Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
Hikerman

Battery disconnect switch

This is my 2nd post after just joining the forum today.

I have 2 12 volt batteries in parallel on my unit. I want to install a battery disconnect switch, which I have already purchased. It came with no instructions. I’ve been on You Tube and a couple other sites to find out how. Installing the switch is easy; no one says which cable goes where. I will use the negative cable as the disconnect.

There are 2 posts on the switch, on/off. Which cable goes where? Which post does the cable from the chassis go on? Do all 3 negative cables go on the switch?
Hikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You want to install the cutoff on the trailer lead, Factory uses the positive. Just cut the lead, put the ends on the disconnect and your done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You want to install the cutoff on the trailer lead, Factory uses the positive. Just cut the lead, put the ends on the disconnect and your done.
Well works better if one buys a length of 4 gauge wire so you can place the switch in a convenient location.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well works better if one buys a length of 4 gauge wire so you can place the switch in a convenient location.
Yeah, I like the pre made battery cables for the battery to cut off side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Hikerman

Battery disconnect Switch

Thanks to all who have replied to yesterday’s thread about now to hook up the battery switch.

However I still don’t understand. Yes, I am electrically challenged. There are 3 negative cables on the first battery (and 3 positive). Do all 3 negative go on one post of the switch? Which post, the on side or off side? What cable goes on the 2nd post, if used?
Old 05-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

A battery disconnect switch is just like a light switch, you just need to interrupt the circuit. The place to do that is where the negative battery cable goes to the frame. Disconnect the ground wire from the frame and connect it to one terminal of the switch. Place another cable that you supply from the other terminal of the switch to the frame where you removed the cable that you relocated.

If this is beyond your skills then hire a mechanic to install it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerman View Post
Thanks to all who have replied to yesterday’s thread about now to hook up the battery switch.

However I still don’t understand. Yes, I am electrically challenged. There are 3 negative cables on the first battery (and 3 positive). Do all 3 negative go on one post of the switch? Which post, the on side or off side? What cable goes on the 2nd post, if used?
If you have 3 each, they are probably

1 from battery A to Battery B
1 from frame to battery A or B
1 from factory solar.

Frame to battery is the one you want.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
Hikerman

Thanks, I can now picture where each cable goes.

Tags
battery