Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #61
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadave View Post
So find something that is a couple thousand less pounds sounds like the way to go?

I don't want to quite invest in a new truck until a year or so of camping. The kids are 7 and 3, both girls, and we've rented a couple times but wanted to be able to head down to the beach on weekends and out to the desert or lakes as well.

Thanks guys, David
If you're talking "camping" a Pop-up tent trailer might be just the ticket for you. Most will sleep six if you use the table bed.
I've got quite a few friends that use them. What would it hurt to take a look?

For real "campgrounds" you also need to consider the trailer's length.
We have two travel trailers. we have a 26' for long trips, staying in RV parks. There are some state and local campgrounds we have been denied access to. That's why we kept our little 15' single axle camp trailer.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #62
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
So find something that is a couple thousand less pounds sounds like the way to go?

I don't want to quite invest in a new truck until a year or so of camping. The kids are 7 and 3, both girls, and we've rented a couple times but wanted to be able to head down to the beach on weekends and out to the desert or lakes as well.

Thanks guys, David

Dave just shooting from the hip here not knowing zip about your future plans or finances.

The girls are growing so their "stuff", and they, will continue to grow. A larger trailer is more than a handful for the Aviator....as was mentioned, why not a pop up of some kind? If you think you might want/buy a capable truck in the future but want to camp now the number one thing is to buy to fit the tow vehicle.

One of my first "RVs" (after my slide ins) was a pop up. I couldn't begin to tell you the memories and fun we had in that thing. Not as many conveniences but with a young family, IMO, a wonderful way to get off the ground, out of the rain and stay warm. Give that a thought and run any ideas/concerns by the forum - every single person here wants you to have a fun, happy and safe time together.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #63
Chinadave

Yep- a popup would be pretty cool - and you're right, the girls would have fun regardless of the size. I'll do some more research and then post here with what i come up with. Really appreciate it. I remember having a great time with my grandparents and then parents as a kid from tent camping in the mountains to the 5th wheel my grandpa got. Lots of fun and i wanted to do it before the kids got much older.

Thanks!

David
Chinadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #64
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Yep- a popup would be pretty cool - and you're right, the girls would have fun regardless of the size. I'll do some more research and then post here with what i come up with. Really appreciate it. I remember having a great time with my grandparents and then parents as a kid from tent camping in the mountains to the 5th wheel my grandpa got. Lots of fun and i wanted to do it before the kids got much older.

Thanks!

David
Yes, there's a huge difference between Rving and camping.
We do both.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #65
travelin texans

I think we had the usual progression of camping to rving. Started sleeping the bed of a truck, moved up to a tent, kids older got a bigger tent, a giant leap forward to a popup thinking this is the life, saved a few bucks to buy a small used TT from my in laws that felt like the Taj Mahal, had to get out of rving as life got in the way, kids gone bought a VERY small 5th wheel, then a 35 footer, retired & bought a 40' full-time 5th wheel. The one the the kiddos talk about/remember the most is always the popup.
All that to say...........get a popup, much better than a tent + that's all I'd try towing with the Aviator, the kids will have a ball, then when you're able get a suitable truck & bigger rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #66
Chinadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I think we had the usual progression of camping to rving. Started sleeping the bed of a truck, moved up to a tent, kids older got a bigger tent, a giant leap forward to a popup thinking this is the life, saved a few bucks to buy a small used TT from my in laws that felt like the Taj Mahal, had to get out of rving as life got in the way, kids gone bought a VERY small 5th wheel, then a 35 footer, retired & bought a 40' full-time 5th wheel. The one the the kiddos talk about/remember the most is always the popup.
All that to say...........get a popup, much better than a tent + that's all I'd try towing with the Aviator, the kids will have a ball, then when you're able get a suitable truck & bigger rv.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. My 7 year old has been shopping with me all night on the computer and loves the popup 10x more then the one we first looked at.
Chinadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #67
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
A family member has a Keystone Summerland bunkhouse trailer. Don't know model but I do know it is 30' and about 7800 lbs dry. Last weekend they went truck shopping and while at the dealership called me to ask my opinion on a 2013 F150 6 cyl. ecoboost. Personally I thought the truck was not right for them but the salesman reassured them it was. Later I watched YouTube videos of people towing 9000 lb trailers. This is a truck that will take some long hauls. It is the payload that they don't understand. What are others opinions
I have a 2014 ecoboost and I think that 7800 dry is way too much trailer for the truck.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #68
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I have a 2014 ecoboost and I think that 7800 dry is way too much trailer for the truck.
It's more than horsepower and torque.
My son has a F150 with the bigger 3.5 engine. it's got lots of umph!
But... it just ate the pinion bearing and the shavings ruined the ring gear.
What is it they say about the weak link?