Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
nanaof4boys

Just sick....need some answers

We just got our camper back from the dealership being told the leak was totally stopped....guess what...it rained like a banshee last night and the camper leaked just as bad as before...same place...no better...no worse. We can't keep driving 200+ miles round trip taking it back and forth for fixing. We need ideas on how to find the leak and how to fix it. We are starting with caulking in some potential problem spots. Anyone have any bright ideas? Thanks!
nanaof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
antiqfreq

I hope you at least called them and blasted them for
'lack of service'...........

Jody
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I know I'm asking more questions than giving answers, but : What exactly did the dealer say they repaired? Did they leak-test the trailer after repair? (positive pressure inside trailer and soapy water on trouble spots ... blows bubbles ... mostly a gimmick but does show some leaks)
It's a long way to the dealer but you paid for the warranty and they should be the ones to repair the leaks and damage from them. ..... If it is your slide, is the trailer level at home and in the shop?
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
sbebenelli

Did you ever get the leak fixed? If so what was it?
sbebenelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
nanaof4boys

No, and things have gone from bad to worse. Our super slide is still leaking. We have to set it up with it slightly unlevel so that water runs off the slide instead of in toward the center of the camper....that helps some...the leak is not quite as bad but now our slide hysdraulic motor has goine out and our dealer went out of business and we are stuck trying to find someone who will order a new motor for the slide for us. My husband is ready to sell the camper or trade it in for a different one! We are sick about it....but we have had a lot of things going on to distract us for the time being.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If you still have some water coming into your unit from the slide even tho you have it parked at an angle, you might try raising the "dry" side even further. Another option to consider might be to throw a tarp over it although you need to make sure that your leave your roof vents slightly open and ensure good circulation of air inside. There are a couple of breathable and fairly water resistant covers that you can purchase to help keep your trailer a bit drier. Any chance of finding someplace to store it inside to keep it in out of the weather? If the water is still coming in, keeping it outside and unprotected will only make your situation even worse than it is now.
Now that your dealer has gone out of business, that doesn't help you much. Do you live near any RV Service or Repair Centers who would be able to order you a slide motor?
Are you looking to have someone install as well as order it?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
nanaof4boys

Hi Festus. It only leaks when the slide is out...stays dry when it is in. We do have an RV dealer here who when we were looking to buy didn't have any bumper pulls and my husband was insisting on a bumper pull. Anyway we had thought of the tarp solution and will be taking one with us when we go camping again just in case. The local RV dealer has ordered us the hydraulic slide motor and we have a neighbor who can install it for us...he helped my husband figure out that the motor had indeed died....and said he can install the new one. I had emailed a RV place a couple hours away and asked if they could order one in case this local dealer couldn't or wouldnt and they said "sure...our fees are $100 an hour for labor plus parts". Good grief! That is highway robbery...imho. Unless it only takes a couple hours or less to instal. Thank God for good neighbors who we know for a fact is capable at installing it for us...and I understand we have no warranty either. We were such greenhorns when we entered that dealership all starry eyed. It won't happen again.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
Steersall4

I wander if they have the slide adjusted so it goes completely OUT and against the seals on the inside? or maybe in its travel ends up at just a slight angle. The roof its self should slope some away from the trailer even with the trailer itself setting perfectly level. SO not only are there seals/wipers on the out side there are seals all the way around inside that should be up against the walls when it is out. JUST in case U need to know.
My slide out is out all time except when out on the road, I walk on it any time I am up there scrubbin. once in a while the seals need a little lube but I never get any leaks. Putting jacks under the slide out is also a mistake! thats asking for a leak
Old 11-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
richfaa

Well...Call Keystone customer service. Explain your problems and the dealer situation and ask them for advise on what you should do. They just might be able to help you out..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 AM   #10
OLDDONNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steersall4 View Post
I wander if they have the slide adjusted so it goes completely OUT and against the seals on the inside? or maybe in its travel ends up at just a slight angle. The roof its self should slope some away from the trailer even with the trailer itself setting perfectly level. SO not only are there seals/wipers on the out side there are seals all the way around inside that should be up against the walls when it is out. JUST in case U need to know.
My slide out is out all time except when out on the road, I walk on it any time I am up there scrubbin. once in a while the seals need a little lube but I never get any leaks. Putting jacks under the slide out is also a mistake! thats asking for a leak
I just helped a freind who has the same unit as you do...he had the same leak when the slide was out....his trailer has been deemed as unrepairable due to the leak and the insurance company now owns it.. they asked for a professional opinion on why the unit leaked so much....it appears that the slide unit when in the OUT position ...the outside was higher (unlevel) on the outside compared to the inside, when it rained the water came too the trailer wall rather than ran OFF theslide out roof and away...consequently the water came in and then seeped along the inside of the walls on each end of the trailer..the slide out has to be adjusted so that the inside of the slide is level with or slightly lower than the outside.. I am not a pro but was there for the dismantling and opinion of the repair tech... when the slide is out, put a level on the roof of the trailer and the slide out to compare the angles...
OLDDONNY is offline   Reply With Quote