Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...dSqE2MUttIDLgO

Theres a whole section in there on weight. Give it a read, its from 2020
I'm VERY familiar with weight laws in Texas... I have to be..
Old 09-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #22
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm VERY familiar with weight laws in Texas... I have to be..
Then you know manufacturers gvwr isnt relevant.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Then you know manufacturers gvwr isnt relevant.
It is relevant in that Texas WILL NOT register your vehicle for MORE than the Manufacturer's GVWR and the Registered GVWR is the Weight limit for that vehicle... My 14K truck cannot be registered for more than 14K less... yes more.... nope

But my truck can weigh less than 14K and still get ticketed if my rear axle is over or the tires I have on it are over their limit.

An 18 wheeler is 80K or 84K with an overload permit but they still have to axle.. that's not a pickup hauling a 5th wheel..
Old 09-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #24
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
It is relevant in that Texas WILL NOT register your vehicle for MORE than the Manufacturer's GVWR and the Registered GVWR is the Weight limit for that vehicle... My 14K truck cannot be registered for more than 14K less... yes more.... nope

But my truck can weigh less than 14K and still get ticketed if my rear axle is over or the tires I have on it are over their limit.
That link, which is from the state of texas, does not say that. If youve got some proof lets have it, the he said she said from the weight police is ridiculous, so lets see it in writing.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #25
CWtheMan

Quote:
Gvwr is not a legally enforeable number in most states. Its a registration and warranty number. Ive had my ram over on axles and under on gvwr. The dana 80 from dana spicer is something like a 12k axle, so yes, even at its rating, it has safety margin.
There is a reason why vehicle manufacturers will say "do not exceed". With it they are setting an industry standard. Later when "push comes to shove" they can always say " I told you so".

Almost all of the industry standards are linked to safety.

I searched a long time for a definition of "industry standards". NHTSA has a link where anyone can ask questions. I asked them to define industry standards and this is the answer I got; “Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others.”
Old 09-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #26
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

That sure supports what i said. They warrantee it to that point and they say any joe schmoe will be safe to that point. Of course theyre going to downplay their liability.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #27
Javi

Quote:
That link, which is from the state of texas, does not say that. If youve got some proof lets have it, the he said she said from the weight police is ridiculous, so lets see it in writing.
Re-read section 9.1

Also section 2 which covers not only commercial but pickups with a carrying capacity of more than 2000 pounds..
Old 09-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
That sure supports what i said. They warrantee it to that point and they say any joe schmoe will be safe to that point. Of course theyre going to downplay their liability.
I believe you're holding yourself to a different standard than you're asking others to hold themself to in responding to your posts. You're saying to other members, "Show me in writing where it says what you're posting"

Hold yourself to that same standard: Show us in writing where Ford, GM or RAM builds an excess operating weight rating into their trucks. Where, in any document does it stipulate that "they warrantee it to that point and they say any joe schmoe will be safe to that point".... Is there anything "in writing" that says "theyre going to downplay their liability" ???? Where is your "in writing" documentation to support your position ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #29
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe you're holding yourself to a different standard than you're asking others to hold themself to in responding to your posts. You're saying to other members, "Show me in writing where it says what you're posting"

Hold yourself to that same standard: Show us in writing where Ford, GM or RAM builds an excess operating weight rating into their trucks. Where, in any document does it stipulate that "they warrantee it to that point and they say any joe schmoe will be safe to that point".... Is there anything "in writing" that says "theyre going to downplay their liability" ???? Where is your "in writing" documentation to support your position ???
Check your owners manual. They design this stuff to the best of their ability to be foolproof because if they dont there will be that one guy. Why do you think snowblowers have warning signs not to put your hands in the auger? That should go without saying. Same with the fan shroud. Thats why we have some of the warning signs we do.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #30
Javi

Quote:

I don't mind John... he needs to learn..
Old 09-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #31
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
I don't mind John... he needs to learn..
Well have an educational moment and lets see it. Everyone would benefit.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Check your owners manual. They design this stuff to the best of their ability to be foolproof because if they dont there will be that one guy. Why do you think snowblowers have warning signs not to put your hands in the auger? That should go without saying. Same with the fan shroud. Thats why we have some of the warning signs we do.
Do you have a "source document" that states the part I bolded in your response that "stipulates in writing" why they wrote the owner's manual the way they did? (for that one guy) ???? You're asking others to "show you in writing" so, hold yourself to the same standard and "show us in writing" where there is any documentation that "an owner "of a non-commercial, privately licensed and registered vehicle" can "ignore the GVW as long as the vehicle is operated under the RAWR"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #33
Javi

Quote:
Well have an educational moment and lets see it. Everyone would benefit.
I've actually done this several times on this forum...

In Texas you can register a pickup as a passenger vehicle with a general plate up until the carrying capacity is above 2000 pounds at that time it becomes a TRUCK... at that point different rules take over.. like I said re-read section 9.1

You also need to look at this

Light Truck
Transportation Code, Sec. 541.201. Vehicles.
In this subtitle:
(7) “Light truck” means a truck, including a pickup truck, panel delivery truck, or carryall truck, that has a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of 2,000 pounds or less.

After you pass the pickup with 2000 pounds or less then it becomes a TRUCK and section 2 applies even though your pickup isn't commercial, many of the same rules apply..
Old 09-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #34
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Do you have a "source document" that states the part I bolded in your response that "stipulates in writing" why they wrote the owner's manual the way they did? (for that one guy) ???? You're asking others to "show you in writing" so, hold yourself to the same standard and "show us in writing" where there is any documentation that "an owner "of a non-commercial, privately licensed and registered vehicle" can "ignore the GVW as long as the vehicle is operated under the RAWR"....
I already did.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #35
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
I've actually done this several times on this forum...

In Texas you can register a pickup as a passenger vehicle with a general plate up until the carrying capacity is above 2000 pounds at that time it becomes a TRUCK... at that point different rules take over.. like I said re-read section 9.1

You also need to look at this

Light Truck
Transportation Code, Sec. 541.201. Vehicles.
In this subtitle:
(7) “Light truck” means a truck, including a pickup truck, panel delivery truck, or carryall truck, that has a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of 2,000 pounds or less.

After you pass the pickup with 2000 pounds or less then it becomes a TRUCK and section 2 applies even though your pickup isn't commercial, many of the same rules apply..
Section 2 only states registered gvwr, not manufacturers.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I already did.
Somewhere I must have missed your source document. I rechecked every post in this thread and still can't find where you posted a link to the "black and white statement from Ford, GM or RAM where they say it's OK to ignore the GVW as long as you're under the RAWR... Could you do me a favor and repost that link to the document?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Section 2 only states registered gvwr, not manufacturers.
Page 2-3: "All trucks and truck-tractors registered are registered for the gross weight of the vehicle, which is inclusive of the empty weight plus the net carrying capacity. The vehicle should not be registered for more than the manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating. (GVWR)"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Somewhere I must have missed your source document. I rechecked every post in this thread and still can't find where you posted a link to the "black and white statement from Ford, GM or RAM where they say it's OK to ignore the GVW as long as you're under the RAWR... Could you do me a favor and repost that link to the document?

Fellows, I think we have hit that proverbial "brick wall" . When you think you know what you just don't know, well......
Old 09-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #39
CWtheMan

FMVSS 571.3 defines GVWR. FMVSS also requires the vehicle manufacturer to set a GVWR for each vehicle they build. 49 CFR part 567 (Certification) directs the vehicle manufacturer to certify GVWR and place a placard on the vehicle that clearly shows it's GVWR. NHTSA mandates that GVWR and GAWR values are described in the vehicle owner's manual. In the Keystone owner's manual that information is on page #22.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #40
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Page 2-3: "All trucks and truck-tractors registered are registered for the gross weight of the vehicle, which is inclusive of the empty weight plus the net carrying capacity. The vehicle should not be registered for more than the manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating. (GVWR)"
Still goes back to registered weight. Pa says the manufacturers gvwr is the sum of the axle weights
Closed Thread