Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
kksfish

The bad and the ugly.......how bout the good

So I am going tomorrow to "look" at a 2017 Ram 2500 with the Cummings diesel. I have had lots of trucks but this may be the first diesel if I get trade I want ! I have heard a lot of expensive horror stories on here but how about happy owners?

Am I getting into a constant maintenance nightmare or just normal stuff?
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
kfxgreenie

If you get a Cummings it will be constantly oozing white filth. If you get a Cummins you will be good to go. The longer they get on an emissions "run" the more the quirks are worked out. The 17's are the 4th year of the DEF setup.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't have a dog in this hunt since I don't own a diesel. Since I intend to buy one I have done quite a bit of research and I think you have issues with all of them. From what I've been able to glean the Cummings is probably the best engine, the Allison the best tranny. That's just what I've deduced from reading info until my eyes bleed. Kind of what I've come up with trying to boil things down for me. I've got a friend that has the Duramax. He has had so many problems that at 125k he will not drive it any more and told me that his research also directed him to a Cummings, which he said he is going to buy. There are very vocal advocates of all of them, and all of them have good points....and bad. At this date in time I don't think any of them really has anything that makes them head and shoulders above the other, and then, you get back to the "which do I like best....Ford, GM, Ram" question...which is answered by each individual...JMO Let the rebuttals begin.......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't have a dog in this hunt since I don't own a diesel. Since I intend to buy one I have done quite a bit of research and I think you have issues with all of them. From what I've been able to glean the Cummings is probably the best engine, the Allison the best tranny. That's just what I've deduced from reading info until my eyes bleed. Kind of what I've come up with trying to boil things down for me. I've got a friend that has the Duramax. He has had so many problems that at 125k he will not drive it any more and told me that his research also directed him to a Cummings, which he said he is going to buy. There are very vocal advocates of all of them, and all of them have good points....and bad. At this date in time I don't think any of them really has anything that makes them head and shoulders above the other, and then, you get back to the "which do I like best....Ford, GM, Ram" question...which is answered by each individual...JMO Let the rebuttals begin.......
It's a Cummins. I hope this is an auto correct issue.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
So I am going tomorrow to "look" at a 2017 Ram 2500 with the Cummings diesel. I have had lots of trucks but this may be the first diesel if I get trade I want ! I have heard a lot of expensive horror stories on here but how about happy owners?

Oh yeah, if a 5th wheel is in your future and a Diesel is on the want list, just skip the 2500 and at least get a 3500 SRW while you have the choice.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Bolo4u

I had a 98 Ram 1500 4x4 gasser, then an 04 2500 quad cab, short bed, the only major issues I had were a leaking seal up front, steering box replaced and radiator leak, all were warranty if I remember, then had the trans rebuilt around the 85k mark. It did not have any def or other emissions stuff like the newer trucks, had it for 10 years and it was a good ride, and still going strong for the relative to whom I sold it in 2015. I bought a new 2015 2500 diesel 4x4 crew cab, Laramie package, short bed. Great truck, smooth ride, comfy inside and generally quiet with the newer engine. I had received a recall notice for the DEF (or DPF?) upgrade/replacement issue. The parts were backordered so I didn't get to have it addressed when I traded it in just over two years of having it, with ~35000 miles, for a 2017 Ram 3500 Diesel 4x4 Laramie dually for towing purposes. I really have liked all the trucks I've owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
kksfish

Oops...Cummins ! Already have the fiver that I pull with a 2500 gasser Silverado. The capacity is fine and a srw suites my needs and my garage size! I am retiring in December and plan on some long trips and the diesel will pull the mountains and steep grades a little better.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Oops...Cummins ! Already have the fiver that I pull with a 2500 gasser Silverado. The capacity is fine and a srw suites my needs and my garage size! I am retiring in December and plan on some long trips and the diesel will pull the mountains and steep grades a little better.
Realize that the diesel will weigh in somewhere between 500 to 700 pounds more than the gas engine. That extra weight comes directly off the payload since that 10K GVW is the wall every 3/4 ton truck hits regardless of actual capacity or capability. So you're going to cut into your "current, comfortable capacity" (CCC) dramatically with the trade to diesel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Yup you just confirmed, Payload is the problem. A 2500 gasser has a lot more payload than a 2500 Diesel. The 2500 Diesel will yank around a medium sized 5er fine, but you will more than likely be over payload. I run a 2500 RAM Diesel and 12000 GVWR 5er With a advertised pin of 1600 LB's. I feel confident and safe but the WP here will inform you that you are asking yourself for a litigation problem possibly in the event of an accident. I had the truck before the RV. You have a chance to buy a Diesel truck with the capacity's to haul your RV legally, now is your chance to do it right. Look at they yellow door tag inside the 2500 you are going to look at tomorrow and then at a 3500 SRW.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #10
Bolo4u

KFX commentary aside, my 2015 Ram 2500 had a payload sticker with 2050 available, unladen. Truck weighed 8400 (CAT scale) with only myself, Dad and full fuel/def, and NOTHING ELSE. Giving me 1600 before I hit the magic number of 10k. With hitch and empty trailer reweighed at same scale, later in the day, I was 19440. The trailer connected put me at about 2280 weight on the rear axle.

My dually has a payload of 5625. I'm on a trip with the DW and son. Cat scale, loaded with family, hitch and full fuel (no trailer) I was 9120. Reweighed the next morning, same scale with trailer (as loaded for our the trip we're on), I was 20860, with right at 2500 pounds payload.

With the trailer as it is, I would have been 500-1000 pounds overweight in my 2500. I didn't want that white knuckle dread on my conscious.

To the OP, you do what you feel is good or right for your purposes.

You asked about truck recommendations and I offered my opinion of the Rams I've owned and driven. But this thread may digress into another weight debate... The weight aspect of which truck you select is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #11
vampress_me

My $0.02 on diesels, good, bad, ugly. Our first truck was a 1997 Dodge 1500. Gas obviously. It was an ok truck. Worked good for a couple of college kids, one of who had just got his first "real" job after college. After the transmission went out in that one under warranty in 1998 in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and started to go out again the next year, we traded it in on a 1999 Dodge 2500, Cummins of course! Loved that truck! Even after we had to replace the block due to it being a Brazilian 53 block, we loved that truck. Moved to MN, truck started rusting really bad even with baths. Bought a 2009 F-350 diesel. Also loved that truck. Traded it in on a 2016 F-350 diesel when MN decided all diesel sold in-state had to be 20% biodiesel and the 2009 was only rated for 5% and it started to need new sensors because of it. Again, love the 2016 diesel. Moral of my story, I've loved all our diesels. And even with some expensive issues to fix, I won't change to a gas truck.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
jtharding2712

Quote:

FYI the ram 2500 diesels only have about a 2300lb. payload so don't get to hitch weight heavy of a trailer..

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
jtharding2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
It's a Cummins. I hope this is an auto correct issue.

Yes! It is a CUMMINS! I spent a day with a friend I grew up with (in another thread) discussing his battle with 3 kinds of cancer and he has been on my mind a lot. His last name....CUMMINGS. Sorry for the error KFX.....hopefully this is autocorrected to make you feel better.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

Go to each dealer and test them out. That's the fun part. Remember you do not need to buy it just because you walked onto the lot. Give them your phone number. At the end of the month they will phone you back with better deals.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 AM   #15
kksfish

Sigh! Thanks for all the great info everyone,........I think I may have talked myself into waiting a while longer before getting the diesel and then looking more at the 3500instead!
My 266 RL fiver has a 11K GVWR
I went to the website for the dealer I was going to buy from and he only has one 3500 on the lot and it's way out of my price range. So back to looking again!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #16
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes! It is a CUMMINS! I spent a day with a friend I grew up with (in another thread) discussing his battle with 3 kinds of cancer and he has been on my mind a lot. His last name....CUMMINGS. Sorry for the error KFX.....hopefully this is autocorrected to make you feel better.
I wasn't trying to have any hard feelings, emoticon are supposed to show an emotion. The lol was showing that I was just poking fun. I'm sorry to hear about your friend hopefully he can win the battle.

Quote:
Sigh! Thanks for all the great info everyone,........I think I may have talked myself into waiting a while longer before getting the diesel and then looking more at the 3500instead!
I went to the website for the dealer I was going to buy from and he only has one 3500 on the lot and it's way out of my price range. So back to looking again!
Glad you found out now and not after the purchase.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:59 AM   #17
Desert185

Quote:
My name is Desert185 and I'm a Cummins-holic.

My issue these days is with all the emmisions and sophisticated control systems on these vehicles. To keep it short, the odds are you're going to have issues with any of the big three, so just buy what suits you after driving them all, but at least get a diesel, SRW one ton.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:35 AM   #18
gearhead

My first diesel was a Ford F350, 2014 I think. It had an occasional stumble when accelerating from a turn or pulling out into traffic. Always at the worst possible moment. Dealer re-flashed it a couple times, no help. Anyway, I was 300-600 pounds over payload capacity. I traded it on a Ram 1 ton, SRW, Cummins, Aisin, CC, LB, 4x4. Actually equipped exactly the same as the Ford. The Ford had 3267# payload capacity, the Ram has 4018#.
The Ram seems to me to be a lower RPM engine. The Ford was higher RPM hotrod. The Ram "looks" easier to work on. The Ford was crammed tight around the engine.
I had no major issues with either. "You pays your money and you takes your choice."
I would say you should forget a 3/4 ton and get a 1 ton.
Plenty of trucks in Texas. Soccer Moms drive them here. Come on down.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #19
kksfish

Ok....I did it a nice shiny red 3500 like everyone suggested....4X4, crew cab, short box!

It rode pretty nice for a one ton compared to my 2500 Silverado...And the DW seems to like it! And it fits in my garage.......

I will post photos when I figure out how!
Old 07-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #20
gearhead

3500 as in Ram or Chevy?
Either is an excellent choice.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote