case and leave the oil that is in the torque converter and the cooler plus lines alone.
Jim W
Thanks Jim! Doing some more research online many are of the same opinion. I checked out the access to the bolts on my transmission pan yesterday and it looks like a fairly easy job. My vehicle is a 2000 Silverado 2500.

Alan
wtxdxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Brantlaker

Trans service

I use my F250 for Snow Plowing when not towing so I service it every 30,000 miles.My experiance (35 years auto/truck service manager) drop the pan and change the filter and the fluid that came out also see what is in the pan and go from there if chuncks of clutch or seal parts ar presant.Adjust what can be adjusted if needed.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Canuck View Post
Each to his own. I did mine about 100,000km. You might be interested in this link for your Ford 7.3 //http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/1999faq/Maintenance-AutoT.htm
This is a bad link. Can you repost it?

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Cool Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
This is a bad link. Can you repost it?
Darn thing had too many forward slashes. Edited it and seems to work but the original post still shows those leading slashes. I'll try one more time.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/199...ance-AutoT.htm
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One "unique" bit of information about the F150, from 2010 and newer (Not sure about the 2009) there is no transmission dipstick, thus no transmission fill port. Changing the transmission fluid on these trucks is not as straight forward as on vehicles with a fill port. There is a method described in the service manual, but don't expect to just go to Autozone and buy 8 quarts of ATF, a filter and gasket and think you're done.

I can't say much about other brands, but apparently Ford is of the "mindset" with the newer F150's that "backyard maintenance" on the transmission at least, is not something they want us to do. There is most likely a reason why they made the decision to delete the fill tube and dipstick, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Any F150 owners have any ideas?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One "unique" bit of information about the F150, from 2010 and newer (Not sure about the 2009) there is no transmission dipstick, thus no transmission fill port. Changing the transmission fluid on these trucks is not as straight forward as on vehicles with a fill port. There is a method described in the service manual, but don't expect to just go to Autozone and buy 8 quarts of ATF, a filter and gasket and think you're done.

I can't say much about other brands, but apparently Ford is of the "mindset" with the newer F150's that "backyard maintenance" on the transmission at least, is not something they want us to do. There is most likely a reason why they made the decision to delete the fill tube and dipstick, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Any F150 owners have any ideas?
When I bought my 2001 Chevy pick-up truck the dealer principle (small dealership) stated that the manufactures where trending towards a closed engine bay that only the dealer could access. He stated that study groups by the manufacture have found out that most people do not service or know how to service their automobiles (cars&trucks) any more. So therefore they return to a service garage to provide the needed service. So with this in mind the manufactures are trying to drive service work to the dealer to improve profitability for the dealer. Look at the need to remove the cab of a pick-up truck on some diesel trucks to service the injectors and turbos of these vehicles.

Another point is cost reduction at work; the manufacturer is saving the cost of machining the port in the transmission, the dip-stick cost and tube cost. The manufacture has also eliminated the potential of a leak point from the dipstick port in the case.

My wife has A VW TDI Jetta that need to be serviced by the dealer to change out the fluid for the DSG automatic transmission or a specialized service garage that has the special equipment to do the work. Dealer profitability at work.

Jim W.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
game warden

Most of the manufactures have gone to no dip stick. Ford,Dodge,Chrysler ect not uncomon any more but I am of the mind set that I want to check my fluid level at my will. I would recomend to get it flushed ! not taking the pan off and relpacing the filter and fluid. Most of the filters any more are just screens that keep the chuncks from going thur the transmission in case of a failure. Most of the the chemical companys like BG,M.O.C or Valvoline have a warranty also to them .....if you have your transmission serviced every 30k and at 100k transmission goes out they would pay for the repair! would recomend service at 25-30 k to anyone. Most transmission failures are fluid and temp related few are from a broken part or a defective part. Just my 2 cents on it. http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgprotectionplan.htm or http://www.mocwarranty.com/
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

On the superduty trucks Ford is now putting a spin on transmission filter outside the transmission so on "bigger trucks" they recognize the need for filtration. In fact, Trailer Life has an article on transmission filters in this month's issue. I've seen several add on kits to do the same for other applications. Maybe we're hanging on to "old superstition" by wanting to filter transmission fluid? Maybe it helps?? Maybe it's a myth??? At any rate, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could check my fluid levels, see and smell the fluid like I did years ago. I guess Ford's "better idea" with saving a couple of bucks on a $50,000 truck makes my "wishes" obsolete ? Hmmmmm I think I remember reading somewhere about a dipstick retrofit kit. Google is my friend.... I'll let you know.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by game warden View Post
Most of the manufactures have gone to no dip stick. Ford,Dodge,Chrysler ect not uncomon any more but I am of the mind set that I want to check my fluid level at my will. I would recomend to get it flushed ! not taking the pan off and relpacing the filter and fluid. Most of the filters any more are just screens that keep the chuncks from going thur the transmission in case of a failure. Most of the the chemical companys like BG,M.O.C or Valvoline have a warranty also to them .....if you have your transmission serviced every 30k and at 100k transmission goes out they would pay for the repair! would recomend service at 25-30 k to anyone. Most transmission failures are fluid and temp related few are from a broken part or a defective part. Just my 2 cents on it. http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgprotectionplan.htm or http://www.mocwarranty.com/
Maybe with the Ford 150's and the Chevy/GMC, Ram 1500 light duty trucks but not on the HD's trucks at least with the diesel engines. The Chevy/GMC Allison and the RAM 68RFE have two filters each the Ford has one internal filter.

I have changed my Ram already at 15,000 miles and will now be change again at 60,000 miles. I also run a Mag-Hytec deep oil pan that adds 2.5 quarts more of transmission fluid.

The debate on flush and fill goes on for every but the manufactures do not recommend flush&fill unless there is a catastrophically failure to the transmission.

On several diesel forums this question has been raised by newbie’s and the response has been no. If you do flush&fill you will end up rebuilding the transmission with in 10k of the flush&fill do to debris left behind.
I have been driving HD vehicles for over 20 years and most have had over 100k without transmission issue an I have never flush& filled the transmission.
Jim W.