Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
cpaulsen

water heater

Suburban water heater.....DSI and electric. Has worked on gas before and now....gas on...turn the switch on and it tries to ignite 3 times but won't fire.Tried again and again but won't lite. I clicks like it should. I ended up using just the 110 for the weekend. Any ideas? Its a Couger 5ver...although that makes no difference.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
deadeye

Start by checking the connection of all the wires for the control unit, pull them off their connectors and push back on. Remove the heat bar from the flame tube and clean any carbon off. Before removing this measure the distance and replace to the same gap because if its not in the flame enough it will shut off the propane. Verify that the thermo cutoff are not open using a ohmmeter.
Hope this works
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Flyguy

Here's a link to the manual for the Suburban water heater: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Water%20...%20Heaters.pdf There's a trouble shooting guide near the end of the manual for both DSI and non-DSI types. Just out of curiosity, have you checked the gas valve on the water heater itself? The little valve has a screwdriver slot on it and should be in line with the gas flow to be on.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Here's a link to the manual for the Suburban water heater: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Water%20...%20Heaters.pdf There's a trouble shooting guide near the end of the manual for both DSI and non-DSI types. Just out of curiosity, have you checked the gas valve on the water heater itself? The little valve has a screwdriver slot on it and should be in line with the gas flow to be on.
Checked yesterday...cleaned burner tube and stll nothing. Seems like I am not getting any propane. Everything else works on propane.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
Flyguy

That's what I would say too, if you hear the DSI igniter clicking and the burner doesn't light then I would check for gas at the burner.
Timbrens
Old 10-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
That's what I would say too, if you hear the DSI igniter clicking and the burner doesn't light then I would check for gas at the burner.
I know the gas is on...last week I had it on for awhile for the water heater.....it fired up and then quit....and hasn't come back on with gas since.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Flyguy

Another thing to check is the 12v source; if the gas valve is electrically operated then you could have a loose wire, check all the 12v connections for loose terminal connections, just a thought.
Timbrens
Old 10-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
cpaulsen

Looks like gas control valve.....everything else checks out ok.Expensive little valve I have seen to go bad after 2 years.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

This may sound silly ...... but ..... have you looked for a re-set button? They are usually behind a rubber disk and difficult to see imprint that says push.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
This may sound silly ...... but ..... have you looked for a re-set button? They are usually behind a rubber disk and difficult to see imprint that says push.
Yes.....it has a reset button...2 of them....tried that also.