Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
blakers213

Backing up a hill

I currently have a TT that I back up our fairly steep 100yard long driveway that has nowhere to turn around at the top. We will be getting a fifthwheel probably Halfton towable and an F350 to tow it with. My concern is is there any structural damage that might be done to the fifthwheel, hitch, or truck backing up this driveway. I was considering an AUH instead of a conventional fifthwheel hitch. I am just not sure if a fifthwheel has more bracing in the structure for pulling than backing and I could do some damage.
blakers213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
Canonman

I have the Anderson hitch and while we have had no issues either backing or pulling I have not had to back up any significant grades. I'd recommend contacting Anderson (1(800)-635-6106) and confirm with them any backing/grade issues or recommendations they might be aware of. My experience with Anderson is that they have always been very helpful and straightforward. That said, I can't see any design reason that would cause concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0200.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	20087  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Don_T

I would think backing the 5th wheel up a hill would not be any more stress than an emergency stop would be, probably less, unless you really jerk it around. Surely the camper frame and the Anderson hitch would have no issue.

If there is something to be aware of doing this, it is transmission temp in the truck. Keep an eye on that.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
blakers213

I currently back up a grand design 2400bh in my f150. I put it in 4wd low and almost idle up. Surely a f350 could handle a half ton towable fifthwheel. I read once that a traditional fifthwheel hitch didn't not like angles that I would be putting on it at the bottom and top of the driveway.
blakers213 is offline   Reply With Quote