Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Imthek9

2015 keystone cougar on first trip help

Hi Everyone....

New here...I'll be around often now.

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Cougar 31SQB.

We are on the maiden voyage as we speak -- plugged into electric at the camp site. Upon arriving - I was aware I would discover some issues but these issues seem to be different than others I've read in here. When we arrived I plugged in and turned the electric water heater on, the switch lights red, breakers are on, no hot water. So I turn propane on and that has gotten us through it the past few days. Then, tonight after being gone all day, with the propane and electric switch off, I turn on the hot water and its scolding hot. I have a feeling the "off" position on my panel for electric is actually on. Is this possible?

In addition to the above question in the main room I noticed the carpet is wet by the bed. I lifted cover to expose pump and it seems like a lot of condensation around the vacuum portion of the pump near a clear glass type window attached to the pump. Any advice I plan on taking it back in but I'm just a little confused especially on the water heater piece.

Thank you

2015 Keystone Cougar 31SQB
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Imthek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
GaryWT

I guess it is possible the switch was wired wrong but if it was I would have figured the element would have gone bad as it would have been on with no water in the tank. If the trailer was never plugged in without water in the tank then it is possible.

As for your water issue, are you using the pumps? Check that all hoses are tight.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Imthek9

Thanks for the reply Gary. I was under the same impression - I will see what they say about it at the dealership. I have never had the luxury of going on our first trip and not bringing the RV back to dealership on way home. I always shake loose something.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The electric switch on the Suburban water heater (the switch outside, behind the gas mixing tube) is installed "upside down" in all water heaters. You push UP on it to turn it off and push the bottom of it to turn it on. That's just the opposite of most electrical switches. If that's the switch you're saying you "turned off" when the water was "scalding hot" you might want to get down real close and look at the markings on the switch.

As for most Suburban water heaters, the inside switch on the control panel only operates the gas portion of the water heater. There are some RV's that have Atwood water heaters, many of which have both gas AND electric switches on the control panel. If you have one of those models, then you have two electric switches that control the heating element.

Confused yet? Spend some time looking at your water heater and reviewing the owner's manual. It will all become crystal clear once you sit down and think the operation through using the book. Good Luck

ADDED: As far as the indicator lights being "red" they only glow when there's an ignition sequence in progress or if there is an ignition failure. If they are on, there's a problem. If things function as they are supposed to, the gas indicator will flicker until the propane is functioning, then it will go out. There should be no "red light" to indicate "normal operation".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
Imthek9

Hi JR - thanks for the reply. My other camper that this one replaced was setup that way. On this new camper there are no switches on the heater other than the reset. On my panel I have 2 separate rocker switches one for lp and one for electric on water heater.

-Stephen
Working Dog Handler
West Olive, Mi

Old 05-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
GaryWT

On my previous trailer the outside switch was on the botton/base of the compartment so it was more of a left or right rather than up and down. The switch inside was actually a regular home type light switch that would light up and stay on the entire time the water heater was on. The current trailer has the one electric and one gas switch on the panel and both stay lite for the entire time they are on.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know your exact configuration but our trailer has one rocker panel switch inside for electric and one for gas. There may be another switch on the heater itself but I've either never seen it or noticed it; I just use the two inside. If it works when on LP and not when it's off, then it's hot when both switches are off I might think the electric switch/wiring is suspect. Instead of closing the circuit for "on" you open it and vice versa.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

This one threw me on the Carbon (2015) as I'm used to having a switch for gas and one for electric. If I understand it right, the "on" switch for electric is on the unit (accessed from the outside). The gas switch is in the RV.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 AM   #9
Grbill

My 2015 26RBI has an electric switch on the water heater and an electric and gas switch in the trailer, switches in the trailer light up when turned on. Both electric switches must be on for electric element to work.
Grbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:57 AM   #10
Imthek9

So after a reading through these replies I went outside last night around 11 pm. Flashlight and all and started once again looking around for a switch. I noticed I have a silver regulation sticker in the lower left hand of my unit with a bunch of specs etc. it's riveted to the back wall of the lower left of heat....it's a 2015 brand new trailer so I felt bad doing this but I was frustrated...I took a screw driver and broke the rivets off this plate, BOOM rocker switch behind the metal plate that says on off.....seems to be working now. I'm so confused as to why this plate was put there over a button that is so important. Mind blowing. Thank you all for your help..I'll be back soon I'm sure.

-Stephen
Working Dog Handler
West Olive, Mi

Old 05-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Don't know your exact configuration but our trailer has one rocker panel switch inside for electric and one for gas. There may be another switch on the heater itself but I've either never seen it or noticed it; I just use the two inside. If it works when on LP and not when it's off, then it's hot when both switches are off I might think the electric switch/wiring is suspect. Instead of closing the circuit for "on" you open it and vice versa.
I also have 2 switches for the 120v water heater element (same as above). There is so a 120v breaker on the main panel dedicated to the water heater element (3 switches total). I leave the rocker switch on the heater (outside of water heater) always in the on position and use the rocker switch on the inside wall panel to turn it on or off. The only time I turn the switch on the exterior side of the heater off is when I am draining or winterizing the water heater.
I think the off position on the outside switch on mine is also in the up position but it does have the words on/off printed on switch.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote