Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
Traindude

Looking for a new truck

Just wanted to get some opinions on getting a new truck. So far this what I am thinking. 1ton diesel srw with an 8 ft bed. With that being said any features that you all like or dislike. Not trying to start a debate on trucks Ford vs Chevy, or diesel vs gas. Just ideas on what out there, help hints that sorta thing
Thanx
Old 03-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traindude View Post
Just wanted to get some opinions on getting a new truck. So far this what I am thinking. 1ton diesel srw with an 8 ft bed. With that being said any features that you all like or dislike. Not trying to start a debate on trucks Ford vs Chevy, or diesel vs gas. Just ideas on what out there, help hints that sorta thing
Thanx
I really like the ram factory air suspension and I’ve grown to love the active cruise control and lane sense.. I can set the cruise control and it will keep my preset distance from the car in front of me..the lane sense is really nice.. it amazes me that if you take your hand off the wheel and drift over it will steer itself back to center( I’m not advocating doing this.. I just tried it once) Get the factory puck system and the 50 gallon tank if it’s an option
Old 03-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would first ask what you intend to tow with it now and in the future? A diesel SRW 1 ton won't have a lot of payload so there is that consideration.

My favorite features of them all are the heater and airconditioner!! After that it's just icing on the cake. I do like electric windows. I always get the electric sliding rear window but never use it unless trying to talk to DW for some reason behind the truck. Heated mirrors and back glass. I like front buckets with a nice big console in the middle. Leather interior but that's because I always carry puppy around (keep her seat covered). Storage under the back seat and in the back floor (although I have no idea what's under that floor at the moment).

I am not a fan of all the electronic "safety" gizmos they keep putting on the vehicles - I can drive myself and do NOT like some computer program trying to pull the wheel out of my hands. I do like the front/rear park sense alarms/cameras. Those really help in tight parking spots or when backing out and someone decides they need to walk behind you. If you are going to be towing the largest fuel tank you can get.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
travelin texans

I'd say get whichever you like/want, whichever one your a## fits better sitting in with whatever options you like/want, all of the big 3 are good reliable trucks nowadays. I have a couple that I'd recommend & 1 I won't, but not gonna do it.
Don't get less than the 1 ton you mentioned & if towing quite a bit go diesel, you'll never find a gasser that will even come close to the towing ability of a diesel regardless of gear ratios or engines. For now diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline. The added feature of the exhaust brake alone on the diesel makes it worth it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would first ask what you intend to tow with it now and in the future? A diesel SRW 1 ton won't have a lot of payload so there is that consideration.

My favorite features of them all are the heater and airconditioner!! After that it's just icing on the cake. I do like electric windows. I always get the electric sliding rear window but never use it unless trying to talk to DW for some reason behind the truck. Heated mirrors and back glass. I like front buckets with a nice big console in the middle. Leather interior but that's because I always carry puppy around (keep her seat covered). Storage under the back seat and in the back floor (although I have no idea what's under that floor at the moment).

I am not a fan of all the electronic "safety" gizmos they keep putting on the vehicles - I can drive myself and do NOT like some computer program trying to pull the wheel out of my hands. I do like the front/rear park sense alarms/cameras. Those really help in tight parking spots or when backing out and someone decides they need to walk behind you. If you are going to be towing the largest fuel tank you can get.
I did not like the lane sense at first..it was unnerving feeling the wheel move on its own.. I think you suggested I set the sensitivity to the lowest and that helped a lot... I keep it on now and it gives me a little reminder if I’m straying to close to the lines...I stay focused when I’m driving but it does seem to help
Old 03-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
notanlines

"I am not a fan of all the electronic "safety" gizmos they keep putting on the vehicles - I can drive myself and do NOT like some computer program trying to pull the wheel out of my hands."
I'm with Danny on this one. I do NOT want the truck to drive itself. With cruise and this lane change crap you can just slide into the back seat and scratch the dogs belly? Where does it end? Can you not drive for Pete's sake? People can't keep the truck at an even speed, they can't keep the truck in the correct lane, they can't stop before they hit the car in front of them and for God's sake the truck has to back the fiver into the lake itself when you get there. (It won't know it's a lake)
When you feel the need for all this I dearly hope you and your rig are miles from me. Is this a little harsh? Give it some thought. I could be driving 32K of rig laying in the bedroom from my iPhone. With a cold beer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I did not like the lane sense at first..it was unnerving feeling the wheel move on its own.. I think you suggested I set the sensitivity to the lowest and that helped a lot... I keep it on now and it gives me a little reminder if I’m straying to close to the lines...I stay focused when I’m driving but it does seem to help

Yes, if it has the "intervention" types of features I set them all to the least sensitivity possible.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"I am not a fan of all the electronic "safety" gizmos they keep putting on the vehicles - I can drive myself and do NOT like some computer program trying to pull the wheel out of my hands."
I'm with Danny on this one. I do NOT want the truck to drive itself. With cruise and this lane change crap you can just slide into the back seat and scratch the dogs belly? Where does it end? Can you not drive for Pete's sake? People can't keep the truck at an even speed, they can't keep the truck in the correct lane, they can't stop before they hit the car in front of them and for God's sake the truck has to back the fiver into the lake itself when you get there. (It won't know it's a lake)
When you feel the need for all this I dearly hope you and your rig are miles from me. Is this a little harsh? Give it some thought. I could be driving 32K of rig laying in the bedroom from my iPhone. With a cold beer.
Easy fellas! Lol I assure you I’m a Safe driver...do you know how many vehicles I saw on the way back from Florida drifting over the lines? I drive myself... I am hyper focused. I rarely talk when I drive I listen to the radio and my wife reads... I didn’t look for a truck with all the extras in it but it’s there so I’ve used it.... there was a time when people would say “I don’t need any new fangled gps to tell me how to get from point a to b” .. “ I can use my map book”.( I do miss map books) ... I think the active cruise works probably better then a persons reactions.. I am fully aware of what is going on around me... I think it’s technology that has its place and I don’t use it in a lot of traffic. It lets me stretch my feet for a moment .. and the lane sense is just a warning IF you drift over by accident.

And airplanes use autopilot most of the time but the pilot still knows how to fly the plane.. I have autopilot on my boats and I only use it to be more efficient... when you steer a boat from point a to b and look back at the wake you will see it’s not exactly straight...with autopilot it’s a straight path and saves fuel..I have never used cruise on any of my vehicles for any amount of time but this active cruise is pretty cool.. my wife has had it on her little infinity for years and we never used it once... I can assure you I am safe and would be so if I was ever around your rig
Old 03-08-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Ford's "lane keeping program" centers my DW's Edge "in the middle of the lane".. I prefer to be closer to traffic going the same direction and further from traffic I meet "head-on", so I prefer to travel in the lane, but closer to the right edge of the lane. That puts "maximum distance" between me and a "head-on collision".... Her Edge doesn't like me to do that and steers back to the center of the lane. On long trips, it can be a hassle and I get tired of fighting to move that 1' to the right and finally just turn the damn thing off. Then, I can drive anywhere "inside the white lines" and her car is happy....

On Fords, if you take your hands off the wheel or don't steer for about 10 seconds, the car will "DING" once and notify you to put your hands back on the wheel. If you don't make a steering adjustment in the next 10 seconds, the car will "DING" twice and in 5 seconds, it will deactivate the cruise and start slowing down. So, there's no such thing as climbing in the back to rub the dog's belly...

As for trusting the electronics ??? NOPE, ain't gonna happen....

There was a study done recently (last year I believe) that found the current "self driving technology" makes about 8 mistakes per mile travelled. That's more than my Grandma made when she forgot her glasses, wasn't supposed to be driving (because they took her license for being "too old") and decided to go to McComb to shop. She was only 96 at the time, but still drove better than DW's Edge.... Trust it? I trust Grandma more..... And I wouldn't have ridden to McComb with her on a bet.....

The active cruise control

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ford's "lane keeping program" centers my DW's Edge "in the middle of the lane".. I prefer to be closer to traffic going the same direction and further from traffic I meet "head-on", so I prefer to travel in the lane, but closer to the right edge of the lane. That puts "maximum distance" between me and a "head-on collision".... Her Edge doesn't like me to do that and steers back to the center of the lane. On long trips, it can be a hassle and I get tired of fighting to move that 1' to the right and finally just turn the damn thing off. Then, I can drive anywhere "inside the white lines" and her car is happy....

On Fords, if you take your hands off the wheel or don't steer for about 10 seconds, the car will "DING" once and notify you to put your hands back on the wheel. If you don't make a steering adjustment in the next 10 seconds, the car will "DING" twice and in 5 seconds, it will deactivate the cruise and start slowing down. So, there's no such thing as climbing in the back to rub the dog's belly...

As for trusting the electronics ??? NOPE, ain't gonna happen....

There was a study done recently (last year I believe) that found the current "self driving technology" makes about 8 mistakes per mile travelled. That's more than my Grandma made when she forgot her glasses, wasn't supposed to be driving (because they took her license for being "too old") and decided to go to McComb to shop. She was only 96 at the time, but still drove better than DW's Edge.... Trust it? I trust Grandma more..... And I wouldn't have ridden to McComb with her on a bet.....

The active cruise control
Ok then... I will rethink this.. can we all agree that I will not use my active cruise control anymore? .. I want to be able to drive through sopchoppy,the upper peninsula and Tennessee without you guys pulling over whenever you see my rig coming through...
Old 03-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #11
Javi

That stuff sounds worse than the Bullwinkle mirrors, I'll pass. Been driving myself since '63 and see no reason to stop now.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:31 PM   #12
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd say get whichever you like/want, whichever one your a## fits better sitting in with whatever options you like/want, all of the big 3 are good reliable trucks nowadays. I have a couple that I'd recommend & 1 I won't, but not gonna do it.
Don't get less than the 1 ton you mentioned & if towing quite a bit go diesel, you'll never find a gasser that will even come close to the towing ability of a diesel regardless of gear ratios or engines. For now diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline. The added feature of the exhaust brake alone on the diesel makes it worth it.

I agree with this.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:05 AM   #13
notanlines

Jasin, hopefully you realize we're just having a little fun, not pointed at you personally. It is the whole idea of drivers being able to actually stay on the road, fast asleep, or literally laying in the back seat, at 65 MPH.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:15 AM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Jasin, hopefully you realize we're just having a little fun, not pointed at you personally. It is the whole idea of drivers being able to actually stay on the road, fast asleep, or literally laying in the back seat, at 65 MPH.
It’s all good...I’m not offended ... I actually listen to the members on here that have MUCH more experience in all aspects of life.
Some things seem reasonable to me until enough people tell me otherwise.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:47 AM   #15
spicercars

Quote:

What ever happened to a truck that you could drive? Not a truck that tells you how to drive. LOL
Old 03-09-2021, 04:59 AM   #16
Northofu1

I like the thought of sitting in the back seat scratching the dogs belly, and also having a beer watching TV, IF there's something good on TV.
No sense being dragged kicking and screaming. You must assimilate! Resistance is futile.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:48 AM   #17
jasin1

When I finally feel like I’ve been accepted by the natives ,I make a breach of etiquette and find myself being chased down the beach with spears ..

I will say I haven’t been using all my fancy cameras to back the fiver in to spots...I find it easier to just look in my mirrors while the wife is on the speaker phone
Old 03-09-2021, 05:55 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
When I finally feel like I’ve been accepted by the natives ,I make a breach of etiquette and find myself being chased down the beach with spears ..

I will say I haven’t been using all my fancy cameras to back the fiver in to spots...I find it easier to just look in my mirrors while the wife is on the speaker phone
It must be nice to have a DW tht knows left from right, I wouldn't know myself.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That stuff sounds worse than the Bullwinkle mirrors, I'll pass. Been driving myself since '63 and see no reason to stop now.
Well still love my Bullwinkle mirrors, as they will tuck in when parked. I like convenience features like power windows and power door locks. The Park Sense is handy when getting into a tight spot and rear camera, otherwise I just use the mirrors. keyless entry is nice also, just touch the door handle to unlock the door(s). Heated and cooled seats are nice also.

I will say had a small issue with the keyless entry the other day! Stopped at the grocery store for a couple items, I was staying in the truck with the dog, DW got out and by habit hit the door lock button. I saw a Espresso stand and thought i would get a both a drink. I hit the door unlock button and NOTHING, I pressed a couple times, dang is this gone bad. Oh well I will just open the door, OMG the alarm went off, now we have our air Horn hooked to the regular horn so quite loud! I dig the key fob out of my pocket and hit the alarm button, NOTHING! I try unlock and lock NOTHING. I get out shut the door and hit lock then unlock, FINALLY the alarm quits. It seems because my fob was inside the truck when DW locked with hers outside, the system assumed the truck was being broken into.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It must be nice to have a DW tht knows left from right, I wouldn't know myself.
We are a work in progress as far as directions...I say to her just tell me if you want the back of the trailer to go towards the passenger side or drivers side and that seems to work for us..lol