Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
With all this debate there is one thing to consider. ALL weights and claims by manufacturers MUST first clear and be approved by the DOT and prove these new weight claims. No matter what “marketing” guys might say, the DOT has the final word. As far as towing with a 2500, many people make the mistake of buying the TV before they buy the 5er (me!). Many folks cannot or do not want to take the financial hit to do an upgrade to a new TV. People make the assumption that the 2500 was bought new to tow the 5er, when in many cases they already owned the 2500 then decided to get a 5er. My tv was a certified used diesel to start with (2017). When I bought my 5er the dealer would not release it to me until I had some modifications to my vehicle as I was overweight from the git go. Most dealers wont do this. They just want to sell you an RV. They sent my TV for DOT certified modifications, which consisted of a new spring pack. The certified shop affixed a NEW yellow certification sticker with my new GVWR, and GRAWR. I had also increased the tires to the next load range up. According to the DOT, I am now towing underweight by about 450 pounds fully loaded with full fuel, and all my “stuff” in the 5er with 15 gal of water in the fresh tank and 12 gal in hot water heater, according to the CAT scales. The mods cost me about $2,500. Thousands cheaper than a new TV and I am safe and legal in all 50 states. Again, the DOT governs and sets the specs for all certified vehicle aftermarket modifications. NOT the weight police on this forum, which most have no experience or knowledge about the subject. I also have air bags that really soften the ride and level my rig. They don’t increase any weight ratings, though in reality, can carry a lot of the weight. I like the airbags over shocks because they are far more adjustable. Can 2500 legally and safely carry a heavy fiver? Yes, with the right CERTIFIED modifications. How do brand new TV’s get new ratings? They modify their vehicles! The same can be done with used TV’s. My dimes worth.

Not sure what you reference above. Adding "spring packs"? Adding air bags? Yes, we do. Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? I'll just buy the silk purse.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote