Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
kdbware

Cover for 2011 Hideout 38BHDS

I am considering getting a cover for our 2011 Keystone Hideout 38BHDS. Its located in Buffalo, NY, so it will be exposed to wind/snow/ice...you name it. I've seen reasons for and against. I am having a difficult time finding one that would fit this model, and given there is no returning them once opened, I want to make sure it is going to fit.

If you have a cover for this model, please let me know what kind/size/brand, where it was purchased, etc. and how you like it.

Also interested to hear any more stories/experiences to help decide whether or not to cover it.

Thanks in advance!!
kdbware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you wish to hear stories, experiences, and all the pros and cons about covering an RV, there are numerous posts about this topic that have already appeared on the forum. Rather than having everything repeated again, please use our forum search feature and read the various posts and threads about covering an RV.
If you are considering buying a cover, the best way is to measure your RV as per the cover manufacturer's/distributor's instructions and buy the appropriate one that fits. As you know, they come in various sizes and fabric choices.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
kdbware

Sorry to request redundant information again regarding past experiences.
I have looked at numerous sites and contacted local RV dealerships and I have found nothing that seems to fit the height dimension of our TT given the length or anyone willing to state for certainty that it will fit my particular model. Mfg specs are not useful as it includes the hitch. I actually measured the TT and confirmed this. I don't want to throw $500 away and thought this forum would be a good way to get information before making a choice.
kdbware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Hopefully, some member with that model and who has had some experiences with covers that they would be willing to share with you will chime in.
As I indicated earlier, there are numerous posts that discuss at great lengths the pros and cons of covering. If you are unable to locate these posts or threads using the forum Search, please send me a PM and I will help you out.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
ohiohideout

I know this thread is dated but I have a 38BHDS and got here by doing a search on 38BHDS....so in order to help the next person that does does this search....here goes:

I had the same issue. I actually called the Keystone factory to get the actual dims of the TT itself.

I can report that I have successfully used the RV cover for 2 seasons now from the company shown below. I bought it in Oct 2011 for $162.00 shipped.

http://travelercovers.com/travel.html

Brand Traveler Travel Trailer Covers
Item Weight 33 pounds
Product Dimensions 24 x 21 x 21 inches
Item model number TTT3538
Manufacturer Part Number TTT3538

Disclaimers:
I have no affiliation with this company, I just searched for RV covers and found this one.
Feel free to research the above mentioned pros and cons to using a cover. I did and decided to use one. I am the only one in my campground that uses one which should tell me something but I also have/had the newest camper there.
This cover lasted me 2 years and this year it was ripped up enough that I decided to just throw it away. I will most likely purchase another one at the end of this season.
The fit on this cover is pretty good for the 38BHDS and if you tie it up correctly it has minimal chafing IMO.
ohiohideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
mowin

I've looked in CW catalog, and didnt see one long enough to fit my 38BHDS.

I like the price of the one you used($170.00), but if it only lasts 2 yrs, thats just a waste.

Has anyone used a Class A cover for TT's??? Seems this is the only way to get a quality cover for these longer TT's....
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
mowin

I like the price of the one you used($162.00), but if it only lasts 2 yrs, thats just a waste.

Has anyone used a Class A cover for TT's??? Seems this is the only way to get a quality cover for these longer TT's....
Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
mowin

oops another double post.....Its been a looong day.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
ohiohideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post

I like the price of the one you used($162.00), but if it only lasts 2 yrs, thats just a waste.

I agree that 2 years is not the greatest but for that low of a cost comparatively speaking it seemed worth it to me. After seeing what the cover goes through after 2 years, I'm not thoroughly convinced that any cover out there would hold up very on the corners despite all the prep that I did to pad the corners. Just my opinion but the corner tears along with tears around the steps are going to be hard to stop.

I have not attempted the Class A cover FWIW. If you decide to try it, please report back your findings.
Thx
ohiohideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If covering your RV is important to you, $162 for two years is relatively cheap. Considering that ADCO covers are upwards of $300-400 each and last 3 or 4 years, it's pretty much the same price. And, if you consider the cost of storing an RV in a permanent structure, it's a definite savings. Around here, indoor storage is $300+ a year (150 for than the cover, but only for one year, so actually $450 more than 2 years with that cover. And, even storage under a "lean-to" is $200 a year, so the $162 cover is even cheaper than one year under a lean-to.

It would be nice to get 8 or 10 years out of a cover, but as said earlier, between sun, wind, tears at the corners, etc, if you get a couple of years before it starts down the trail of becoming rags, you'd be fortunate. There are people who get longer use from their cover, but it's the exception, not the rule.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
camper guy

I use a tarp

I had a hard time finding a cover and where I have my trailer (Dansville NY) the winters can be harsh. I went out and bought a 50x30 brown tarp from Ollies Bargin Outlet for 79 dollars and wrapped my trailer up like a big present. When I open the trailer every spring it looks brand new. This will be my 3rd year using the tarp and everyone else in the campground started doing the same thing. It was cheap and easy and it works great.
camper guy is offline   Reply With Quote