Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 04:03 AM   #1
Pathman

What do you leave on?

Hey all, so when you’re away from your RV for a length of time (5-7 days) say in your seasonal site, what do you leave on?

A/C-heat, fans only, do you just leave vents open (if properly covered), etc. ?
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:12 AM   #2
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
Hey all, so when you’re away from your RV for a length of time (5-7 days) say in your seasonal site, what do you leave on?

A/C-heat, fans only, do you just leave vents open (if properly covered), etc. ?

Vents Open only...but we don't live in the South where it is hot. All the vents have covers.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:32 AM   #3
Bustinbeards

I leave mine with the vents open and batteries pulled, no power hooked up.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:48 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Food in fridge? If it’s an RV fridge I would leave the LP turned on and set to auto. If the power goes out your fridge will switch to LP and keep the food fresh.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:15 AM   #5
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
I leave mine with the vents open and batteries pulled, no power hooked up.
Why batteries pulled?
Old 06-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #6
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Food in fridge? If it’s an RV fridge I would leave the LP turned on and set to auto. If the power goes out your fridge will switch to LP and keep the food fresh.
It’s not an RV fridge Chuck, but the Cougar does have 400 watts of solar, so I think batteries will take over fridge power if power goes out.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:28 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Vents Open only...but we don't live in the South where it is hot. All the vents have covers.
Even though we camp ever two to three weekends, we leave the trailer plugged in at the covered storage facility with the fridge on, but with all perishables removed. We do leave sodas, beer and water in the fridge year-round.

And especially in the summer the two MaxxAir vents are open, both vents have covers and we're under a 24 foot roof..
Old 06-08-2022, 07:38 AM   #8
Bustinbeards

Quote:
Why batteries pulled?
My camper is at my hunting property. I don’t have a 30A hook up, I don’t leave it hooked up to power because there is not a easy way to leave it that way when I am not there.

As far as the batteries, I don’t like to leave things that can “walk away” or disappear. I pull batteries to keep them topped off on a trickle charger at home.
Bustinbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:39 AM   #9
wrvond

How far away from home is the seasonal site?
My "seasonal site" is at the end of my house - hardly a day goes by that I'm not in the camper for one reason or another - so I leave the slides out and water connected (though not turned on) with the air conditioner running and the fridge full. The other day I drained and flushed all the holding tanks and drained the FW tank. I pulled in both slides as well because I don't anticipate going inside for a week or so but the air conditioner and 12vdc refrigerator are both still on. This is the condition I would leave the camper in if it were located a day's drive or less away.
If the seasonal site were located more than a day's drive away, I would completely winterize the camper after each use to include turning off the refrigerator and propping the doors open.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:48 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It’s not an RV fridge Chuck, but the Cougar does have 400 watts of solar, so I think batteries will take over fridge power if power goes out.
Unless. It's cloudy for a few days.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #11
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
My camper is at my hunting property. I don’t have a 30A hook up, I don’t leave it hooked up to power because there is not a easy way to leave it that way when I am not there.

As far as the batteries, I don’t like to leave things that can “walk away” or disappear. I pull batteries to keep them topped off on a trickle charger at home.
Copy that BB.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #12
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
How far away from home is the seasonal site?
My "seasonal site" is at the end of my house - hardly a day goes by that I'm not in the camper for one reason or another - so I leave the slides out and water connected (though not turned on) with the air conditioner running and the fridge full. The other day I drained and flushed all the holding tanks and drained the FW tank. I pulled in both slides as well because I don't anticipate going inside for a week or so but the air conditioner and 12vdc refrigerator are both still on. This is the condition I would leave the camper in if it were located a day's drive or less away.
If the seasonal site were located more than a day's drive away, I would completely winterize the camper after each use to include turning off the refrigerator and propping the doors open.
Two hours away, I left it pretty much as you described.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:01 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

If it's 2 hours away and you're there every 5-7 days I think I would leave it just as described. A couple things you might think about are a dehumidifier (don't know if your location warrants one). If the A/C isn't running the humidity can really get going...at least in FL it does. The other is a MicroAir thermostat where you can monitor inside outside temps, change settings etc. while you are away (if you have wifi at the seasonal place). I have no affiliation with them but sure have liked having their thermostat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If it's 2 hours away and you're there every 5-7 days I think I would leave it just as described. A couple things you might think about are a dehumidifier (don't know if your location warrants one). If the A/C isn't running the humidity can really get going...at least in FL it does. The other is a MicroAir thermostat where you can monitor inside outside temps, change settings etc. while you are away (if you have wifi at the seasonal place). I have no affiliation with them but sure have liked having their thermostat.
Copy that, I’ll check it out, thanks!