Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2022, 05:58 AM   #61
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedMarie View Post
From what I’ve been told from a couple Campground owners I know, it’s usually the insurance that makes the “No xyz breeds allowed”.

We’re seasonal and there’s a little ten pounder here who is not friendly at all. Not a breed restricted breed so she stays.....til she bites someone, I guess.
It's the little "they'e so cute", "they won't hurt you" non stop yappers always in attack mode that get on my nerves.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:08 AM   #62
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's the little "they'e so cute", "they won't hurt you" non stop yappers always in attack mode that get on my nerves.
I don't like the yappy doge either (altho most of that is lack of training). But they can often be nippy or biting. Difference to me is if I'm with grandkids and a little dog comes rushing aggressively then they will get kicked with a size 15 extra wide shoe like I was going for the winning point at the world cup. A pit bull doing that would have me reaching for a weapon. JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:43 AM   #63
JRTJH
Site Team

Years, maybe centuries ago, dogs were bred to achieve specific qualities to do specific tasks as domesticated animals, not as pets. Think Dachshunds, bred to be long/skinny to go down badger holes, German Shepards to protect, Labrador Retrivers to jump in cold water and bring back ducks/geese, English Setters to locate (and set when found) birds, German Wirehair/shorthair Pointers (to point, not set when found) birds, Beagles to chase rabbits through briars and underbrush, and the list goes on and on.

Pit Bulls were bred and developed with specific traits, to fight, bite and hold. It's not that any specific dog is hostile or aggressive, it's the breed's general instinctive traits that were created for a specific task....

Today, dogs are no longer "purchased as a work tool/partner" by most people. There's far more beagles "in the city than on rabbit preserves" and far more GWP's or GSP's in apartments than on wheat/corn fields" Not to say that some are still used to do work, but there's a difference in a work dog and a pet.

Most work dogs don't ride around in fifth wheels and spend nights in a campground (sure there's exceptions to any rule) but generally pets live a "life of leisure as a companion" compared to a "work dog that earns his keep in a different manner".

So, when a dog is taken out of his "intended role" and put in another role, those instinctive traits may (or may not) be manageable. Some are, some aren't, some aren't. A lot of the successful transition away from instinct acts depends on the time an owner spends training their dog.

It's impossible for a campground owner to determine on a case by case basis whether a specific pit bull is "instinctive or well trained" and most campgrounds would rather "play it safe" or "rely on our insurance company's decisions" to establish rules to protect "THEIR INVESTMENT" which to them is far more important than the accommodation of a "one night camper"....

So, rather than take a chance, many, maybe most campgrounds don't allow "pets of accepted specific breeds" to stay.

Honestly, I've seen more aggressive Pomeranians (ankle biters) than aggressive Pit Bulls, but I don't make the "insurance recommendations" or the "campground exclusions". That said, it's their rules, not always what we'd like, but still, their rules.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:31 AM   #64
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree with that. The worst, IMO are any dogs with ignorant owners who don’t pick up dog poop. We’re seasonal. Last year, one certain owner never picked up poop. A camper moved out (technically told to leave) and the next day, I saw the owner of the dog walk over, turn away from the dog, went home then drove off. We walked our dogs up there and sure enough, a fresh pile. I picked it up, my husband put the bag on their step.

This year, new people in a huge Solitude and two bully dogs. They walk down the hill, let the dogs potty nearer our camper. Don’t pick it up. I have two dogs. I’d never, ever allow them to poop without picking it up. If they keep it up, they will find it on their step.

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #65
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedMarie View Post
I agree with that. The worst, IMO are any dogs with ignorant owners who don’t pick up dog poop. We’re seasonal. Last year, one certain owner never picked up poop. A camper moved out (technically told to leave) and the next day, I saw the owner of the dog walk over, turn away from the dog, went home then drove off. We walked our dogs up there and sure enough, a fresh pile. I picked it up, my husband put the bag on their step.

This year, new people in a huge Solitude and two bully dogs. They walk down the hill, let the dogs potty nearer our camper. Don’t pick it up. I have two dogs. I’d never, ever allow them to poop without picking it up. If they keep it up, they will find it on their step.

Marie

Yes, where we winter it's the same thing. There are a few of us on the "poop" control team for lack of a better term. Walking up to them and visiting with them about the rules; picking up the poop and putting it on their steps; there are so many inconsiderate folks anymore you have to do something. A few years back we made up marker flags with numbers on them. When we observed someone not taking care of things we took a numbered flag and left a note on the offenders RV if we didn't talk to them and told them they needed to pick up poop at "flag xxx". Unfortunately many just don't care and it was more trouble than it was worth. The door step and direct talks seem to get more attention.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #66
jasin1

in Baltimore City one of the fancy condos had a problem with someone not picking up after their dog so they went the dna route..lol. https://www.popsci.com/science/artic...ting-dog-poop/
Old 06-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #67
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Years, maybe centuries ago, dogs were bred to achieve specific qualities to do specific tasks as domesticated animals, not as pets. Think Dachshunds, bred to be long/skinny to go down badger holes, German Shepards to protect, Labrador Retrivers to jump in cold water and bring back ducks/geese, English Setters to locate (and set when found) birds, German Wirehair/shorthair Pointers (to point, not set when found) birds, Beagles to chase rabbits through briars and underbrush, and the list goes on and on.

Pit Bulls were bred and developed with specific traits, to fight, bite and hold. It's not that any specific dog is hostile or aggressive, it's the breed's general instinctive traits that were created for a specific task....

Today, dogs are no longer "purchased as a work tool/partner" by most people. There's far more beagles "in the city than on rabbit preserves" and far more GWP's or GSP's in apartments than on wheat/corn fields" Not to say that some are still used to do work, but there's a difference in a work dog and a pet.

Most work dogs don't ride around in fifth wheels and spend nights in a campground (sure there's exceptions to any rule) but generally pets live a "life of leisure as a companion" compared to a "work dog that earns his keep in a different manner".

So, when a dog is taken out of his "intended role" and put in another role, those instinctive traits may (or may not) be manageable. Some are, some aren't, some aren't. A lot of the successful transition away from instinct acts depends on the time an owner spends training their dog.

It's impossible for a campground owner to determine on a case by case basis whether a specific pit bull is "instinctive or well trained" and most campgrounds would rather "play it safe" or "rely on our insurance company's decisions" to establish rules to protect "THEIR INVESTMENT" which to them is far more important than the accommodation of a "one night camper"....

So, rather than take a chance, many, maybe most campgrounds don't allow "pets of accepted specific breeds" to stay.

Honestly, I've seen more aggressive Pomeranians (ankle biters) than aggressive Pit Bulls, but I don't make the "insurance recommendations" or the "campground exclusions". That said, it's their rules, not always what we'd like, but still, their rules.
I have a 9 lb chihuahua and a 65 lb English Pointer. The most work they do is sit and shake for a biscuit. Their ancestors are rolling over in their doggie Graves.

P.S. John, you win a trophy for the most "words in quote" that I've ever read online or in my career. 😀 Just "pulling your chain" 😀
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #68
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
I have a 9 lb chihuahua and a 65 lb English Pointer. The most work they do is sit and shake for a biscuit. Their ancestors are rolling over in their doggie Graves.

P.S. John, you win a trophy for the most "words in quote" that I've ever read online or in my career. 😀 Just "pulling your chain" 😀
Around the campfire, you'll see me "raise both arms with two extended fingers" repeatedly when I'm talking (a habit I picked up from my Dad). My kids learned that when I was "quoting while talking" it was to "emphasize the words they needed to focus on at the time"....

So, trying to "mimick actual speech in a post", the quotation marks are "my way of raising my arms with two extended fingers on each hand"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #69
wiredgeorge

AIR QUOTES? I always thought that was sign language for OCD. And anyone kicks my dog will have to deal with me... I do bite. My dogs are little and we have never had a yapper or biter and small lap dogs are generally pretty docile if raised that way.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote