Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2023, 01:10 PM   #1
SailorVet

2019 28SGS new owner

Coming from a Class C, just purchased my new to me 5th wheel. I don't know much about it so hopefully I can get some answers here.
My camper has a solar plug near the panel where all the water controls are. Not going solar yet but what I don't see is an inverter anywhere on my rig so I'm guessing I have to add one. Are these campers pre-wired for inverters? Everywhere I read says yes but nothing specifies where its located. Thanks.
SailorVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:16 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe that "solar plug" near your water bay is nothing more than a plug and two wires to connect to the battery. They provide a means to plug in a portable solar charging system, similar to the 100 watt "solar system) available at Harbor Freight. There is no wiring for roof mounted solar panels, no inverter loop, no inverter ready interior AC plugs and no "solar components" such as a charge controller or a battery shunt/monitor"...

All that type "solar ready plug" does is give you a means to plug in that portable system to charge your battery bank (if you have the red and black wires connected to the battery).....

In 2020 Cougars, the factory did install a "basic solar package" called the Off The Grid (OTG) system. I'm posted a part of the brochure that explains the "standard package which was installed in all trailers and the optional package that was only installed in trailers special ordered with the extra cost option"...

Then, in 2021, Keystone started installing the SolarFlex systems. The SolarFlex 200 is the "standard package" and does not include an inverter, but there is an "inverter loop" that provides a means to install an inverter to power specific outlets in the trailer (usually 3 to 5 total outlets).

The extra cost optional SolarFlex 400i is the first available "solar package with an inverter" installed by the factory in the Cougar line.....

You can download the 2018 and newer Cougar brochures on the Keystone website: https://www.keystonerv.com/brochures#archive The brochures will show you the "evolution from your "plug and wires to the battery" to the present day SolarFlex systems....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 cougar OTG solar packages.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	43366  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:44 AM   #3
Canonman

Welcome! and thank you for serving.
John is correct with his explanation. I'll ust add a couple of thoughts from my personal use.
Our Cougar was prewired same as yours. I was lucky enough to find a 200 watt portable solar kit for cheap and that's how we started.
The kits will come with a controller so the batteries won't overcharge, but no inverter. We only wanted to watch the occasional movie in the evening so I wired a small 350 watt inverter from the batteries and installed it right at the entertainment center. TV plugs directly into the inverter. Easy-Peasy.
Our main purpose for adding the solar was to keep our batteries charged. Not to run every 110 volt appliance in the rig. We dry camp/boondock a lot and this configuration works really well for us. While I bring the generator along, we haven't used it in 4 seasons.
You'll find that in order to run 110v appliances you will need a pretty substantial battery bank and a larger solar array to keep those batteries charged.
I'd suggest looking at what your dry camping or boondocking needs really are. If this type of camping amounts to a few days a season then a smaller/simpler configuration may be a better solution. You can spend a ton of money getting a large enough battery and solar system to run everything, but if it's not really needed or used???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MGL0643.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	659.4 KB
ID:	43368  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Welcome! and thank you for serving.
John is correct with his explanation. I'll ust add a couple of thoughts from my personal use.
Our Cougar was prewired same as yours. I was lucky enough to find a 200 watt portable solar kit for cheap and that's how we started.
The kits will come with a controller so the batteries won't overcharge, but no inverter. We only wanted to watch the occasional movie in the evening so I wired a small 350 watt inverter from the batteries and installed it right at the entertainment center. TV plugs directly into the inverter. Easy-Peasy.
Our main purpose for adding the solar was to keep our batteries charged. Not to run every 110 volt appliance in the rig. We dry camp/boondock a lot and this configuration works really well for us. While I bring the generator along, we haven't used it in 4 seasons.
You'll find that in order to run 110v appliances you will need a pretty substantial battery bank and a larger solar array to keep those batteries charged.
I'd suggest looking at what your dry camping or boondocking needs really are. If this type of camping amounts to a few days a season then a smaller/simpler configuration may be a better solution. You can spend a ton of money getting a large enough battery and solar system to run everything, but if it's not really needed or used???
Would you mind stating what 200 watt Solar System you ended up getting.
Thanks in advance.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
Canonman

It is made by Zamp. 200w "suitcase" portable. It folds up and has a semi hardside cover.
Zamp has updated their models over the years offering 140w to 230w kits.
I found a used one locally and have had "0" problems. Works great keeping the batteries topped off during off grid stays of several days.
https://www.zampsolar.com/collection...lar-panel-kits
Another option would be Renogy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MGL6263.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	43372  
Old 03-29-2023, 11:09 AM   #6
gearhead

Nothing to add about solar but….if yours has the two swivel rockers in the back, be careful how you tie them down for travel. Ours would rock around and damage the window coverings.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:24 AM   #7
SailorVet

I will be dry camping 90% of the time. Only thing I really want the inverter for is my CPAP machine in the bedroom and the rare occasions my grandkids may want to watch tv but mostly the CPAP. I hate having to have a car battery & inverter in my bedroom floor to run my CPAP. Thats what I had to do in my Class C and it sucks. I competition shoot with the N-SSA and we don't have electricity at the fort. Thanks
SailorVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #8
Canonman

With 90% dry camping in mind, I'd recommend upgrading your batteries with a pair of 6 volt Golf Cart batteries. Check the amp draw or wattage of tour CPAP. Assuming it's on 7 to 9 hours you'll want to have plenty of reserve. Here's a document with amp draw tables for the different machine types.
https://document.resmed.com/document...de_glo_eng.pdf

Hope this helps
Old 04-02-2023, 08:11 AM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

I recommend you get a 12 volt CPAP. More efficient that inverting 12 volt up to 120 volt. In either case install a 12 volt plug in the bedroom connect it to the RV battery to power the CPAP. You can also power a tv this same way with a small plug in inverter. TVs do t require much amperage. Be sure to use heavy guage wire for your distance & amperage requirements.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote