Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2022, 09:09 PM   #1
Jonahex2099

New Washington Member

My wife and I purchased a Coachmen Clipper 21RD about 5 seasons ago and have, after much searching, settled on the Keystone Passport GT 2704RK(WE) as the trailer that will take us into retirement.

We have started the purchase process and will be finalizing it here in the next couple of weeks. Our tow vehicle is a rather special GMC Sierra 1500 that was purposefully built for towing heavy loads for a construction company that went belly up. The truck, for a half ton, is a beast, and I have no worries about being able to tow the Passport with it.

What I’m interested most in is if there are any owners of this specific model out there and what their thoughts are. We’re already committed to the floor plan (my wife is terribly hard to please and this model met all of her criteria).

Anyway - looking forward to hearing from any Keystone Passport GT owner, satisfied or not, to get our expectations in line with reason.
Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:28 PM   #2
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your impending purchase!

While we don't have experience with the Passport, I'm sure the other members who have will be along soon.

Take care & have fun!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:45 PM   #3
Jonahex2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your impending purchase!

While we don't have experience with the Passport, I'm sure the other members who have will be along soon.

Take care & have fun!
No worries! I’m honestly just happy to hear from any Keystone owner about overall experience, customer service experiences, etc. I’m realistic enough to know that “toys” of this size always come with unique issues - and I’m handy enough to get past a lot of issues…but it’s always good to get feedback on any larger issues with the manufacturer as a whole!

Old 06-20-2022, 03:39 AM   #4
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:08 AM   #5
jxnbbl

welcome from NH!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:00 AM   #6
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! Experiences are wide and varied and can be different between brands/models. Our overall experience has been good with our Monty. I’ve done many mods and repaired this and that but the trailer is very sound overall and we have enjoyed it since we bought it new 3 years ago.

The best advice I could give is carry tools and be prepared to fix stuff…there’s always some little thing even if the trailer is a good one. Hopefully someone who has a Passport can report on their experiences.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:38 AM   #7
Jonahex2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Welcome aboard! Experiences are wide and varied and can be different between brands/models. Our overall experience has been good with our Monty. I’ve done many mods and repaired this and that but the trailer is very sound overall and we have enjoyed it since we bought it new 3 years ago.

The best advice I could give is carry tools and be prepared to fix stuff…there’s always some little thing even if the trailer is a good one. Hopefully someone who has a Passport can report on their experiences.
Thanks! One of the first things I got for and keep in our current Clipper is a good toolkit for that very reason. We haven’t heavily modded this one short some convenience things, and surprisingly for what our first rig is, we haven’t experienced many issues. Obviously that could change.

We are on season five in this particular camper and this year have discovered the need for more butt room…(this one has no slides)…I have length and weight requirements, my wife has kitchen and bathroom requirements - and the Passport meets all of those exceedingly well. So between now and delivery data I’m absorbing all the info on the Passport GT series that I can and Keystone in general.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:52 AM   #8
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on your new Passport. Not sure if you have heard of a PDI (predelivery inspection), but if you will do a search on this forum for the PDI it will lead you to a form you can use. This is very valuable to use for the walk thru on your new Passport prior to signing the papers.

Also, I have a daughter in Battle Ground Wa. Been trying to swap her some south Georgia HOT weather for your NW cool and wet weather.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:58 PM   #9
Jonahex2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on your new Passport. Not sure if you have heard of a PDI (predelivery inspection), but if you will do a search on this forum for the PDI it will lead you to a form you can use. This is very valuable to use for the walk thru on your new Passport prior to signing the papers.

Also, I have a daughter in Battle Ground Wa. Been trying to swap her some south Georgia HOT weather for your NW cool and wet weather.
We could use some warmth for sure.

Very familiar with the PDI process having been through it once when we purchased our current camper. Will seek out the form here as well. Thanks!!!

Old 06-20-2022, 01:28 PM   #10
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper!

Just a word of advise ... it doesn't matter what anyone has to say about your specific camper, good, bad, or ugly. Nope, not at all. Our opinions don't matter. The only one that matters is your wife. You've heard it before, "Happy wife. Happy life!"

If this is a brand new trailer and you are the first time purchaser, you can expect some things will need warranty work. Being a previous RV owner, you are already familiar with the various systems on a camper, plus the materials and workmanship that go into them. Be prepared for some issues (if it's brand new), but also be prepared to tackle some of those issues yourself, especially if they are minor. The wait time is still very long at RV dealership repair shops, like 2 or 3 months or more. So, if you can fix it yourself, do so, even if it costs you a few dollars. If it's something major, like axles, roof leaking, for something like that, then get your dealership involved.

I'm on my 3rd Keystone camper which is also my 4th Thor Industries camper. All of them purchased brand new, and all of them had issues that took a year of travel and use to flush out. After the first year, things stopped breaking or falling apart, mostly because I fixed them myself and fixed them better than factory installed.

Expect issues, and then be delighted as ever when you make a trip and return home successfully and nothing broke or fell apart!
Old 06-22-2022, 01:33 PM   #11
Jonahex2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper!

Just a word of advise ... it doesn't matter what anyone has to say about your specific camper, good, bad, or ugly. Nope, not at all. Our opinions don't matter. The only one that matters is your wife. You've heard it before, "Happy wife. Happy life!"

If this is a brand new trailer and you are the first time purchaser, you can expect some things will need warranty work. Being a previous RV owner, you are already familiar with the various systems on a camper, plus the materials and workmanship that go into them. Be prepared for some issues (if it's brand new), but also be prepared to tackle some of those issues yourself, especially if they are minor. The wait time is still very long at RV dealership repair shops, like 2 or 3 months or more. So, if you can fix it yourself, do so, even if it costs you a few dollars. If it's something major, like axles, roof leaking, for something like that, then get your dealership involved.

I'm on my 3rd Keystone camper which is also my 4th Thor Industries camper. All of them purchased brand new, and all of them had issues that took a year of travel and use to flush out. After the first year, things stopped breaking or falling apart, mostly because I fixed them myself and fixed them better than factory installed.

Expect issues, and then be delighted as ever when you make a trip and return home successfully and nothing broke or fell apart!
I'm fairly handy and most little things (and even some bigger things - I once repaired the slide out on my fathers older 5th wheel, just had to stare at it for a few minutes) I can handle.

One of the things we did during this process (or 2nd time around) is during our good hard look at the trailer - we noted everything we saw that was wrong, off, etc, then had the sales guy annotate that all of that would be addressed ahead of delivery. I already have a laundry list of things that I want to change/modify as well - which I'll do over time...

As to the happy wife comment - this one was selected very much because of that...the floor plan had to wow her - and we've looked at dozens - and this one is the only one that met her requirements and mine down the line - and the one or two things that weren't exact were things we could both live with...