Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #41
linux3

The 3500 can tow and carry more. Sure but it costs more.
I want a doublecab and think Crewcabs look funny.
I want a 6.6L gas engine. OK, OK but diesel costs a LOT more in the Northeast.
I don't know how much longer we will be "Hitting the road" as I just celebrated my 50'th of my 21's birthday.
Whatever we buy will be my last RV so we need to be sure.
I'm a fan of less is more. I pay cash and owe nobody anything.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #42
pdaniel

In forty years of RV ownership, all towables and now a heavy 5th wheel only one sales critter asked what my TV was. He then looked at the towing chart. I asked why (I pretty much knew the answer). He said he didn’t want me coming back and laying the blame on the dealership for buying an RV and discover the TV did not have the capability. But, I knew the limits of my truck before shopping.
I too see the 150s, 1500s and 2500s struggling here in the mountain west pulling a rig that is way to much for that TV. But, I am not the weight or tow police, so, it is not my business.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #43
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyMax View Post
Exactly! It's pretty easy to just keep scrolling. I feel some people read and comment to the newbies just so they can show of how superior they are.

I read these forums frequently and I've learned allot, but we were all once newbies, and we all have made mistakes. Yes, we have relied on the salesperson and the brochures. Yes, we have hoped we made the right decision. But in the end, until it is home and in your driveway, you don't know what your own experience will be. Exception:. A dealership once let us take home a Silverado 1500 5.3L double cab. My husband test drove it and said he didn't think the cab was big enough but wife (me) says that anything with 4 doors would would. The salesman, thinking he just had to sell the wife told him to take it home for the night so wife can check it out. When I got home from work and saw how small the cab was, I immediately agreed it wouldn't work for us. We then proceeded to set up our hitch and our heavy Springdale and take it for a test tow. That also confirmed the 5.3L was not enough truck even though our plan was to upgrade to a lighter weight trailer. That was a rare opportunity and one in sure the dealer would not have allowed had he known.

I appreciate all the help found here. If you don't want to help, then why not just keep scrolling?

Becky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
In forty years of RV ownership, all towables and now a heavy 5th wheel only one sales critter asked what my TV was. He then looked at the towing chart. I asked why (I pretty much knew the answer). He said he didn’t want me coming back and laying the blame on the dealership for buying an RV and discover the TV did not have the capability. But, I knew the limits of my truck before shopping.
I too see the 150s, 1500s and 2500s struggling here in the mountain west pulling a rig that is way to much for that TV. But, I am not the weight or tow police, so, it is not my business.
I have to disagree! It is all of our business! These folks towing unsafely are traveling the same highways as the rest of us that want to arrive safely also.
We can't rely on the rv/truck dealers to honestly inform these folks, so someone should.
There will always be a handful that will say I'm full of it & continue to tow whatever with whatever they have, but hopefully the information seed will have been planted in back of there minds & if enough people inform them they may possibly get it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyMax View Post
Exactly! It's pretty easy to just keep scrolling. I feel some people read and comment to the newbies just so they can show of how superior they are.

I read these forums frequently and I've learned allot, but we were all once newbies, and we all have made mistakes. Yes, we have relied on the salesperson and the brochures. Yes, we have hoped we made the right decision. But in the end, until it is home and in your driveway, you don't know what your own experience will be. Exception:. A dealership once let us take home a Silverado 1500 5.3L double cab. My husband test drove it and said he didn't think the cab was big enough but wife (me) says that anything with 4 doors would would. The salesman, thinking he just had to sell the wife told him to take it home for the night so wife can check it out. When I got home from work and saw how small the cab was, I immediately agreed it wouldn't work for us. We then proceeded to set up our hitch and our heavy Springdale and take it for a test tow. That also confirmed the 5.3L was not enough truck even though our plan was to upgrade to a lighter weight trailer. That was a rare opportunity and one in sure the dealer would not have allowed had he known.

I appreciate all the help found here. If you don't want to help, then why not just keep scrolling?

Becky

When a new member joins and flat out asks about towing, or if someone posts an obviously bad towing combination (which they probably have unknowingly) someone is usually going to point that out. It may be received well and it may not. It may be considered "acting superior", I don't know. I've not gotten that sense but I don't interpret for everyone else. I do know we have many members that have realized the numbers, checked them and then made changes in their towing situation to make themselves safer - THAT is the ultimate goal of the weight comments.

The issue, IMO, in the above situations is obligation. If a child, or someone new to towing, is about to do something that will endanger them and has no idea, it is my obligation to point it out. At that point with an adult you have done about all you can do unless they have additional questions/comments. Not done to feel superior but to keep someone, and their family, safe from a situation they may know nothing about. Towing an RV is not like pulling the lawn tractor around on a flat bed, there are lots of safety parameters to consider and it takes time and experience to gain those; preferably not through catastrophic failures.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #45
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
And if you're spending the $$ for 2500 anyway just go straight to the 3500, very little difference in price, ride, or mileage & looks exactly the same but a good increase in payload, may save you another TV swap when you upgrade after the GD.
I really wanted to go that route, but DW refused to deal with diesel.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #46
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If a child, or someone new to towing, is about to do something that will endanger them and has no idea, it is my obligation to point it out. At that point with an adult you have done about all you can do unless they have additional questions/comments.
I routinely see rigs traveling at excessive speed and changing lanes without signaling. Often in the forbidden lanes. Sometimes I wonder why states don't require special licensing for RVs. In my state many that tow don't know that the truck speed pertains to them.

I have an adult son who asked to borrow our rig. I had no problem with his idea, other than he had no experience towing whatsoever.
I agreed under the condition that he spend a few days, being the driver, on a road trip with me.
He learned to hitch up, back up, pull out, merge, and set up & break camp. I've got to say, I was impressed at his great attitude.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #47
CaptnJohn

I had a Plymouth Fury III that was safer pulling a 28’TT back then than many 1/2 ton trucks today. After a decade of no camper during daughters teen and college years I bout a new F150 and matched a TT perfectly. Less than a year and wifey says going farther so we bought a Cougar and matched an F250. Less than 2 years and wifey says stay longer so a bigger 5er needed, bought a new F350 to
Match. 2 years later wifey found THE perfect Montana and I bought a new F350 dually. What I learned is every new 5er wifey wants requires a new truck. I like new trucks so I’m glad she likes new 5ers.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #48
wiredgeorge

One lesson I have learned is to NEVER buy a new anything and the right used truck and camper will keep you from owing money to the bank. Would I like to devote all expendable income to trucks and campers? Not really. Buy the truck sized so you don't have to leapfrog to bigger and more capable and for goodness sake, buy a used camper to see what works and doesn't. You won't know thill you have been out quite a few times. No matter what camper you buy, you will find there are things that you would have done different and have to compromise on. The only ones you don't have to compromise are the 43' monsters with enough floor space for a semi-intelligent floorplan. Under 35', you are looking at compromises.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #49
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
One lesson I have learned is to NEVER buy a new anything and the right used truck and camper will keep you from owing money to the bank. Would I like to devote all expendable income to trucks and campers? Not really. .
I've got to agree with you!
Lessons I've learned...
If you use your trailer for fun, it's a toy. Don't ever take a loan out on a toy.
Also, you'll never truly enjoy a vehicle that you owe on.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #50
Schmackpappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Can you explain this statement? Should we not say anything and let people continue on in their ignorant bliss?
No. You should educate them but ranting about how you are sick of these posts and basically calling them stupid isn't the way to do that.
Schmackpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post

Highlight above. I see, watch and sit by (in parks) those same rigs. I think you are correct in that another really has no business trying to coach or reprimand anyone pulling something that is obviously overweight "out there somewhere". If the matter is brought up in a conversation in that environment, I will, and have asked about weights but do not pursue unless there are questions. I asked our friend that winters beside us after he bought his new Big Horn and pulled it with a new 2500; he was good with the numbers even though very overweight....end of that conversation.

This forum is a different matter IMO. I belong to other forums, some for other, larger RVs. Those folks in general have been around and have towed for a while. The conversations are different. This forum really has lots of new owners/towers. Some don't know and ask, others don't know and don't ask...because they don't know to. They believed that brochure from the truck manufacturer and the RV salesman said "you're good", so they are on their way happy and ignorant - they don't want to be, just don't know that they are. That person isn't to blame for anything other than not knowing. At that point I personally feel it is incumbent on any knowledgeable person to at least let them know the situation. Not superior, not knocking them or anything else - I worry for them and what they may encounter with a truck full of family or kids. In a way it's not my business, but then again it is. The welfare of anyone in a dangerous situation IS my business...at least IMO.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #52
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Highlight above. I see, watch and sit by (in parks) those same rigs. I think you are correct in that another really has no business trying to coach or reprimand anyone pulling something that is obviously overweight "out there somewhere". If the matter is brought up in a conversation in that environment, I will, and have asked about weights but do not pursue unless there are questions. I asked our friend that winters beside us after he bought his new Big Horn and pulled it with a new 2500; he was good with the numbers even though very overweight....end of that conversation.

This forum is a different matter IMO. I belong to other forums, some for other, larger RVs. Those folks in general have been around and have towed for a while. The conversations are different. This forum really has lots of new owners/towers. Some don't know and ask, others don't know and don't ask...because they don't know to. They believed that brochure from the truck manufacturer and the RV salesman said "you're good", so they are on their way happy and ignorant - they don't want to be, just don't know that they are. That person isn't to blame for anything other than not knowing. At that point I personally feel it is incumbent on any knowledgeable person to at least let them know the situation. Not superior, not knocking them or anything else - I worry for them and what they may encounter with a truck full of family or kids. In a way it's not my business, but then again it is. The welfare of anyone in a dangerous situation IS my business...at least IMO.
The problem I have with this is, even though I'm careful to meet the basic load rating requirements with my half ton pickup, I'm treated like an idiot. I have a medium size trailer. It meets all YOUR requirements.
I drive 3/4 ton pickups daily at work. I won't buy one. They ride like freight trains.
I've decided to reduce my load so I can enjoy the ride and mileage of a half ton.
Why do you guys continue to beat up folks that are following every letter of the same law you are preaching?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #53
Rocketsled

The problem with it is that it's not always obvious, or clear cut.

A guy in our group with a tiny Jayco has a 2019 Chevy 1500, it's payload is 1750lbs...Our 2017 2500HD with the massive Allison/Duramax wonderful combination has a payload of...1964 lbs.

Such an oddly weird number, and only 214 lbs more?! They're both double cabs and similarly kitted out.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #54
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
The problem with it is that it's not always obvious, or clear cut.

A guy in our group with a tiny Jayco has a 2019 Chevy 1500, it's payload is 1750lbs...Our 2017 2500HD with the massive Allison/Duramax wonderful combination has a payload of...1964 lbs.

Such an oddly weird number, and only 214 lbs more?! They're both double cabs and similarly kitted out.
You paid the diesel penalty. When you move from a 1500 gas to a 2500 diesel, the additional weight of the powerplant eats some of your payload increase.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
The problem I have with this is, even though I'm careful to meet the basic load rating requirements with my half ton pickup, I'm treated like an idiot. I have a medium size trailer. It meets all YOUR requirements.
I drive 3/4 ton pickups daily at work. I won't buy one. They ride like freight trains.
I've decided to reduce my load so I can enjoy the ride and mileage of a half ton.
Why do you guys continue to beat up folks that are following every letter of the same law you are preaching?

First and foremost "I, YOUR" requirements don't exist. They are on the door pillar of a truck. You can "say" you're careful ie: won't load to the max, no water, leave the dogs at home, add air bags etc. etc., but without scaled weights you are just "hoping". If a person doesn't actually know their scaled weights - where they stand with weights, they're not an idiot...they don't know and are just postulating.

I don't know that anyone here "beats up" anyone actually following every letter of the same law we are preaching. A questionable combo, on the face, is going to face scrutiny simply because it should. Far too many folks say "I'm good" when they have no idea, or don't care. That's fine. But, comments from anyone that doesn't have a clue and just says "I'm good, and so are you" will be questioned.

It's unfortunate that you think anyone is beating up on anyone adhering to weight rules. When shown to be within limits it seems they just sort of fade away....unless someone wants to advocate for dangerous combos etc. The biggest issue I see on this forum and others is advocating a 1/2 ton is a truck, is a truck, is a truck....just like the big ones; they're not. BTDT over and over.

Your comments about the ride and mileage of a HD truck mirror mine several years ago. Wait! The HD truck rode as well or better than the 1/2 ton (rear aired to 65) and the mileage of the 6.4 was BETTER than the 5.7 in a 1/2 ton. I (me) was the 1/2 ton poster boy for years...I was wrong and you will be too.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #56
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I really wanted to go that route, but DW refused to deal with diesel.
Then get the 3500 gasser!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #57
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Then get the 3500 gasser!
Who makes that? My Ford dealer told us everything above an F-250 is diesel.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:33 AM   #58
notanlines

Quote:
That has got to tell you what car salesmen know about their product.....next to nothing. The F450's are all diesel, all 4:30gears, but not the F350's. Better you should do your homework on reliable websites (Like Facefook ) like Ford-trucks.com, or maybe keystoneforums.com where knowledgeable people hang out.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:43 AM   #59
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Ford manufactures F350 models with both 6.2L and 7.3L gas engines and they are generally listed as "flex fuels" meaning they can use E85. These engines are a bit harder to find on lots as diesels are better sellers I believe. If you go used, Ford made a 6.8L V10 that is a pretty good engine for towing and was used in MANY Class C and Class A motorhomes. Ford also put a 5.4L gas engine in Superduty F350s and these can be found a much reduced price vs other gas engines but perhaps is not an optimum engine for towing.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:43 AM   #60
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Maybe that's all they have on their lot.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote