Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2021, 05:09 AM   #21
Crischan

With a 41' trailer and you running diesel, I am surprised that you hate truck stops...you must like to live dangerously lol.

Im the polar opposite, love how quick and easy they are to fill up. That was why I started second guessing me going to a Gas truck...

Chris

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 Diesel
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Crischan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:58 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You want to see a circus with cars and pickups parked at the pumps just go to any Buc-ee's they go in and spend an hour...

Yep, Buc-ee's is a circus but pretty interesting....and a decent bbq sandwich. While folks do tend to park at the pump and go in (I'm one with the trailer attached) they have a zillion gas pumps. You may have to walk a half mile to go inside (I try to park farther out to stay out of the way) but it's a hoot to me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
There are getting to be more and more of those inconsiderate yo yos thinking the pump lanes are parking lanes because they don't want to walk that extra 20' if they used a parking space due to pure laziness. I try my best to step out and express my thoughts.
Here in sunny South Texas folks park under the shelter roof to keep their car from getting warm while they spend a 1/2 hour getting snacks, their looto tickets and six pack. It ain't just lazy as the sun is too hot for their heads while I sit in my vehicle. Once we were waiting at the pump for it to clear and it was triple digits on the trike. The missus was feeling really warm and the pump was blocked by a good ol' boys pickup. He didn't have the gas holes in his filler and I went in and asked him to move so I could get to the pump. He told me NO... I have every right to be here while I finish my sandwich. I mentioned it wouldn't go well for him if he didn't put his sandwich and conversation with the young gal behind the counter right then. He was highly angry but moved his truck. Missus scolded me for my uncivilized behavior but was glad we got away into the wind again in short order.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by behrmr View Post
Along the same lines is there some standard in height of the roofs / overhangs at gas stations? I've been to some where it's marked and others not.
Not likely, I think most newer stations are at least 14’, but I would have eyes one it if it looked low.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

It's bad enough when the idiots leave the pump to go shopping but what sets me on fire is when some ahole parks, goes in and gives the cashier a sawbuck. Then after the pump is turned on pumps their $9.50 worth of gas. So they then return for the change, a drink, some snaks, etc. When that happens my train air horns start going off.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #26
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuimonster View Post
Never hurts to carry a full or empty 5 gallon jug in the bed. Could save you butt.

Also I saw s&b makes a 62gallon fuel cell for my truck I’m looking at.
Who makes one for gasoline? I only ever see options for diesel. Especially if its a replacement tank.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
Who makes one for gasoline? I only ever see options for diesel. Especially if its a replacement tank.

I don't remember who but there is a gas option for an outboard tank. I do not remember who it was because after thinking about it I just didn't want that much flammable/explosive fuel sitting behind me. It takes a bit but it (they?) are out there. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:07 AM   #28
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't remember who but there is a gas option for an outboard tank. I do not remember who it was because after thinking about it I just didn't want that much flammable/explosive fuel sitting behind me. It takes a bit but it (they?) are out there. Good luck.
TransferFlow is one advertised as suitable for diesel/gasoline/kerosene:

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116206
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #29
Javi

The limiting factor between a gasoline tank and a diesel tank is simple.
The gasoline tank must pull the fuel from the top of the tank and a diesel tank can gravity feed.
At least that's the short version of a somewhat complicated process.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
You want to see a circus with cars and pickups parked at the pumps just go to any Buc-ee's they go in and spend an hour...
But most Bucee's have about a 100+ pumps with diesel & gas at everyone of them, usually good rv pumps separate from the circus pumps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #31
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
But most Bucee's have about a 100+ pumps with diesel & gas at everyone of them, usually good rv pumps separate from the circus pumps.
And 300 cars waiting in line. I tired it once and now I'll leave it to others without looking back.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #32
linux3

I must be living right.
I get around 10 MPG towing and my stupid new truck has a 24 gal. tank. No ones fault but mine.

Anyway, we tend to travel on US routes not interstates and US routes are also truck routes and many, many gas stations have "Truck" lanes.
I plan ahead, give myself so extra miles and almost never have a problem.
My DW thinks freq fuel stops are a feature.
Should you see a rig like mine and see a woman hoola hooping next to it...... That would be me.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #33
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Should you see a rig like mine and see a woman hoola hooping next to it...... That would be me.
Rob, Your name makes it sound like you are a fella and not a hoola hooping woman! Well... these days I guess you can be what you like!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #34
LERD

Quote:
The limiting factor between a gasoline tank and a diesel tank is simple.
The gasoline tank must pull the fuel from the top of the tank and a diesel tank can gravity feed.
At least that's the short version of a somewhat complicated process.

My understanding is they also need a separate fuel pump, vapor return and must be a closed system. Diesel would be easier for sure. But my DW despises every aspect of a diesel. The fuel and exhaust smell, the clattering, the fear of an engine failure, you name it. She started reading up on some of it. So, I'll order a F350 SRW with the highest payload, the 7.3l engine and the 4:30 gear ratio. We never plan on any 5th wheel longer than 35' or heavier than 16k lbs. And quite honestly I'd bet fully loaded for us will be a touch over 14k lbs. We'll have more than enough truck for our purposes.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #35
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
My understanding is they also need a separate fuel pump, vapor return and must be a closed system. Diesel would be easier for sure. But my DW despises every aspect of a diesel. The fuel and exhaust smell, the clattering, the fear of an engine failure, you name it. She started reading up on some of it. So, I'll order a F350 SRW with the highest payload, the 7.3l engine and the 4:30 gear ratio. We never plan on any 5th wheel longer than 35' or heavier than 16k lbs. And quite honestly I'd bet fully loaded for us will be a touch over 14k lbs. We'll have more than enough truck for our purposes.
Take note that the diesel of today is not noisy, there is no exhaust smell and they don't break any more than gas engines.
You really ought to take her for a ride in a newer diesel pickup before buying a gas truck. She'd be very surprised.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #36
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Rob, Your name makes it sound like you are a fella and not a hoola hooping woman! Well... these days I guess you can be what you like!
I don't understand your comment.
DW is a hoola hoop fanatic and I drive the truck. Do you have a problem with this?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #37
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I don't understand your comment.
DW is a hoola hoop fanatic and I drive the truck. Do you have a problem with this?
He's making a joke, not that good at it but he is trying ��
Old 08-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:
Take note that the diesel of today is not noisy, there is no exhaust smell and they don't break any more than gas engines.
You really ought to take her for a ride in a newer diesel pickup before buying a gas truck. She'd be very surprised.
I agree with Javi!
Unless you saw the badging on the fenders I'd bet money that she, nor you, could tell the difference if standing between a newer diesel & a gasser.
As for towing there's NO comparison between the two, the diesels are made to be workhorses & will do so without breaking a sweat.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:25 PM   #39
John&Genny

Best thing I bought for my Duramax was a 50 gallon Titan fuel tank that replaced the measly 17 gallon OEM tank. Now when I'm out on the road, when it gets down to 1/4 of a tank, I start looking and usually have plenty of time to find a station, or arrive at a destination where I can fill up after I've unhooked the rig.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:15 AM   #40
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I agree with Javi!
Unless you saw the badging on the fenders I'd bet money that she, nor you, could tell the difference if standing between a newer diesel & a gasser.
As for towing there's NO comparison between the two, the diesels are made to be workhorses & will do so without breaking a sweat.
I've tried to she if she could pick out a diesel by the sound in a campground earlier this year. A new(er) Duramax went by slowly pulling a rig. Nice and quite to me. Because I'm a Ford guy, she knows the name Powerstroke, not Duramax. Didn't matter, she nailed it right off. I can tell you that when my kids were younger, they couldn't mutter anything under their breath without her hearing them. Lol. But she has also said we need to test drive a diesel before we buy anything. See what it sounds like in the cab. We have predetermined size limits on what we want to live by in our RV. So either gasoline or diesel, I know we'll be fine. Especially since this will be OUR adventures, her comfort and piece mind is far more important to me than anything else.

Tags
gas