Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
Carl

Newbie Turn signal question

The turn signals on my trailer work opposite to the turn signals on my tow vehicle. The right turn signal on the trailer comes on when I turn on the left signal in my tow vehicle and vice versa.i took a picture of the wiring in the junction box. Can someone please tell me which wires need to be changed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	12278  
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know which wires to change based on color. You can take a voltmeter, turn on one of the turn signals and then read the different leads to find the pulsing 12vdc lead. Turn on the other blinker, find the other pulsing 12vdc. Remove both wires and reverse when you reconnect.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know which wires to change based on color. You can take a voltmeter, turn on one of the turn signals and then read the different leads to find the pulsing 12vdc lead. Turn on the other blinker, find the other pulsing 12vdc. Remove both wires and reverse when you reconnect.
X 2 what sourdough said
Old 04-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
spicercars

From the plug in the front green is right turn and yellow is left turn. If it is wired like it is suppose to.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

If it were me I would not start swapping wires until I verified exactly which ones were doing what. Might save some aggravation down the road.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
Carl

Thanks for all the help guys and the welcome. I'll definitely try the voltmeter. Hopefully the wires colors are correct but I don't trust it 100% at this point.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
Aab

Is your tow vehicle a Toyota or Nissan by chance. The older ones and maybe new ones have to have a separate converter box to concert signal or they will do just as you describe
Aab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Carl

It's a 2013 GMC Yukon.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
Jeepshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
The turn signals on my trailer work opposite to the turn signals on my tow vehicle. The right turn signal on the trailer comes on when I turn on the left signal in my tow vehicle and vice versa.i took a picture of the wiring in the junction box. Can someone please tell me which wires need to be changed?
Hey Carl. My 2017 Bullet also had the blinkers on the wrong side. While the wiring looked okay, if they put the wrong blinker on the wrong side, there's two ways to rewire it - move the inbound wires from the vehicle side of the trailer harness, or move the wires on the trailer side of the harness. My black plastic terminal block actually had R Turn and L Turn imprinted on two of the terminals. I simply reversed the wiring on the trailer side of the terminal block.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
From the plug in the front green is right turn and yellow is left turn. If it is wired like it is suppose to.
This is correct. When I was transporting, I had this problem with one trailer. It's actually a bit more common than I expected. I made the repair in a Walmart parking lot in about 15 mins. Use a test light to verify which wires are doing what in your junction box. Once you verify which one is blinking for each side, just remove the wire from the terminal and reconnect to the correct terminal so you get the desired result at the rear of the trailer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Here's a link that's useful http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/trailer.htm
I would check truck and trailer connections with a continuity/voltmeter to find the error and correct it. That way it will be correct no matter who towes it, and correct if you tow something else.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #12
Carl

I didn't notice anything imprinted on mine but I'll take a closer look. I'm the second owner of the trailer. The guy I bought it from didn't realize they were switched until we bought it from him and hooked up to leave with it. I'm surprised that Keystone didn't check it and even more surprised the dealer let him drive off without checking it.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #13
BuxCamper

One reason to check lights prior to pulling out of anywhere. Have had them completely not working which was due to trailer plug not being fully pushed in.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Desert185

In my case I had a problem with the add-on plug in the bed. First the RT signal failed, then the trailer brakes became intermittent. We eventually traced it down to the wiring loom of the plug in the bed. Plugging the trailer into the truck plug down by the bumper resolved all the problems until we replaced the the bed plug and wire loom.

Something to consider should trailer light or brake functions become intermittent or fail.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #15
Carl

Thanks guys!

AaB I think you were on the right track. It turns out the previous owner first pulled it with a Toyota and there was a bundle of taped up wires underneath. Probably to make it work for the Toyota. I did manage to track it down with the voltmeter like you guys suggested and get it working correctly. Thanks for all the help:
Old 04-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Great! Glad you got it going.

Tags