Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2022, 04:04 PM   #1
Spock123

Electric GM 3500

I hope GM brings out a electric 3500 soon. Just think how much money I would save on campground fees. I could use the batteries in the truck to furnish all my electrical needs. Just stop at Walmart or a rest area. The high price of diesel would be history and no more state or federal road tax. Just a win win
Spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock123 View Post
I hope GM brings out a electric 3500 soon. Just think how much money I would save on campground fees. I could use the batteries in the truck to furnish all my electrical needs. Just stop at Walmart or a rest area. The high price of diesel would be history and no more state or federal road tax. Just a win win

I assume this in in jest?? Those statements and reality parted at the gitgo.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I assume this in in jest?? Those statements and reality parted at the gitgo.
Hopefully that was in jest!
But read some of the propaganda about EVs from the proponents & it's almost word for word! AND they truly believe it???
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:57 PM   #4
xrated

We just bought TWO brand new EV and no state or federal road tax, no diesel fuel, I just have to figure out how to tow with it.........oh wait....I do tow with it...

And the wife's non diesel, non state or federal vehicle...
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Hopefully that was in jest!
But read some of the propaganda about EVs from the proponents & it's almost word for word! AND they truly believe it???
Reminds me of something a very wise man told me. "If you take a bag of dog feces and knok on enough doors you'll find someone that wants to buy it." Nowdays, it seems to me that some folks beleive if they keep repeating the same lie long enough it becomes true.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #6
notanlines

I'm still waiting for an answer to the question "How are these EV's paying to use the roads I paid for?" Same thing for the bicycles I have to share the road with. How are they taxed?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm still waiting for an answer to the question "How are these EV's paying to use the roads I paid for?" Same thing for the bicycles I have to share the road with. How are they taxed?

Jim, come on now. They're "green". They cost nothing. The roads are paid for by "fossil fuels" and those that drive gas vehicles, the "green things" are special and need not pay their way. Oh wait, "green" means the fossil fuel taxes go away, roads go away, horses and oxen come back....jeez Good questions.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock123 View Post
I'm pretty sure you would have to drop the trailer somewhere in order to use a charging station. Then get a ride back to the trailer to wait for the truck to charge. If you plan on powering the trailer from the truck plan on getting the truck towed back to the charging station and repeat above. Also remember driving range is reduced if using A/C or heat. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Jim, come on now. They're "green". They cost nothing. The roads are paid for by "fossil fuels" and those that drive gas vehicles, the "green things" are special and need not pay their way. Oh wait, "green" means the fossil fuel taxes go away, roads go away, horses and oxen come back....jeez Good questions.
Horses and oxen produce too much methane .... start walking.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:18 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Don't forget that if the road is made of asphalt, it literally is "fossil fuel" and if it's made of concrete, I would suspect, that the amount of fossil fuel to crush the rock, mine the ingredients for the Portland cement, mix and transport it to the roadway bed and lay it, would use a tremendous amount of fossil fuel.

So, not only is that electric truck "mooching off taxpayersl with incentives to make it affordable," it continues to do so with every mile of "non-payment of road use taxes"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:47 PM   #11
bobbecky

Electricity is probably the most expensive component of Portland cement. All the ingredients are heated with electric heaters to create the clinker that is ground into the final cement powder.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:52 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

So, not only is that electric truck "mooching off taxpayersl with incentives to make it affordable," ...
I just started laughing when I remembered that I received an "Alternative fuel incentive" when I bought my first Diesel in '94.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:10 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

What I find amusing, and sad, about the EV crowd is the complete ignorance (or ignoring) the fact the the overwhelming, vast amount of electricity is created by using what? FOSSIL FUEL thats what. With a moratorium on nuclear and hydro electric dams fossil fuel is the only practical way to create energy. So many folks are unedjucated exactly how that electricity gets to that plug on the wall.

The electric grid is at a critical state now. Add millions of EVs drawing heavy amperage and well, good luck. Part of the issue with currently with getting computer chips from the far east is their rapind growth and lagging infastructure. Many areas over there only have electricity for a few hours a day. Then there's the ignored pollution of "going green". The production and disposal of batteries, solar panels, wind mill components etc. are going tremendous damage to the environment. IMO it just isn't ready for prime time yet.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:13 AM   #14
jasin1

Just like ethanol…saw this the other day https://www.reuters.com/business/env...ds-2022-02-14/

The cure is worse then the disease
Old 02-17-2022, 05:13 AM   #15
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Don't forget that if the road is made of asphalt, it literally is "fossil fuel" and if it's made of concrete, I would suspect, that the amount of fossil fuel to crush the rock, mine the ingredients for the Portland cement, mix and transport it to the roadway bed and lay it, would use a tremendous amount of fossil fuel.

So, not only is that electric truck "mooching off taxpayersl with incentives to make it affordable," it continues to do so with every mile of "non-payment of road use taxes"...
I dunno John. I watched a neat video online of a towing test on the Rivian going up and thru Eisenhower Tunnel and then back. Was interesting to watch. But the part that caught my attention was the bill the testers got when they recharged. It was a sizable amount. I remember thinking that it was not much different than the bill at the pump for fuel. I assumed that the electric charge would be far less than fuel but it wasn't. So maybe road taxes are charged at the charging station? One thing for sure, if it can be taxed it will be taxed.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:23 AM   #16
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I dunno John. I watched a neat video online of a towing test on the Rivian going up and thru Eisenhower Tunnel and then back. Was interesting to watch. But the part that caught my attention was the bill the testers got when they recharged. It was a sizable amount. I remember thinking that it was not much different than the bill at the pump for fuel. I assumed that the electric charge would be far less than fuel but it wasn't. So maybe road taxes are charged at the charging station? One thing for sure, if it can be taxed it will be taxed.
Not to be political .....but there are only two sure things in life...Death and taxes!.......and in my case, an ex wife!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Horses and oxen produce too much methane .... start walking.
It's all about the narative. In our world, if Daniel Boone was chopping down trees to make a way west he'd be a tree killer. Destroying the environment and killing off those pretty deer and cuddly rabbits! He wasn't vegan! How horrid! I've seen programs on tv exhualting the Myans and other ancients that are exhualted for their being "advanced civilizations". Ok, advanced so far they sacraficed people to make it rain? Man I wish they could teach common sense in school.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's an "interesting article" from way back in 2001, concerning the "net loss of energy to produce ethanol"... https://news.cornell.edu/stories/200...scientist-says

Essentially, half the BTU's in a gallon of ethanol are consumed by fossil fuel needed to run the tractors and harvest machines to grow the corn. Then even more is required to process the corn "at the fermenting center"...

Bottom line, back in 2001 was that there was a "NET LOSS" in energy because it took 54,000 more BTU per gallon to produce ethanol than was actually in the gallon of ethanol.

As for economics, back then, it cost $0.95 to produce a gallon of fossil fuel and $1.74 to produce a gallon of ethanol. That doesn't include the increase costs of diverting that corn from feeding animals or humans, which drives up the "hidden costs" of ethanol when you add in the inflationary costs of a can of corn at WalMart or a "sack of corn" at the feed store.

Interesting article, 20 years ago and although the "processing costs have changed, the government still has to offset the cost of ethanol with tax dollars to make it possible to "force us to use it in vehicles"..... Otherwise, it would be economically impossible to maintain ethanol use for transportation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Hydrogen is even worse at energy required to make vs end product btu. I can't recall Government subsidies that ever went away. I think the Government subsidizes stupidity, their own. logically a continual subsidy is required when a project is not self sustaining. Typically a few well connected folks get filthy rich while the average tax payer gets sucked dry paying the tab. Anyone remember Solyndra?
Old 02-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Here's an "interesting article" from way back in 2001, concerning the "net loss of energy to produce ethanol"... https://news.cornell.edu/stories/200...scientist-says

Essentially, half the BTU's in a gallon of ethanol are consumed by fossil fuel needed to run the tractors and harvest machines to grow the corn. Then even more is required to process the corn "at the fermenting center"...

Bottom line, back in 2001 was that there was a "NET LOSS" in energy because it took 54,000 more BTU per gallon to produce ethanol than was actually in the gallon of ethanol.

As for economics, back then, it cost $0.95 to produce a gallon of fossil fuel and $1.74 to produce a gallon of ethanol. That doesn't include the increase costs of diverting that corn from feeding animals or humans, which drives up the "hidden costs" of ethanol when you add in the inflationary costs of a can of corn at WalMart or a "sack of corn" at the feed store.

Interesting article, 20 years ago and although the "processing costs have changed, the government still has to offset the cost of ethanol with tax dollars to make it possible to "force us to use it in vehicles"..... Otherwise, it would be economically impossible to maintain ethanol use for transportation.

Sorta like the circular results from using an inverter to power a rv Breaker panel while still having a converter that you use to charge batteries to use an inverter ..etc… you get the picture lol