Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #1
CrazyCain

Change of plans for this summer.

So with the High Gas prices, DW, little dog and I decided to store our trailer in Northern Michigan and exclusively camp at the State park CG's close to where we store it. All places are less than an 1.25or so hrs from there. Our first trip was the longest ( 2 hrs), the next was 40 mins. Driving to the trailer saves us gas and having to only pull the TT a hour or so helps a lot, plus very little time spent on Highway driving. Places to go pretty much every other week, William Mitchell SP, Taking the Grands to Oscoda KOA, Hartwick Pines SP, Otsego SP, Rifle River SP ( probably 2 times)and lastly Harrisville SP....

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Canonman

Nice idea... perfect example of "making it work"
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #3
dutchmensport

Under a previous political administration, some years ago and after a disaster punched the USA in the eye (as the song says), the price of fuel skyrocketed. It's even worse now, but back then, the whole thing was shocking.

There was a lot of forum talk where folks were just parking their campers and not going anywhere. My wife and I took a different approach. We are from Indiana and we've traveled, pretty much, every state East of the Mississippi. We've also noticed that when visiting different state parks, there are always other folks from other parts of the country, not native to the location we are at. We also noticed the vast number of non-Indiana (Hoosiers) that camped and visited our Indiana State Parks. So, thus, an Idea was born.

We decided if folks from all over the world came to visit our Indiana State Parks, then maybe we've overlooked something ourselves. You know what I'm talking about. We live in the forest, and because of the forest, we can't see the trees? Same is true ... we live in Indiana and have really overlooked all that Indiana has to offer.

So, we decided with the high price of fuel, we'd re-discover Indiana. From where we live (central Indiana), the longest drive to to the longest border would be about 175 miles one direction (that would be the Evansville and Mount Vernon, Indiana area) and that would be Harmonie State Park. So, we decided right then and there to NOT let the fuel prices stop us. We did exactly that!

Over the next 5 or 6 years, we focused exclusively on camping in every Indiana State Park and State Recreation Area. And we did! We looked at each State Park as if we'd never been there before and tried to learn and experience new things at each one we didn't know before. It was truly an awakening to what kind of phenomenal things Indiana has to offer!

You are doing exactly the right thing in order to keep your camping passion alive! Camping in your own back yard and re-discovering the beauty, the fun, the excitement that is found right there.

We've camped in a few Michigan State Parks, and speaking from someone who has fresh eyes ... you've got some REALLY phenomenal state parks too, some of the pretties country side in the nation, and such a variety of sub-cultures through the state, it's mind blowing! Re-discover Michigan! Sounds like a great plan to me!