Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #1
B & L from CA

Smile Looking to buy a used Cougar 19RBEWE

My first post! I've already learned a ton about Keystone. We love looking at all the new TT but our budget is screaming "buy used" so we can get started on learning more about the RV life. Looking for a TT that is less than 26 ft to fit into most of our CA campgrounds.
We're two years from retirement so we want to get started and tomorrow I am looking at a 2017 Cougar 19RBEWE. I've watched numerous YouTube videos on how to inspect an RV since the only RV inspector in our area has a 3-month waiting list.
I noticed it does not come equipped with a ladder so I am considering taking a ladder just to make sure I can see the roof.
Is the roof walkable?
The current owners said the reason they are selling is because it's more than they need so hopefully it is everything we are hoping for.
Any info would be appreciated.
B & L from CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:01 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Well someone is approacing RVing in a sane manner! Welcome! Buying a new RV assures you that you will be the one eating the initial depreciation. The lack of a ladder may or may not indicate a roof is walkable; lots of discussion on this subject. I own a 12 collapsible ladder that I stow in the front compartment on my camper. I am too old to get up the ladder that is on the back anyway as it is too narrow and the steps to far apart.

If you consider a used camper, there is a lot of good info on what can go wrong and what to look for on this site. I bought a 2002 Cougar 27' fifth wheel and it suits us well. I have made MANY changes to make the camper suit my wife and I and I also love to look at new campers but why pay new camper prices as many used campers are used about as much as exercise bikes sitting in garages.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
Canonman

We started exactly the same way. Buy something affordable and see if RVing works for us. Well it did. A few years later we upgraded to a 30' fifth wheel.
Since the factory did not install a ladder, I'd say the roof is not walkable. I'm 200# so each time I take a step it's like putting 200# on a 12"x4" area. Think "puncture factor".
You don't mention what you're planning to tow with. This is a really nice 6500# travel trailer so hopefully you don't plan on using the wife's grocery-getter. You'll also want to get a good weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bars. If you need recommendations just ask. If you have questions after your inspection the forum is a good place to get answers. Be sure to send pics!
Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7714.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	28398  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:47 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck on finding that trailer that's just right for you and getting into RVing. To most it is a fun and enjoyable adventure.

There is a PDI list sticky in the Keystone Questions sections (first item). You could print it and look it over. It's pretty comprehensive and will help you look for things you may not know about.

If buying used fits your budget then that's the way to go. I don't because it seems I always buy the other guys problems; others get great deals Look the unit over closely. Don't know if you know the seller or not, and it's probably irrelevant anyway, but there could be hidden damage. RVs are notorious for water leaks and subsequent water damage. If the roof, window, baggage compartment and other seals have not been maintained that could be a real problem. We had a new member post just a few days ago of a used trailer they had purchased (19 if memory is working) and sounded/looked the the roof was shot due to a leak around the AC.

Good luck on the search. If you have any problems getting the PDI list post back and someone can help. Any other questions or issues just post away - someone can assist I'm sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar