Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
chiniakbay

slide out and landing gear problems

We have a 2008 Fuzion 5th wheel. The last 2 times we stopped our slide outs would not work on electricity but would on battery, same with the landing gear. Today when we stopped our landing gear stopped working completely. We had to use the battery for the slide outs.

Any suggestions?
chiniakbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The manufacturer of my slides (Lippert) recommends to only operate them on a fully charged battery. I'm not sure what slides you have but they may have similar instructions. As for the landing gear I have no suggestions other than checking fuses and connections on the rear of the switch.
.... If you have Lippert slides you can get manuals here http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...d=54&Itemid=66
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
chiniakbay

The slides work on battery only, not with electricity.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I am certain that your slides will only function with 12v ---they are wired directly to the battery. Unless your battery is fully charged, the slides will not operate properly. Check for loose connections or blown fuses. Same applies to the landing gear--- I would check the inline fuse located in the line coming off the control switch. I have had to replace the fuse once or twice on my landing gear.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
chiniakbay

Thanks, we'll check in the morning. I appreciate the quick responses.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
bennydog

Just to clarify...When you say that the slide works on battery but not on electricity I assuming that to make them work you have to unplug the trailer from "shore power". The slides always only use 12v power no mater if plugged in or not. Sounds to me like there is something interesting going on with your power. When plugged in things don't work points to the power converter /charger/breaker panel. Something is causing it to malfunction when plugged in. If nothing has changed i.e. you have not replaced or removed the batteries or changed any other electrical items in the trailer then I would suspect the converter or a short (may not be a direct short but what I call a high resistance short) that is on the shore side of the converter. Keep us posted please. BTW if my assumption at the beginning was incorrect then....never mind.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
chiniakbay

It was a silly fuse. Works great now. Still new to this retirement and RVing. I appreciate all the help. Now if my oven would stay at the temp I set it then all would be great.
Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Flyguy

OH... Bennydog can tell you all about that!!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
basmit1

I have a 2007 Springdale and it has never had a battery in it. I use shore power and everything works fine including the slides. Dealer told me a battery is not needed to run the slides.
basmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmit1 View Post
I have a 2007 Springdale and it has never had a battery in it. I use shore power and everything works fine including the slides. Dealer told me a battery is not needed to run the slides.
The manufacturers (Lippert) paperwork that came with my trailer said the slide motor could be damaged if a battery was not in line to operate the slide. Perhaps you have a different slide, but I would hope the manufacturer knows the slide better than the dealer and I would follow their instructions since they are warrantying the motor. JM$.02
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote