Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
thatoneguy

Tow ratings

I see so many people on here stressing the tow ratings. Newer model half tons have similar tow ratings as older 1 tons and most people are scoffing at these numbers claiming they aren't real, but the same people seem to be preaching we need to go by these ratings.

Most of you aren't in the commercial industry as drivers, and even those that are, theres always a lot of confusion about how much can something legally and or safely tow. My friends, that tag is not always correct, some of you claim the new half tons are rated higher than safe, but.... sometimes things are derated as well on that tag, depending on how its going to be registered. For example, my company has thousands of Ford trucks, I'm currently in a truck rated at exactly 10,000... its a 2018 Ford F350 Diesel... yup you heard it right, 10,000... why? because 10001 when used commercially, has to follow a stricter rule book. I have also, the identical truck that wasn't derated, showing 13,000 lbs, so does my derated badge mean i cant tow as much as the other truck? yes and no.

The trucks are identical, their towing is the same, but because these are DOT numbered trucks, Im restricted legally on the one rated less, not for safety reasons....but taxes and how the vehicles are registered.

Some of us have the knowledge to know the differences in what is safe and what is not. It is a good general rule to not exceed manufacturers weight rating in general, but that dosen't mean its unsafe exactly, but longevity could and probably would be compromised if those recommendations are not followed.

I invite someone in an f350 diesel to post their tag for reference...Click image for larger version

Name:	20201001_130714.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	30089
Old 10-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
I see so many people on here stressing the tow ratings. Newer model half tons have similar tow ratings as older 1 tons and most people are scoffing at these numbers claiming they aren't real, but the same people seem to be preaching we need to go by these ratings.

Most of you aren't in the commercial industry as drivers, and even those that are, theres always a lot of confusion about how much can something legally and or safely tow. My friends, that tag is not always correct, some of you claim the new half tons are rated higher than safe, but.... sometimes things are derated as well on that tag, depending on how its going to be registered. For example, my company has thousands of Ford trucks, I'm currently in a truck rated at exactly 10,000... its a 2018 Ford F350 Diesel... yup you heard it right, 10,000... why? because 10001 when used commercially, has to follow a stricter rule book. I have also, the identical truck that wasn't derated, showing 13,000 lbs, so does my derated badge mean i cant tow as much as the other truck? yes and no.

The trucks are identical, their towing is the same, but because these are DOT numbered trucks, Im restricted legally on the one rated less, not for safety reasons....but taxes and how the vehicles are registered.

Some of us have the knowledge to know the differences in what is safe and what is not. It is a good general rule to not exceed manufacturers weight rating in general, but that dosen't mean its unsafe exactly, but longevity could and probably would be compromised if those recommendations are not followed.

I invite someone in an f350 diesel to post their tag for reference...

Attachment 30089
Will this work for you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Load Sticker.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	30090  
Old 10-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Will this work for you...
no because that's weight rating for those tires under load in the cabin and in the bed, not a tow rating
Old 10-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
thatoneguy

litterally if you put a more heavy duty tire, that tag becomes wrong
Old 10-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
thatoneguy

same truck, my tire rating, 2018 F350 Diesel Click image for larger version

Name:	20201001_132926.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	30091
Old 10-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
no because that's weight rating for those tires under load in the cabin and in the bed, not a tow rating
Can you cite the regulations where I can find this?
Old 10-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
thatoneguy

Again the truck was derated for tax reasons not safety
Old 10-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Can you cite the regulations where I can find this?
Dot regulations? or the fact that he's sharing the tire tag not the gvwr
Old 10-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

For anyone reading this string and curious it started here at post #41 https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=44355&page=3
Old 10-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Dot regulations? or the fact that he's sharing the tire tag not the gvwr
The reg that states that you can change tire size and change the load capacity of the truck.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #11
thatoneguy

Quote:
For anyone reading this string and curious it started here at post #41 https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=44355&page=3
I was talking about upgrading my personal truck, this is unrelated to that, this is because i see people giving crazy information and incorrect. Some was good no doubt others, was well meaning but ill informed.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
tylerj1966
Gone Traveling

Oh, no. Here comes the wrath of the simple minded weight police.

I agree with you completely but the moderators on this site don't want to have a discussion on this topic. They will advise you how wrong you are, then close your thread so it disappears down the list where no one can resurrect it. Ask me how I know. They don't care about any opposing opinions on this forum, only their own.

This will answer all your questions: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=40919
Old 10-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #13
thatoneguy

Quote:
The reg that states that you can change tire size and change the load capacity of the truck.
Tires have load ranges, this isn't about a regulation. if you run a 6 ply, its NOT rated for the same as a 10 ply.....i just showed you my hotshots tags, someone else go look at a regular 350 and post those tags you will see a difference.....unless you bought a used fleet truck.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Just so you know... the GVWR is not a tow rating either... my F350 is 14,000 GVWR still not a tow rating...
Old 10-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #15
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just so you know... the GVWR is not a tow rating either... my F350 is 14,000 GVWR still not a tow rating...
Exactly my point..... but people keep using these door tags to justify towing or not towing
Old 10-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

This not a "commercial truck forum". The average reader here is seeking information pertaining to camping trailers, not hualing stone, sheep, or whatever else. I am more than willing to apologize and change my mind if someone can put forth some evidence. Until then, it's opinion only and I will consider it as such.

Threads don't get closed by moderators because a post "differs in opinion" from the moderators. It will get closed if the replies turn into personal attacks, trolling, or if any of the other rules that are clearly defined and posted here .. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ork&page=rules are violated.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #17
travelin texans

That same de-rated tag shown is the absolute weight by law it can haul, if you, for some reason, get weighed by law enforcement that IS the number they are going by, at 10001 you are legally overweight.
You can de-rate the weights to avoid pay taxes, or for whatever reason, but to my knowledge there's absolutely nothing you can add on, rebuild, reregister or soup up to increase the numbers of a lesser truck, it will still be legally rated at whatever that sticker on the door states & fairly certain you'll lose any argument with law enforcement regarding the matter.
To proclaim that there's more cushion built into any truck & able to carry more than the engineers that designed, rated them & posted on each truck on a public forum about towing is not the best idea for an engineer that tows for a living & just adding more confusion for new folks already trying to understand what's safe or not.
You've been asked to post the payload sticker of your 1500, but for some reason you refuse, I'm fairly certain why, but claim you are absolutely confident it's more than adequate, but don't want show us how this custom built 1/2 is underrated.
And yes it will turn to weights & hauling discussions when it's posted about hauling RVs that it's obviously going to severely overload their tow vehicles.
I'd you chose to tow overloaded that's totally up to you, but you shouldn't publicly state that it's ok for anyone else to ignore all the pertinent numbers posted on there trucks & RVs.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #18
thatoneguy

Quote:
This not a "commercial truck forum". The average reader here is seeking information pertaining to camping trailers, not hualing stone, sheep, or whatever else. I am more than willing to apologize and change my mind if someone can put forth some evidence. Until then, it's opinion only and I will consider it as such.

Threads don't get closed by moderators because a post "differs in opinion" from the moderators. It will get closed if the replies turn into personal attacks, trolling, or if any of the other rules that are clearly defined and posted here .. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ork&page=rules
Those numbers on a trucks door pretain mostly to commercial drivers, they are not the end all say all on towing trailers... My point is people are going crazy over these stickers that my company orders them from ford to be rated at whatever they want them to be basically. They are missing the bigger picture and it seems people here are trying to guilt shame everyone into buying a bigger TV.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #19
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That same de-rated tag shown is the absolute weight by law it can haul, if you, for some reason, get weighed by law enforcement that IS the number they are going by, at 10001 you are legally overweight.
You can de-rate the weights to avoid pay taxes, or for whatever reason, but to my knowledge there's absolutely nothing you can add on, rebuild, reregister or soup up to increase the numbers of a lesser truck, it will still be legally rated at whatever that sticker on the door states & fairly certain you'll lose any argument with law enforcement regarding the matter.
To proclaim that there's more cushion built into any truck & able to carry more than the engineers that designed, rated them & posted on each truck on a public forum about towing is not the best idea for an engineer that tows for a living & just adding more confusion for new folks already trying to understand what's safe or not.
You've been asked to post the payload sticker of your 1500, but for some reason you refuse, I'm fairly certain why, but claim you are absolutely confident it's more than adequate, but don't want show us how this custom built 1/2 is underrated.
And yes it will turn to weights & hauling discussions when it's posted about hauling RVs that it's obviously going to severely overload their tow vehicles.
I'd you chose to tow overloaded that's totally up to you, but you shouldn't publicly state that it's ok for anyone else to ignore all the pertinent numbers posted on there trucks & RVs.
actually i wasn't asked to show anything, i wasn't the op in that other thread, and said my 8k lb trailer slightly exceeds my actual tow rating of my 1500. And you are correct on at 10001 being overweight, and a ticket but in a not for hire personal truck, dps isn't going to typically tag a pickup on weight.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Tires have load ranges, this isn't about a regulation. if you run a 6 ply, its NOT rated for the same as a 10 ply.....i just showed you my hotshots tags, someone else go look at a regular 350 and post those tags you will see a difference.....unless you bought a used fleet truck.
I'm fully aware of tire load ratings. It is about a the regulations. So where on that tag does it say that if you install a higher ply rating then the max load can be increased to that tires carrying capacity? Is that posted in the owner's manual?

If I follow your advice and end up in court over a catastrophic accident am I to assume that the truck manufacturer will come to court and testify that it's OK that I was over the door sticker by a 1,000 lbs. because I had installed the next higher ply rated tire?
Closed Thread

Tags
tow