Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Cheryl

Truck question

New to towing and I had a question in regards to the truck. We went on a trip with some fairly high passes (Banff - Jasper highway). Didn't realize they were so high. I had read the owners manual for towing before going but it's not so clear. Was going to call the truck dealer to ask about towing but thought I'd probably get better info here. The truck is a 2015 GMC half tonne. We had to have trailer brakes installed where they were put just above the brakes (we were told we could have the same ones as some of the other trucks had; up by the steering wheel: not so). Anyway, the trailer brakes are set and there's no way to adjust while driving. There's a tow haul mode on an arm by the steering wheel with a plus and minus button.

One the trip I assumed we just set the tow haul mode and that was it. Going up the steep hill, we stopped at a pull through half way and panicked when we both smelled a burning smell. Waited about 20-30 minutes and then continued.

On the way home, we went down a steep hill with tow mode on. I could hear the truck shifting and didn't ride the brakes only applying periodically. Thought I did well. When we got to the bottom, my husband felt the hubcaps on truck and trailer and the front ones on the truck were very hot. He could'nt leave his hand on it. Waited about half an hour.

Is this normal when towing? Do you have to do something else besides the tow haul? Worried about the hills now. We started by getting the truck first so I could get used to driving it. Been driving it for a year and feel comfortable. I've never had to "downshift" a vehicle before. Do I need to with tow mode? If so, how is this done and how do you know when to? I was hoping this would be easy. I'm not so mechanically inclined and even the terminology gets me.

I know it's a busy camping time for all but any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
kfxgreenie

Was this trip towing an RV and if so how big and how heavy?
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Cheryl

It's a 25 ft trailer and we don't take very much. It's well under the tow rating for the vehicle.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

What brake controller did they install? Brand/model.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Numbers are critical in a situation like yours. What is the trailer weight? If you don't have scale weights what does the trailer sticker say...or, just tell us exactly what trailer you have. The specs on the 1/2 ton is very helpful as well.

I will tell you that running high mountains and passes, with a 1/2 ton and a 25' trailer can get you in trouble if you aren't equipped and experienced - I see it virtually every week.

If you are overweight, don't know how to manage the trailer/truck combo, don't have the trailer brake controller set correctly or ? ? ? you can/will burn up the brakes on truck/trailer, lose control etc. You are at a disadvantage with the 1/2 ton carrying any kind of weight in those long grades up/down. More info would be helpful. And yes, if you aren't set up correctly the smell of burning brake linings, overheating engines can/will happen and can ruin your day....greatly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
What brake controller did they install? Brand/model.
It's a prodigy p2

Old 08-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
It's a prodigy p2

Here's a photo.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
Cheryl

It is a 2015 1500 Series 4wd double cab standard box. 5.3L V8. Axle ratio is 3.42. Max trailer weight is 4173 kg or 9,200 lbs. GCWR is 6804 kg or 15,000 lbs.

Trailer is a Keystone Hideout (west) 26 RLSWE. Dry weight 6150 lbs. GVWR 7620 lbs.

2 people in truck. All tanks empty.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
Cheryl

The smell we noticed wad on going up the hill. Not down.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Truck question

Ok. At least they installed a top notch controller. Did you get the paperwork and quick start guide with it?

If not then go to the tekonsha website and get it. It will explain how to set the controller for proper towing. Coming down hills can be daunting if your not familiar with the controller, how it functions and proper set up. I have a prodigy (first gen) and I don't heat up my truck brakes bringing 16,000 pounds down a steep grade. I DON'T have tow/haul mode so I "work" the trailer brakes a bit and then both.

I'm on my iPhone so typing out the whole explanation would give me a callous on my finger LOL. If someone doesn't explain it to you, I will get to my iPad where it's easier to type.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
Cheryl

The gauge was normal for the engine temperature.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
The smell we noticed wad on going up the hill. Not down.

If your smelling brakes going UP the hill, then there is something wrong with the way your controller was installed, or set up.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #13
Cheryl

Quote:
If your smelling brakes going UP the hill, then there is something wrong with the way your controller was installed, or set up.
Well I'm not sure it was the brakes?? Very faint but there. It was a hot day.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #14
Cheryl

Quote:
Ok. At least they installed a top notch controller. Did you get the paperwork and quick start guide with it?

If not then go to the tekonsha website and get it. It will explain how to set the controller for proper towing. Coming down hills can be daunting if your not familiar with the controller, how it functions and proper set up. I have a prodigy (first gen) and I don't heat up my truck brakes bringing 16,000 pounds down a steep grade. I DON'T have tow/haul mode so I "work" the trailer brakes a bit and then both.

I'm on my iPhone so typing out the whole explanation would give me a callous on my finger LOL. If someone doesn't explain it to you, I will get to my iPad where it's easier to type.
I do have the paperwork here and when we went to have the tow bars installed, they also set up the brake for us which was put in by our truck dealer. The displays say we are getting power. We were there and they seemed to know and have experience?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #15
Desert185

A quick reference guide comes with the P2. I would review it and ensure they set the controller properly for the weight of the trailer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
A quick reference guide comes with the P2. I would review it and ensure they set the controller properly for the weight of the trailer.
I have the quick reference guide but its not so helpful. It talks about boost features but I believe you have to set that while driving? The controller is down by my feet and as I'm only 5'2", any changes need to be done before driving as it would be too dangerous to try to do while driving. I even watched some u tube videos on how to get the right number, but that required driving 25 mph and applying the manual knob!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #17
Cheryl

Should I be doing anything with the plus and minus buttons on the tow haul arm? Or do you think it might be the trailer brakes?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #18
Ken / Claudia

The uphill smell might be the transmission. One way to check if you over heated it is smell and look at the dip stick. Burn odor is bad, color unless changed in that truck would be a red wine color.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't know about tow/haul mode since I don't have that brand of truck or that option. As t,setting the controller:

The prodigy has a wheel on the left side that sets how much voltage goes to the brakes. The button on the right side sets "boost" kind of like an extra shot to the brakes. The lever on the bottom manually applies the brakes, the further you move it the more voltage applied.
Boost is set by looking at the weights of the truck and trailer. My trailer weighs more than my truck so I run boost 1, when coming down a steep grade I will up it to boost 2 and then back to boost 1 on flat ground.

The controller will apply voltage based on vehicle speed, so if your sitting still and press the truck brakes, the controller won't send much if any voltage to the brakes. Adjustments should be made at 30MPH on a dry road preferable empty road.

BEFORE You start adjusting anything, with the trailer plugged in and sitting still, move the manual lever all the way to the left and then using the left wheel adjust it so the reading is about 4.5. Then go out on the road, and hit the truck brakes a few times.
if the trailer feels like it's PUSHING you, turn the voltage UP
If the trailer is YANKING YOU BACK, turn the voltage down.

ALL ADJUSTMENTS NEED TO BE VERY SMALL, meaning move the voltage adjusting wheel just a tiny bit and try again. Ideally you want the trailer to just "pull on your shoulder" a bit if that makes sense.

The above adjustments should be made AFTER setting the boost.

When decending a steep grade, by all means use tow/haul mode. You can use the manual lever to help slow things down and if your normal set is boost 1 for example, feel free to up it to boost 2 or 3 depending on steepness of grade, just be aware that upping the boost will make the trailer brakes grab a lot more.

Hope this helps, it takes a bit of practice, but you'll get it.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #20
Cheryl

Quote:
I don't know about tow/haul mode since I don't have that brand of truck or that option. As t,setting the controller:

The prodigy has a wheel on the left side that sets how much voltage goes to the brakes. The button on the right side sets "boost" kind of like an extra shot to the brakes. The lever on the bottom manually applies the brakes, the further you move it the more voltage applied.
Boost is set by looking at the weights of the truck and trailer. My trailer weighs more than my truck so I run boost 1, when coming down a steep grade I will up it to boost 2 and then back to boost 1 on flat ground.

The controller will apply voltage based on vehicle speed, so if your sitting still and press the truck brakes, the controller won't send much if any voltage to the brakes. Adjustments should be made at 30MPH on a dry road preferable empty road.

BEFORE You start adjusting anything, with the trailer plugged in and sitting still, move the manual lever all the way to the left and then using the left wheel adjust it so the reading is about 4.5. Then go out on the road, and hit the truck brakes a few times.
if the trailer feels like it's PUSHING you, turn the voltage UP
If the trailer is YANKING YOU BACK, turn the voltage down.

ALL ADJUSTMENTS NEED TO BE VERY SMALL, meaning move the voltage adjusting wheel just a tiny bit and try again. Ideally you want the trailer to just "pull on your shoulder" a bit if that makes sense.

The above adjustments should be made AFTER setting the boost.

When decending a steep grade, by all means use tow/haul mode. You can use the manual lever to help slow things down and if your normal set is boost 1 for example, feel free to up it to boost 2 or 3 depending on steepness of grade, just be aware that upping the boost will make the trailer brakes grab a lot more.

Hope this helps, it takes a bit of practice, but you'll get it.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm not able to make changes while driving so I can set the boost to b2 or 3 when I'm stopped before a steep grade down, then stop at the bottom to reset to b1?

I'd do the setting adjustments testing with b1 on? Assuming you don't change the settings if you change it to b2 for a hill?

Maybe have to find a quiet road to check it all. Spent many hours practicing backing in and it sure helped! [emoji3]