Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #21
Pull Toy

Top Tier? Can you say "GIMMMICK" boys and girls?

+1 for "red diesel" being the exact same quality fuel as "Hi-way". It is dyed red to indicate that no road tax was collected. You don't even want to get caught with it in your tank if they "stick" your tank during a traffic stop. They WILL sideline you and fine you big time ($$$$)! Generally here in CT, if a station carries it at all, it's in a separate WELL MARKED tank.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #22
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I'm sure that most of you who drive diesel's have noticed that the price has not dropped at the rate that gasoline has dropped. I have seen an article that "explains" how the oil companies have developed new "strategies" to produce more gasoline from a barrel of oil and lower the amount of by-products.....also, keep in mind that the USA diesel quality is NOT at the high standards that diesel fuel in Europe is. This has been addressed many times in reference to an increase in fuel pump failures of our newer diesel trucks. Bosch holds that our fuel quality is to blame. But for gas to drop over .70 a gallon and diesel to only drop about .30 cents.....what are your thoughts?
Diesel is in very high demand as an international export. It's that old capitalistic bug a boo....demand and supply.
Refineries can "tweak" the process a little bit, but most significant changes require huge expenditures in hardware that takes a considerable time to design and build.
The biggest issue right now seems to be the huge and rapid supply of very light fracked shale oil. Most Gulf Coast refineries were designed to run on heavy crude. Shale oil is anything but. A few east coast refineries were set up to run Arabian light sweet crude, but not very many.
I know our Shell Deer Park plant was modified many years ago to run very heavy Mexican Mayan mud crude. Now we are drowning in light shale oil and Mexico can't keep up their crude production. Mexico has also let their refineries fall into disrepair and they can only run a small percentage of their nameplate capacity.
Making fuel ain't easy.
https://rbnenergy.com/runnin-down-a-...efining-sector
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #23
travelin texans

As stated "supply & demand". Consider the gallons of diesel used by trucking industry per day plus the amount of diesel one railroad locomotive can hold & burn through in a trip as compared to gasoline use per vehicle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #24
Badbart56

Yeah, and consider how many light duty diesel trucks are on the road also. Don't think this was a coincidence.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #25
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Fold in half? Can you please explain further?

The tailgate on my PU appears to be one solid piece which can be opened to a horizontal position. I don't see any way to open it to a half-open position.
I don't know to past a link. Its called multi pro tailgate that folds in the middle to make a step it does other cool stuff and I though it was standard for 2019 denial.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #26
cookinwitdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I don't know to past a link. Its called multi pro tailgate that folds in the middle to make a step it does other cool stuff and I though it was standard for 2019 denial.
That is only for the new 1500. The HDs wont get a new design until 2020 model year
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #27
Ddubya

It appears to me that a few companies have a "Top Tier" additive that have been approved. This will most likely be added to diesel by the distributors at the request of the retailers as is done with gasoline. In the future we will most likely see companies that are now selling "Top Tier" gasoline having the same for diesel.
I am very cautious about the fuel I use and stay away from discount fuel and bio products.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #28
travelin texans

For you to get bad enough fuel to harm your truck it would have to be a really shady retailer as the fuel quality & pump operation are both tested regularly by state regulators.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #29
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
For you to get bad enough fuel to harm your truck it would have to be a really shady retailer as the fuel quality & pump operation are both tested regularly by state regulators.
Only once per year here. Unless they get a complaint from a consumer.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #30
Ddubya

I am more concerned about the cumulative effects of using lower quality or B20 bio fuel than the occasional use of it. "Top Tier" gasoline has additives to improve performance and clean the engine so I will pay a few cents more for it just to be safe.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #31
bobbecky

A couple of advantages of B20 diesel is that it cleans the fuel system and it also has a higher lubricating quality that helps the fuel pumps and injectors. I have never noticed any reduction of power or mileage when I have used B20. Many older diesel engines that were not rated for B20 will barely run with it, and maybe that's why some think B20 is of poorer quality than pure dino diesel. Most states have minimum standards for cetane ratings and other quality standards, just like with gasoline. Diesel #1 has a lower paraffin content which is what gels up in diesel when it gets too cold.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #32
MarkEHansen

So what is the "Arctic Grade" or "Severe Winter Grade" diesel mentioned in my owner's manual? It says in really cold conditions (below 0 degrees F), I can use this "arctic" grade, but it will reduce performance.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking back to 1972 and the "leaded/unleaded" gas discussions/arguments that we had, I see much of the same with the "bio/dino" diesel and "top tier/normal tier" discussions/arguments that we're currently having.

Remember when the "5MPH front bumpers" first came out and everyone thought that "big ugly lip" was a reason to never buy another new vehicle.....

I wonder what discussions/arguments we'll be having in 40 years? Nuclear vs solar vs some "yet to be imagined" fuel source ????

I don't think you can buy diesel around here without "some" bio-diesel additive" and in some states, it's mandatory, so depending on where you live, bio vs dino and top tier vs standard are really nothing more than buying the same thing at the same station because nothing else is even available. So, the question becomes: Do you drive to the next city to fill up with "top tier" or do you go to the local truck stop and buy "normal diesel"???

I agree, don't buy "watered down diesel from a station with a known bad reputation" but at the same time, at least for me, it's not worth the effort to drive 50 miles to fill up with something that may or may not be any better than what I can buy at the local Marathon station..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #34
retiredusps69

Ok Diesel dyed red is for off road, No tax number. 1 Fuel oil is kero. Or use to be.Number 2 diesel is the same as home heating oil. In the late 1980 alot of truck stops were selling # 2 home heating oil and beating the tax. Thus the red dye was put in to stop beating the tax.Detroit Diesels used to love Kero/ #1 diesel. You could get a nice blue flame come out both stacks.Detroit actualy said to burn #1 diesel.Nj Transit use to use only # 1 fuel. I delivered enough of Diesel and Gasoline to fill a Stadium.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #35
Ken / Claudia

My first diesel pu was a 1988 ford f350, since a 1996 and 2001 all ford.
I have never seen "Top Tier" diesel on any pump. Maybe I have missed it but, I check for Bio or B20 and if it is #1 or #2. The newest fed requirement for the ultra low sulfur diesel road fuel has dropped my 2001 truck mpg down about 2 mpg, same as the B20. Remember my truck engine was never made for this new stuff. Your experience with B20 may not make any different.
Mark the most important thing about any fuel you may use is water in the fuel. Check to see if you have a manual way to dump that out. My fords do and it is easy. They have a warning light that comes on when there is water in the fuel bowl and all you do is open the hood and flip a lever. The fuel bowl dumps out the soiled fuel.
A buddy did not dump his bad fuel and continued driving across Oregon. It cost him several thousand in the need for new fuel injectors. That was his words.
I had the water in fuel light come on once in the 96. I pulled over and fixed it. That was within a few miles of the last fill up. It never came back on again and no engine problems occurred.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #36
travelin texans

I've had 2 GMC diesels, an '05 & '13 for a total of 300k+ miles so far & have never had the "water in fuel" warning. I do add an additive to displace the water plus contains a bacteriacide about every 3rd or 4th fill up. I've bought fuel from about every type of place that's available all across the country, from mom/pop convenience stores & truck stops to all the major stations & truck stops & have never ever had any fuel issues.
By accident once I filled up with off road diesel, went in to tell the gal behind the counter so she could charge me the tax, the old guy behind me said "you'll burn that sum bitch up with that in there, it's way too hot for that motor" to which I said "yea ok!", confused the poor gal terribly, I signed a form saying I got it by accident & left, no problem.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #37
MarkEHansen

Ken,

Yes, we have a manual way to dump the water separated from the fuel, but it seems it's harder to get at than yours. We have to go under the truck. I haven't looked at it yet, so I don't know what's involved in dumping it. The Owner's manual is a little vague on the topic, so I was going to research more.

Thanks,
Old 01-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #38
Ken / Claudia

It's one of those just in case, it may save the truck. Maybe someone can help explain your truck on how to do it. Now get out there and put some miles on that truck!
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
MarkEHansen

Oh, I think I just need to get under there and try it Just haven't had time yet.

I did take out our trailer for its first pull using this new truck. It was great! Much better than pulling it behind our last vehicle (GMC Yukon Denali half-ton).
Old 01-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #40
NevadaRich

Mark,
Since you asked the question, I have been looking, LOL I found you top tier at Costco in Roseville....
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote