Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
Peppy

Cool 2nd ac install 2021 keystone cougar 5th wheel

Hello everyone
I'm new so if I ask a dumb question please pardon lol

I was forced to buy an new rv due to the devastation of storms in our state. Until my home is restored, however the unit only came with one ac unit coleman mach 15btu but was wired for 2. Bad news since covid manufacturer cannot provide at this time the net zone gateway for the in command and I was told I also need a control box is this true. I've already purchased and had installed the 2nd coleman mach 15btu to the bedroom where an existing fan was initially. The tech did an awesome job, but as he informed me I need those 2 parts to finish the job. Now I live in an area where Temps are well over 100 everyday and I'm sure it will increase as we enter august. I was also told by another tech that I can bypass the ncommand and just get a manuel ceiling assembly . I don't know which parts I need to do that. Do i still need a control box, and do i need a thermostat I really need direction any help would be grateful. By the way I'm a female and live alone I really don't know what to do .
Peppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you’ve already installed the roof unit, does it only have the 6 pin connector? If so you will need a control box and thermostat to operate it independently from the InCommand.

You can get a ceiling control plenum, and operate the AC from the controls in the ceiling assembly.

If your roof unit has any phone cables included, you have to have the control box and compatible multizone thermostat.

What roof unit do you have?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
Peppy

Hi chuckster
Thanks for reaching out i have a coleman mach 15btu
Old 08-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
Brycar77

I am waiting on my second AC also for my Cougar. I had originally planned to control the new Coleman through my N-command system and ordered the gateway and the control kit from Keystone. The story I got is that the gateway is proprietary to keystone. So that was the only source to get it. Not sure if it’s true but I sure couldn’t find one anywhere else. And instead of paying a markup through a middle man I called myself. I thought at that point it would be plug and play. The more research I did I discovered the second A/C wiring is there with the temp sensor pre-installed for a new thermostat. However….. there is no command wire ran from the body control unit to the second A/C location. I said all that to say your cheapest route would be to do what Chuckster suggested. The gateway and control box came out to about 550 total with shipping from Keystone. I have the part numbers available if you want or need them.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
Peppy

Thanks Brycar77 i think i will forget the gateway and go with the ceiling plenum they have the new digital ones that lets you see the temp on the ceiling assembly but thanks for taking the time
Old 08-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #6
Brycar77

I don’t blame you. Had I not already paid for the parts the wife and I would doing the same thing. Good luck
Old 08-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.

Tags
5th wheel, cougar, keystone