Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
markcee

New F150 Feature - On Board Scale

Pretty neat article on the on board scale and 'smart hitch' features available on new F150s.

Supposed to be able to measure bed payload as well as tongue weight and display same on your FordPass app or on the Infotainment display.

Sounds cool....if it works!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40359/...easure-payload
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Just what you want, a built in device to tell you your over weight. Knowledge is important, it’s what you do with it that matters.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't done the "critical evaluation" of just what part of what package Ford puts that "cargo scale" in, but if it's like most of Ford's optional equipment, you can't order it separately, it's a part of a larger package. If so, then it's likely to be "packaged with other less desirable options. CURT HITCH sells a similar product (possibly the same product) that plugs into the OBD port on your truck and is accessible via bluetooth. It sells for $130 on the CURT website and likely for 50-75% of that price at retailer sites. https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-accessories/betterweigh

As Chuck posted, it's nice to know, but the real important part is "what you do about it when you find you're overweight" Sometimes "head in the sand" is at least an opportunity to say, "But officer, I didn't know"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
dutchmensport

It's another way for "big brother" to track you! In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford put this on JUST so they can monitor the owner's usage, so if there are warranty issues, they have proof you were overweight, overloaded, and exactly how you used your truck. Add that with the GSS system they put in today's vehicles, all the electronics, and all the internet features, every second in the life of your truck is being recorded. And it's all for the owner's benefit.... yea.... sure! Do you really believe that?
Old 04-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
It's another way for "big brother" to track you! In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford put this on JUST so they can monitor the owner's usage, so if there are warranty issues, they have proof you were overweight, overloaded, and exactly how you used your truck. Add that with the GSS system they put in today's vehicles, all the electronics, and all the internet features, every second in the life of your truck is being recorded. And it's all for the owner's benefit.... yea.... sure! Do you really believe that?

Boy, I hope they are monitoring me all the time! I'm talking to someone all the time when I'm driving by myself or alone. I really count on them listening to me because I have some really fine, choice commentary at times!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I can hear it now....Hey Bubba, lokit the dash, I told you my F150 with the ecobost could pull that 27K fith wheeler!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Boy, I hope they are monitoring me all the time! I'm talking to someone all the time when I'm driving by myself or alone. I really count on them listening to me because I have some really fine, choice commentary at times!
I doubt it has a black box like an aircraft...LOL... just all the other stuff that says your speed at the time of impact and if brakes were applied and so on and so on... it's amazing what crash info you can get from the ECU/computers..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
I doubt it has a black box like an aircraft...LOL... just all the other stuff that says your speed at the time of impact and if brakes were applied and so on and so on... it's amazing what crash info you can get from the ECU/computers..
Not a "formal black box" in a waterproof, hermetically sealed, crash proof container packaged with a beacon locator with a 3 week battery to aid in locating the crash....

But, Ford, in the owner's manual does state that there is "onboard monitoring capability" that may be released to law enforcement agencies in the event of a warrant for the information... All of the computer monitor components to determine speed, vehicle attitude, weight, wheel spin, braking, and much more is not only available for retrieval, but it's being "updated thousands of times per second" according to the advertising, brochures, manuals and the service department computer technology, there's little "they" don't know about your vehicle... At Ford dealers, between FORSCAN, Ford IDS, OBD access, accelerometers, sensors, detectors and computer recording, it's hard to lean on only one cheek without the seat monitor sending a signal to the computer to prepare for the steering wheel to sense inadvertent steering input, preparing the wheels to brake to prevent loss of control based on the temperature monitoring system assessing the humidity to determine if it's ice or only water under the tires......

The CURT electronic scale system uses existing vehicle sensors to provide an accurate reading of vehicle payload. Advertising says it's accurate within 4%. That means, with a 2500 pound payload, it's accurate to within 100 pounds. That's "astounding" when you consider that there's no "actual scale involved".

Technology, ain't it grand ?????

Added: If you add the sophistication of the "lane keeping feature" with windshield monitors that track "vehicle positioning within the lane" and can tell the computer whether there's any steering input from the driver, as the sensors monitor the driver's eye movement and vehicle positioning in the lane.... It's "beyond spooky" to me that all that information is being "recorded for future retrieval" ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
I'd bet you've also got a basement full non perishable food items & an arsenal!
I'm like the other Danny, I hope they're listening & if they are they're bored to tears with my active lifestyle.
Too bad they can't retro fit it in some of those already towing WAY too much, but "the salesman said I'd never know that 42' TH was behind my F150 & it has has the EcoBoost motor!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #10
markcee

Quote:

LOL....yeah, call me naive, but I pretty much believe it. I really don't think Ford gives a rat's aXX about my driving habits. Sheesshh. Conspiracy theories rule, I guess.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
CURT HITCH sells a similar product (possibly the same product) that plugs into the OBD port on your truck and is accessible via bluetooth.
Yup, an "onboard BetterWeigh" was my first thought. Now, you gotta wonder why Ford targets this for the F150 end of the line...?
Old 04-28-2021, 05:36 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

A couple of years ago my DW was in a serious MVA. We hired a "crash reconstruction investigator". He was a retired State trooper who did that for the police for 30 years. I meet him at the garage and watched him take all the measurments , angles, and watched when he downloaded the info from the "black box". It was amazing the amount of information he gathered from it.

Why do they put the weight displayed in the F150? You would have to ask Ford but it would seem logical to me that since the info has been in the "box' for years that some young genius at Ford suggested that it would be a good thing to exploit to boost sales. How many folks do we see on this forum that don't have a clue about the amount of weight they are towing or how much they should be hauling. Makes sense to me to have that info for the "first time towers in a 1/2 ton truck" as most folks driving larger trucks know they need a more capable truck or are driving one for work that was a fleet sale. I may be totaly wrong biut Ford having a couple of thousand people on the payroll to "monitor" what each driver is doing doesn't mske economic sense to me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

If you guys think those "black boxes" are watching you.....there are so many other things so be aware and careful. I have several tin foil hats that I wear inside/outside (different designs). My mom's best friend's sister's mother's aunt said she was abducted outside Roswell in the desert and said the scar on her forehead was where they did a lobotomy. Maybe they did, she was crazier than a loon. They've found ways to "integrate" and monitor......be careful.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #14
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Just what you want, a built in device to tell you your over weight. Knowledge is important, it’s what you do with it that matters.
Maybe they will make it so the truck won't disengage from park if you are overloaded? Similar to how my truck throws itself into park if I open the door while trying to back my trailer in. Grrr... Wishful thinking I suppose....
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
rlh1957

We have so much automation we forget how to think and how to do the math.

Guess what? EVERYTHING you do on, to and with your electronic machine is recorded. It is downloadable for investigation, tracking and sales spamming. With the GPS, On-Star and mobile system updates we don’t need chip implants as we already gave big brother marking our every move.
That’s the reason insurance companies tempt you with ‘could lower your rates’ ads so you’ll agree to plugging in their tracking device that measures how fast you start, stop and speed. HUGE mistake living in a big city!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150