Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #41
Badbart56

Here is a little insight to what we in the transportation industry have coming at us now. It's a bit long but you may want to watch it as one way or another, it's going to affect us all.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #42
Shedboy

Diesel Exhaust Fluid, DEF Availability

Diesel Exhaust Fluid, DEF

Check-out -------> $11.38 US for 2.5 gal at:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...4?athbdg=L1200

Although simple chemically, home brew is difficult and costly. Be sure to check temperature specifications of off-brands, they may freeze at outdoor temperatures.

Price is on the increase, stock up now.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:52 AM   #43
adeakins

DEF Shortage is Real

The chief component of DEF is urea. Most of that comes from China followed by Europe. Ukraine and Russia produce urea. The same urea used in DEF is used also in fertilizer. With looming dislocations in urea supplies, China has greatly reduced exports so as to insure sufficient urea supplies for domestic fertilizer production. Ukraine and Russia are momentarily indisposed and distracted. Europe, likewise. Demand for diesel has increased substantially which suggest the demand for DEF has as well. As if that were not enough to keep diesel owners up at night, Wall Street speculators and hedge funds, being the black flys they are, see an opportunity to exploit your pain and that of the rest of the world to fatten their wallets by buying up existing supplies and hoarding them until prices increase exponentially. Oh, and why are we so dependent on China, Russia, Ukraine and Europe for something that is produced from natural gas — found abundantly in the U.S.? Well, look yo those charming lads and lassies running hedge funds and the rest of Wall Street. But, that’s a story for a future telling.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:55 AM   #44
chuckster57
Site Team

Very interesting video

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #45
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Have y'all heard rumors of an upcoming DEF shortage? Players include Blackstone Capital and one of the major railroads.
Someone has developed an interesting conspiracy theory, or we are in deep do-do pretty soon.
The demand for DEF will decrease due to diesel prices at the pump. I imagine commercial fleets and independents will have priority to ensure the transportation of goods. Maybe the public would see limited supplies or rationing.
2013 Jayco 26RLS
1996 Sunline 21' TT
1977 StarCraft Galaxy 8 pop-up
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:16 PM   #46
Shedboy

1. Walmart Store in Colorado shelf price, 2.5 gal for $13.98 (not including sales tax). Better price if ordered on the WEB, watch out for delivery fees., it's heavy.

2. Product reviews point out that "customers" purchase product, empty contents, fill container with water then return it for refund. If you purchase in store, check that the seal is unbroken.

3. Main ingredient is NOT Urea, it is distilled water.

4. There was plenty of stock at the Walmart I visited.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #47
rickhz

Check out this article which explains what's going on with DEF at the distribution level.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cf-in...170500942.html

"On Friday, April 8, 2022, Union Pacific informed CF Industries without advance notice that it was mandating certain shippers to reduce the volume of private cars on its railroad effective immediately. The Company was told to reduce its shipments by nearly 20%. CF Industries believes it will still be able to fulfill delivery of product already contracted for rail shipment to Union Pacific destinations, albeit with likely delays. However, because Union Pacific has told the Company that noncompliance will result in the embargo of its facilities by the railroad, CF Industries may not have available shipping capacity to take new rail orders involving Union Pacific rail lines to meet late season demand for fertilizer."

I saw an interview with someone who is a DEF shipper. He explained how many semi rigs one rail tanker keeps on the road, and that if you take 20% of their rail cars out of the system the industries which count on DEF are going to be in big, big trouble.
rickhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:31 PM   #48
Traveler2017

Did some checking with a friend that works in the Manufacturing of DEF. Apparently part of the Problem has to do with the Emission Chip and a current shortage of them. He also stated that it would seem that they are trying to Jack up the price of DEF.

I glad I am still running a gas engine.
VE7HSQ
Traveler2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #49
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
Product reviews point out that "customers" purchase product, empty contents, fill container with water then return it for refund. If you purchase in store, check that the seal is unbroken.
I had not heard about this before. After reading this I checked the 4 hubs I just purchased, one of them is missing the seal. It wasn’t just stuck inside the cap, it was completely gone. That jug will be going back to Walmart and I’ll be checking the replacement before I leave the store.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #50
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2017 View Post
I glad I am still running a gas engine.

If you watch the video in post 41 you will see that part of the CEO's complaint includes gasoline and ethanol shipments by Union Pacific, not just DEF and diesel fuel. This will affect ALL of us unless they can continue with shipments as they are now.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote