Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #61
wesaysoracing

I made a 1200 mile trip this past week and I had no problem with finding gas stations that I can get in and out of, it was the inconsiderate people driving their tin cans that one jump in front of you as you’re waiting for the pumps to clear
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #62
JRTJH
Site Team

We just triple towed from "central northern Michigan" through the UP, to Copper Harbor, spent a week fishing and are now "heading back under the bridge" and are in Ishpeming, fishing around Republic and Negaunee.

Triple towing has its own limitations and they far exceed the "pucker factor" of towing a single trailer, especially when maneuvering in "unfamiliar places around tight gas pumps"...

Absolutely no issues with finding "mom and pop diesel selling stations".... In fact, all that we've stopped for fuel have also had worms and night crawlers to boot. No need for a truck stop for fuel and another stop for worms.... Get 'em both at da same place, eh ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #63
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We just triple towed from "central northern Michigan" through the UP, to Copper Harbor, spent a week fishing and are now "heading back under the bridge" and are in Ishpeming, fishing around Republic and Negaunee.

Triple towing has its own limitations and they far exceed the "pucker factor" of towing a single trailer, especially when maneuvering in "unfamiliar places around tight gas pumps"...

Absolutely no issues with finding "mom and pop diesel selling stations".... In fact, all that we've stopped for fuel have also had worms and night crawlers to boot. No need for a truck stop for fuel and another stop for worms.... Get 'em both at da same place, eh ???
Didja get over to dat der Lake Gogebic and catch some of dem teeterpigs der famous for?
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #64
rhagfo

Quote:

Really hate to correct a site team member, but the correct term is double towing, that is unless you are pulling three trailers.
The only triple towing I know of is many states out west allow commercial units to pull three trailers behind the tractor and only on interstate highways. They are about 30’ box trailers and need to be bannered as Long Load.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #65
notanlines

Here’s how it really is. You are both correct to a point. Triple-towing is the original term, long used by old timers of the practice. Those who are new, and unaccustomed to it will use the term double-towing.
No different than those who say slide-rooms, crawl thru’s, pull-outs, etc. as opposed to basement or slides or slide-out.
Truckers have their terms and RVers have theirs.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #66
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Really hate to correct a site team member, but the correct term is double towing, that is unless you are pulling three trailers.
The only triple towing I know of is many states out west allow commercial units to pull three trailers behind the tractor and only on interstate highways. They are about 30’ box trailers and need to be bannered as Long Load.
Take a "gander" at post #63. Not everyone speaks "oregonian" or even cares to. I'll take the definitions listed in Good Sam's "rulebook" over one member with way too much free time... Here's the rules as outlined by Good Sam: https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...icleID=1195129 Hell, even RV Life calls it "triple towing" https://rvlife.com/rv-triple-towing-laws/

If the only "correction to my post" is to nitpick a term that's not only commonly accepted but clearly understood by anyone even remotely familiar with triple/double/tandem towing of more than one trailer behind a fifth wheel, you've got way too much free time on your hands. Find a hobby or pick up a fishing rod or "something"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #67
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Didja get over to dat der Lake Gogebic and catch some of dem teeterpigs der famous for?
Errrr, ya, youbetcha, bygolly !!!!! and some a dem marble eyes in Michigamme and even some of dem lakers out from da uppa harber in Marquette too.....

And topped it all off wid some a dem pasties from Muldoon's in Munising too..... Da road workers was really huffin' and puffin' on dat roadwork 'round Munising. We most near missed da only turnoff ta get ta Muldoon's, but ma princess was watchin' closer dan me en she seen da turn in time fur us ta stop fer Muldoon's. Day be some tastee pickins, even widout da shovel 'n da candle ta make 'em warm....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #68
jfk69

Quote:
Errrr, ya, youbetcha, bygolly !!!!! and some a dem marble eyes in Michigamme and even some of dem lakers out from da uppa harber in Marquette too.....

And topped it all off wid some a dem pasties from Muldoon's in Munising too..... Da road workers was really huffin' and puffin' on dat roadwork 'round Munising. We most near missed da only turnoff ta get ta Muldoon's, but ma princess was watchin' closer dan me en she seen da turn in time fur us ta stop fer Muldoon's. Day be some tastee pickins, even widout da shovel 'n da candle ta make 'em warm....
😂😂😂 Lord, I love the UP!!
Old 08-24-2021, 06:18 PM   #69
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Ya, most every day in paradise is better'n da best day under da bridge. Dat be paradise all over da UP, eh, not just Paradise wid a capital P dat's on Whitefish Bay !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #70
jfk69

Quote:
Ya, most every day in paradise is better'n da best day under da bridge. Dat be paradise all over da UP, eh, not just Paradise wid a capital P dat's on Whitefish Bay !!!!
Oh we love it dontcha know. We were just talking around the campfire tonight that we have a ton of time in the UP, but not a single night in this camper. That will be corrected next summer
Old 08-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

I met my DW while I was stationed at KI Sawyer AFB in the 60's. We were lab partners in a chemistry course at NMU. She's followed me all over the world since then, so she's a keeper. Most of her family lives in Marquette but her mom migrated to Clarkston, so that's "home for DW".

We enjoy every day that we're in the UP. Tonight it's "warm in Negaunee" at 60. Last night was 50. Not a breeze on the lake and a beautiful evening of fishing. Sunsets are spectacular as are sunrises, but I try to sleep in most mornings, so I just settle for being in the boat watching the sunset with a beer in the drink holder and a spinning rod in my hand. Life is good in da UP, eh.....

Here's a photo of the "guy that was watching us fish" last night and just one of the sunset from the boat. We didn't want to get too close to the eagle, but he sat up in that tree watching us "like a hawk" for almost an hour before he headed to the other end of the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle on squaw lake.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	35417   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset on Michigame.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	35418  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-24-2021, 11:16 PM   #72
rhagfo

Quote:
Take a "gander" at post #63. Not everyone speaks "oregonian" or even cares to. I'll take the definitions listed in Good Sam's "rulebook" over one member with way too much free time... Here's the rules as outlined by Good Sam: https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...icleID=1195129 Hell, even RV Life calls it "triple towing" https://rvlife.com/rv-triple-towing-laws/

If the only "correction to my post" is to nitpick a term that's not only commonly accepted but clearly understood by anyone even remotely familiar with triple/double/tandem towing of more than one trailer behind a fifth wheel, you've got way too much free time on your hands. Find a hobby or pick up a fishing rod or "something"....
Sorry John, but I try to deal in logic. Triple towing may be a common term, but it isn’t logical. How does one go from towing to triple towing by adding one extra trailer? We don’t call regular single trailer towing Double towing do we?
Didn’t mean to offend just never how the term made sense.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:21 AM   #73
Javi

Triple towing comes from three vehicles, the power vehicle, the first towed vehicle and the second towed vehicle.
I used to work with a fellow who was responsible for writing the Triple towing rules for the western seven states, George Belleu. He was my safety & trucking advisor for several years before I retired the first time.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:56 AM   #74
flybouy
Site Team

This is just one of the idiosyncrasies that make the English language one of the most difficult to learn. Very few "rules" (in comparison to most other widely used languages) and great amount of "knowing" what the speaker is talking about. I've often heard truckers say "I was pulling doubles.." and others say "I was triple towing.." I knew that both were referencing the same thing. This is one of the reasons that "technical writers" are necessary and also why medicine and the law use a "dead language" (Latin) as the meanings never change.

This is a forum where folks converse in the style they are familiar with, i.e. an outlet, wall plug, receptacle, the plug in, all with many variations yet we all know what's being conveyed. When I was teaching electrical courses in college I was a hard a$$ about students using the correct nomenclature. But this is a forum so if you want to correct folks for their "choice of words" or their grammer, or their spelling you will be consumed with that task and miss the point of the forum.

I think it's now time to move on, I mean proceed, or is that start over or is that do over, maybe it's get over it? All hell, you know I mean.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:13 AM   #75
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry John, but I try to deal in logic. Triple towing may be a common term, but it isn’t logical. How does one go from towing to triple towing by adding one extra trailer? We don’t call regular single trailer towing Double towing do we?
Didn’t mean to offend just never how the term made sense.
Deal in logic ??? How "logical" is it to attempt to change a term that's commonly accepted and clearly understood by everyone in the RV towing community? I'd call it a "pet peeve" or "personal irritation" rather than "logic".

Since we're discussing "pet peeves" (yep, I brought it up), one of mine is people who post about "adjusting their breaks" rather than "their brakes"...

But, I don't post a correction statement to them or call them out in another post. That's "sort of pet peeve #2".

As stated, the language we use is filled with "double meanings" or even "triple meanings" for some terms. I was told by an "English teacher" in one of my early technical writing college courses, to write for the intended audience, not for the general public"... Her recommendations were (and are) "spot on" for the towing community in this forum. That's why "double towing" or "triple towing" are both "generally accepted and understood terms" which can be defined as towing two trailers and either is acceptable (for the intended audience).

If it's one of "YOUR pet peeves" that's something that YOU'LL need to manage in what ever way works for you.

But "deal in logic" ??? That "sort of brakes communication with the intended audience and brakes with traditional terminology while braking with generally accepted terms. Maybe it's time to take a brake and pick up that fishing rod, or if you haven't done it recently, after finishing your roof coating, you can adjust your breaks and repack your wheel bareings ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #76
rhagfo

Ok John, I concede triple towing to mean towing two trailers behind a TV. Now I just need to know what the correct term is for the mini land trains that we see
In many Western stats which consists of a short wheelbase tractor towing three trailers about 28’ to 30’ each. Maybe a fine line between “Triple Towing” and “Towing Triples”.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:24 AM   #77
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Ok John, I concede triple towing to mean towing two trailers behind a TV. Now I just need to know what the correct term is for the mini land trains that we see
In many Western stats which consists of a short wheelbase tractor towing three trailers about 28’ to 30’ each. Maybe a fine line between “Triple Towing” and “Towing Triples”.
If it's that important to you, you might contact Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles or Department of Transportation and ask them what's the "locally defined correct term. Michigan's "gubmint lawyers" likely don't speak the same language as Oregon's "gubmint lawyers" and none of them likely work for the public's best interest, rather, their goal is to "hide the real meaning for later interpretation as the need to protect bureaucracy changes with the political agenda".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #78
linux3

Quote:
We like it too but I gotta tell you, it's pucker time when I cross the bridge.

I have an irrational fear that when I get to the top of the bridge (any arcing bridge) the rest of it will be gone.
You can laugh, I said it was irrational.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #79
Sarge2

I'm just like....
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #80
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
We like it too but I gotta tell you, it's pucker time when I cross the bridge.

I have an irrational fear that when I get to the top of the bridge (any arcing bridge) the rest of it will be gone.
You can laugh, I said it was irrational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
I'm just like....
What's "really cool" (it is COLD 200' above the water) but what's really cool, is to go across the bridge on a motorcycle, in a short sleeve shirt when it's 85F in Mackinaw City and it's 55F between the towers on the bridge.... BRRRRRRR

And that doesn't include the "pucker factor" when the concrete outside lane is closed for road repairs and you've got to drive on the "squiggly metal grate lane"... Look down and it's 200' of "nothing but air until you get to the water" .....

We towed across the bridge yesterday afternoon with the fifth wheel and the boat behind it. It was "gusty, but not too bad at the top"... I remember one time, towing the Springdale across the bridge, we were hit by a "hellacious gust of wind" at the top and it blew the trailer door open. No way to stop, no way to close the door, so we "flopped for almost 3 miles" hoping not to lose everything we had in the trailer as the wind pushed the trailer from one side of the lane to the other. That trip, the center lanes were closed for repairs, so we were "stuck towing "next to the long way down side of the bridge"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
gas