Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2022, 05:52 AM   #41
Falcon67

"Now I am lost, you mentioned in the post above, a 300 mile trip pulling the 14,000# trailer, just a large TT?"

Continental Cargo race trailer with bath package, tagged as an RV. 3100 lbs car, 400lb generator, two quads and misc support equipment, tools, fuel, etc.

"Did you have to wait 1000 miles before any towing? My truck (Ram diesel) had a break in period then an oil change and I was good to go.

I would think a high rpm gas engine would need a break in but I could be wrong"

I had about 600 on it, close enough.

In the way back, we bought a 2004 F-150 5.4L. Picked it up on a Wednesday with a still tacky Rhino Liner bed spray. New morning we hooked 6000lbs of car trailer and race car to the tail, loaded fuel jugs, food, equipment, etc and took off for San Antonio Raceway, about 240 miles distant. Truck had 30ish miles on it. We traded it October 20 for the wife's new F-150 at 160K. No issues. Only engine related repair was having to replace one coil pack around 130K. Oil changes were at 4K~6K intervals and after 100K I switched to 10w30 vs the 5w-20 normal requirement. No issues with chain followers and such.

The F-150 had about 1500 on it before we pulled the Keystone to Albuquerque and back. I did have an oil change done after that. I'll be much more picky about a dual turbo motor oil change mostly because oil is the life blood of a turbo. And most of that 1000+ mile trip the turbos were running in the 7~10 PSI range, so it was working the pull.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:08 AM   #42
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChambers View Post
Well..... I finally took ownership of the new rig. No photos towing but here's one at one of my remodels.

Specs-

2022 F350 DRW FX4
Lariat Ultimate
6.7L Diesel
4.10 gears

So far, she drives like a dream. Once the camper gets done with the warranty work, I'll give an update.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be passing the offering plate for assistance with this payment.
Nice looking F350...congrats. Good move with the 4.10's. I had a '17 F350 DRW with the 4.10's but it had a 6 speed. I used the tow/haul mode and engaged the exhaust brake and had no trouble stopping a 17K pound 5th wheel. Turning radius is not the best but you never want to jack in these large campers with the stock suspensions that look marginal to me. Contractor that bought my dually stopped by yesterday and already put 17K miles on it in 6 months. Happy Motoring with the new dually.

Tags
tow