Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
Socaldave

Getting more out of your A/C unit

The factory yet again did a fine job of installing your A/C unit, connecting the duct to the plenum and taping off all the holes. Hell my 6 year old grandson could have done a better job than what the factory did. I had looked at getting that RV Airflow but couldn't see paying $170 for a piece of Styrofoam so I followed what this guy did. I also noticed that the registers were leaking due to them not being taped well to the ducting. Made a huge difference in cooling and db level and cost was less than $20 in materials. Sorry didn't take any pics but as you can see in the video it is pretty strait forward.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:44 AM   #2
Laredo Tugger

After watching this video and seeing a few others available on You Tube I have to ask if this modification is worth the effort?
I have two A/C units on my 5er and most of the time I run them with the dumps open, this modification as I understand eliminates the "dump" functions of these units.
Would it be better to install the foam baffles and divert air flow to the ducted vents or continue cooling through the dump vents?
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:06 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
After watching this video and seeing a few others available on You Tube I have to ask if this modification is worth the effort?
I have two A/C units on my 5er and most of the time I run them with the dumps open, this modification as I understand eliminates the "dump" functions of these units.
Would it be better to install the foam baffles and divert air flow to the ducted vents or continue cooling through the dump vents?
Thanks
RMc
I think that's the 64 thousand dollar question. With our unit we use the dump feature every time we set up. Buy here's the BUT. Our A/C unit sets right above the end of the kitchen counter. With the 3 dump vents open it blows the air directly towards the sink/counter, across from that on the couch, and the rear vent directs air back to the fridge and dinette. So when setting up it blows the air where the DW is doing her chores inside while I do mine outside.

With the dump vents open the A/C unit sounds like a cat launch on an aircraft carrier but it works. I've experimented with leaving the dump vents closed and it seems to me to take much longer to cool the trailer. When we first set up we don't care if the front bedroom or rear bunk house is hot as we aren't in those areas initially. If it's extreme hot I'll close the bedroom doors and pull the cutian in back to cool the center quicker. After the main room is nice and cool we close the dump vents, open up the ends and the A/C will keep up in the center space while cooling off the bedrooms.

Long explination but I don't know how to make it more consice.. So for me, I'm not willing to spend the money to get a reduction in noise at the expense of the dump vents. How your unit is used or if would be worth the investment only you can tell.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:29 AM   #4
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think that's the 64 thousand dollar question. With our unit we use the dump feature every time we set up. Buy here's the BUT. Our A/C unit sets right above the end of the kitchen counter. With the 3 dump vents open it blows the air directly towards the sink/counter, across from that on the couch, and the rear vent directs air back to the fridge and dinette. So when setting up it blows the air where the DW is doing her chores inside while I do mine outside.

With the dump vents open the A/C unit sounds like a cat launch on an aircraft carrier but it works. I've experimented with leaving the dump vents closed and it seems to me to take much longer to cool the trailer. When we first set up we don't care if the front bedroom or rear bunk house is hot as we aren't in those areas initially. If it's extreme hot I'll close the bedroom doors and pull the cutian in back to cool the center quicker. After the main room is nice and cool we close the dump vents, open up the ends and the A/C will keep up in the center space while cooling off the bedrooms.

Long explination but I don't know how to make it more consice.. So for me, I'm not willing to spend the money to get a reduction in noise at the expense of the dump vents. How your unit is used or if would be worth the investment only you can tell.
Much like your RV my main cabin A/C adequately cools the living area (with the dumps open) and my upstairs A/C is designed to cool the forward bath and bedroom area. I usually only run both to cool the trailer down and when taking a shower. Sometimes I will run the bedroom (upstairs) unit at night but the amount of air flow from the vents in the bedroom is minimal.
I also use a fan on the floor in the main cabin (living area) that is aimed upwards at the A/C to help circulate the air better. I recently purchased a de-humidifier (south US) and noticed that the air in the trailer is drier and there does not seem to be as much "run off" from the roof A/C drains. The unit I purchased has a pump function and I am still trying to figure out where to run a drain line from the living room slide out. For now the unit is in the living area and a once a day fluid dump down the kitchen sink is working.
I might look at this vent modification for the upstairs unit, but it sure is nice to step out of the shower right into a dump vent flow. Choices, choices......
Thanks for the reply,
RMc
Old 06-24-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I have to agree that how a person uses their A/C would dictate if the dump feature was valuable. For us it is but others will have a different view I'm sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:29 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

I have an RV airflow installed and it is well worth the money.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have an RV airflow installed and it is well worth the money.
Thanks George.
Like anyone else I was looking for a cheap, self installed solution. If I have to spend a little for a better result so be it.
Question, do you still have the air dump function with your install?
Thanks
RMc