Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
jasin1

I95 SC road fund

Hey guys …I know it’s kinda short notice ..but would you all like to chip in a few bucks to get I95 south of Lake Marion resurfaced?

I’m thinking it doesn’t have to be anything fancy…just a continuous asphalt layer over both lanes to fill in the roughly 600000 potholes along the stretch to the GA border.
The road currently looks like it was made out of precast sections of concrete that the all of the different high school vo-tech classes made and then shipped to the roadway and placed end to end

Does SC get federal funds to maintain 95?…maybe nobody told them? Might be a chunk of money sitting in a bank account somewhere…

Anyway I appreciate your help…if it goes well maybe we can do another round of fundraising and get a third lane added next year
Old 04-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Sorry buddy, if I had the extra cash it would go to repaving the stretch of US 40 between the Little Gunpowder Falls and route 152. I swear it's gotten like the road from Kuwait to Baghdad after the Gulf War.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Sorry buddy, if I had the extra cash it would go to repaving the stretch of US 40 between the Little Gunpowder Falls and route 152. I swear it's gotten like the road from Kuwait to Baghdad after the Gulf War.
Oh yeah …that is a bad section…maybe we can fix that with whatever cash is left over…they have only been working on that few mile stretch of 40 for a couple of years now…give them some time …Rome wasn’t built overnight
Old 04-04-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I keep thinking that the county road from our house to the highway is going to be "reduced to gravel" any time now. The county resurfaced it about 10 years ago. They keep patching the holes every spring. Last year, in the fall, there were probalby 200 potholes going into winter. When the road "iced over" it was smooth and even the widened shoulders were driveable... They plowed, maybe 3 times all winter (we used the other end of the road to get to the highway) and when all the ice melted, those 200 potholes had all "dropped their babies" and now there's probably 2000 potholes.

So, as much as I'd like to help in your funding of that stretch of highway, I've got a "closer to home issue" that needs my attention. I was thinking that every rain this spring, if I dump a bag of redi-mix in a pothole and put an orange cone over it until it sets up ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Oh yeah …that is a bad section…maybe we can fix that with whatever cash is left over…they have only been working on that few mile stretch of 40 for a couple of years now…give them some time …Rome wasn’t built overnight
If they spent as much time actually working on the road instead of setting up cones and closing one lane in each direction for a couple of miles it would have been finished a long time ago. They have been throwing blacktop in the holes for years but when they started replacing those two bridges they stopped doping that. I guess they don't want to waste money on filling pot holes.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If they spent as much time actually working on the road instead of setting up cones and closing one lane in each direction for a couple of miles it would have been finished a long time ago. They have been throwing blacktop in the holes for years but when they started replacing those two bridges they stopped doping that. I guess they don't want to waste money on filling pot holes.
Yeah it’s a mess through there
Old 04-04-2022, 01:47 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I keep thinking that the county road from our house to the highway is going to be "reduced to gravel" any time now. The county resurfaced it about 10 years ago. They keep patching the holes every spring. Last year, in the fall, there were probalby 200 potholes going into winter. When the road "iced over" it was smooth and even the widened shoulders were driveable... They plowed, maybe 3 times all winter (we used the other end of the road to get to the highway) and when all the ice melted, those 200 potholes had all "dropped their babies" and now there's probably 2000 potholes.

So, as much as I'd like to help in your funding of that stretch of highway, I've got a "closer to home issue" that needs my attention. I was thinking that every rain this spring, if I dump a bag of redi-mix in a pothole and put an orange cone over it until it sets up ......
Yeah I understand …lol. …I did see two rvs pulled over on that stretch …one fifth wheel had a blown drivers side tire…shredded…don’t know if it was from the potholes or low air pressure ..but I moved back over into the left lane whenever I could after that..half my wife’s clothes jumped off the cloths rack in the bedroom closet also…first time that’s happened
Old 04-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yeah I understand …lol. …I did see two rvs pulled over on that stretch …one fifth wheel had a blown drivers side tire…shredded…don’t know if it was from the potholes or low air pressure ..but I moved back over into the left lane whenever I could after that..half my wife’s clothes jumped off the cloths rack in the bedroom closet also…first time that’s happened
Brian, Just head out west on IH10 or IH20 through our neighbor Louisiana; this will give you some perspective on road surfaces. Or you can just send you address and I will mail you some cheese... you know, to go along with the....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #9
jasin1

Attachment 39138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Brian, Just head out west on IH10 or IH20 through our neighbor Louisiana; this will give you some perspective on road surfaces. Or you can just send you address and I will mail you some cheese... you know, to go along with the....
:lol…on a positive note we had a great week in the keys…PERFECT weather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	789A3F63-E5FA-4D43-B63B-A6EB53BE30A9.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	39139  
Old 04-04-2022, 02:10 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

I have relatives (cousins) in the Keys but have never visited. Haven't seen them since we were kids about 123 years ago. Glad you are having a good time. Wise not to go down that direction during hurricane season...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have relatives (cousins) in the Keys but have never visited. Haven't seen them since we were kids about 123 years ago. Glad you are having a good time. Wise not to go down that direction during hurricane season...
Thank you George. You should head down there if you get the chance…a lot of motorcycles on the road taking in the views. And it’s a slower pace lifestyle…the speed limit is merely a suggestion…most people do 10 under.. I got used to it after a day or so and it was actually relaxing