Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
Kaylodad

Cougar furnace lights then shuts off - solved

I know this will help exactly one person (me) but I'm putting it out there anyway:

If your furnace fan starts, the furnace lights but goes out after 3-5 seconds, remove the mud dauber screen your dealer recommended you install.

After a chilly weekend with no heat at 10,000 feet and an hour or two of frustrated googling (don't even call dealer for service, "we're taking wait list appointments for the fall" ) I went with the - no way this is it option.

ugghh
Kaylodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

As I recall Danny (Sourdough) had the same experience. I didn’t recommend them when I did walk throughs along with the screens on the refer vents.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylodad View Post
I know this will help exactly one person (me) but I'm putting it out there anyway:

If your furnace fan starts, the furnace lights but goes out after 3-5 seconds, remove the mud dauber screen your dealer recommended you install.

After a chilly weekend with no heat at 10,000 feet and an hour or two of frustrated googling (don't even call dealer for service, "we're taking wait list appointments for the fall" ) I went with the - no way this is it option.

ugghh
Unfortunately, you are not the first to discover this and I'd make a "hefty wager" that you won't be the last.... Some furnaces, some water heaters, some refrigerators work "perfectly well" with the screens in place, some simply don't... It's a "crap shoot" to try to make the gamble before buying and installing them. Once you have them, if there's any change in operation, any problems with performance, remove the screen and hopefully the problem goes with the screen....

Glad you got it resolved and are "comfortable with heat at 10,000 feet !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
bsmith0404

One thing you can count on, they won’t build a nest in there while it’s being used. If they’re a problem in your area, just put some steel wool in the vent when it’s stored. Just don’t forget to take it out when it’s time to use it. Then again, the furnace shouldn’t light with it in there, so you’ll get a reminder.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #5
madweazl

Appreciate you posting it. Something I'll certainly file away and forget until needed.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Yes sir, those screens will cause a problem.

I had never used them and had never had issues but one year we had a bunch of large bees I'd never seen before kind of looking around for a home. I got screens for the water heater and furnace. Promptly afterward my furnace began doing what yours was doing - the over limit switch was kicking it off when it go too hot. Since it was a brand new problem and occurred as soon as I put that screen on I took it off - smooth sailing. Took the one of the water heater too...

And no, putting it out there will probably help more than just yourself; thanks.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:28 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

I had the drip tray from a refrigerator overflow. Discovered that the hose was made out of crumbly stuff and had to replace it but the original was full of the demon daubers.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:21 PM   #8
travelin texans

Had screens on the fridge, furnace intake & exhaust & the water heater on the last 3 5ers & never an issue with any of them. YMMV!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:29 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylodad View Post

ugghh
There have been several discussions espousing the pros & cons of add on bug screens. The fact is, they do restrict airflow. Is it enough to cause an isse? In your case as well as some others the removal of the screen and the return to "normal operations" would give evidence that the screen caused the issue. I suspect altitude was another contributing factor .

10,000' ASL is the altitude that as a private pilot the FAA requires the use of oxygen. The bug screens may not appear to be that restrictive but if you were to take the measurements of the wires covering the exhaust you might be suprised at the area it blocks. At that altitude the air is much thinner, therefore there's fewer air molecules for the fan to push against the sail switch. If the sail switch is just making contact unimpeded then the screen could be the tipping point.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:32 AM   #10
UKLimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Had screens on the fridge, furnace intake & exhaust & the water heater on the last 3 5ers & never an issue with any of them. YMMV!

Same here!
Our Website
UKLimey is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, furnace, light, lights