Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
rob_ps

$40k Budget, buy new gas or used diesel?

I'm ready to pick up a new TV and with a budget of $40k, I have a choice of going new, 2020 Ram Tradesman Crew 2500 6.4, dealer selling at 39k, or going used. The used trucks I've been seeing at that price range are about 60k miles for a 6.7 CTD, about 5 years old.

My TT is currently at 8200lb loaded, and I'm not sure if I plan on upgrading in the future just yet, but if I do, it won't be much more than that, so I think.

Thoughts?
rob_ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
tech740

If you are "in" to RVing, you will upgrade trailer before the next truck after this. I would take the 40K and look for a 3500 diesel. It will ride the same and hold the resale better. It will save you a truck upgrade again in a couple years. Ask me how I know. LOL

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Additionally, the "depreciation on a used truck" is significantly less than on a new truck. As soon as you drive that "new Tradesman" off the lot, it will decrease in value between $5K and $10K. With the "well maintained 5 year old diesel truck, if it's "worth $40k when you buy it" it will be worth $40K a month from now (minus dealer markup at sale and dealer discount at trade)...

At 8,000 pounds, you're "in the zone" to consider a diesel, especially if you plan any extended highway towing or mountain towing.

I agree, skip the 2500. Payload will preclude any trailer size increase over what you current tow.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
MarkEHansen

My brother just purchased a trailer that is too much for his truck (thank you, RV dealer ) and so he's looking for a new truck too. I told him what he needs to tow his current trailer, but to consider where he might be in the next 5 years. If he thinks he might want to be in a larger trailer (or just about any 5th wheel), then he should skip the 3/4-ton diesel and go straight to the 1-ton.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
Canonman

When we decided to upgrade our '03 F150 we had an 8,000# WildWood TT. By chance, I found a Ram 6.7 CTD for $30k which was about the same as gassers we'd been looking at. We still have the Ram 6.7 CTD and were able to upgrade to our Cougar fifth wheel without having to upgrade the truck
Again, this was by chance and not design, but it turned out great for us.
I'd suggest a good used diesel over the gasser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7714.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	28876   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7785.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	28879  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
travelin texans

Today agree, 1 ton diesel, skip the 3/4 ton. You'll be glad you did.
You may find the 3500s a bit cheaper as most still have the mindset that they ride like a tank & pass right by a good clean 1 ton. If you were to take the 3500 badges off you, nor anyone else, would know the difference in ride & mileage between the 3500 & 2500 unless you checked the numbers on the drivers door post.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I am the odd man out here I figure. I'm a gas guy through and through, also always buy new and won't buy used. What do you get for that? "Intangible/personal" benefits that only I (and those like me) appreciate. But....

You need to know where you are in the RV "game". Do you know what you want now and for the future? Are you able to say definitively that x trailer is "it" and you'll never go larger? If the answer is no you need to get the 1 ton diesel and be prepared for those upgrades. Plus if it's your first trailer I would almost guarantee the answer is no.

The difference in ride and cost between a 3/4 and 1 ton is negligible but the options the 1 ton afford you are many. Used vs new? That's like asking if Ford or Chevy is better. Some swear by it, some don't. I don't like inheriting others undisclosed problems, mods etc. You CAN save money buying used if you 1)thoroughly research the selected vehicle and 2) thoroughly research what it's worth. It's easier to negotiate a new vehicle price because....they're new; no subjective dings, scratches, wear/tear that you and another person have to agree on. You will find that some things buying used if anything like my part of the country; 1) the "beauty" of that prospective used unit is in the eye of the beholder (you vs dealer). They generally think it's a pristine gem; you (I) usually figure it's a millstone ready to sink me in the pond. Coming to terms on a price can be an issue but never think you are going to come out on top. Pricing for your trade is the same but the viewpoints are reversed. At least there are pricing tools out there one can access on the internet that used to not be available. You had to depend on "the guy"; "that" guy (used car appraiser) that had the elusive NADA book with the magical, secret numbers that you had no way to check.

Dealing for new cars is different in that you can spec a vehicle from anywhere with standardized pricing and hold a dealer's feet to the fire. Trades operate the same as above.

Sorry for the long post but your situation warrants some serious thought. If unable, or unwilling to buy trucks on a whim due to changing circumstances, try to get the first one right. I know exactly what I'll take in a truck, in turn that dictates exactly what kind/size trailer I can have. If you think the trailer is undecided, and it will be the factor in deciding the truck vs the other way around, go big out of the gate. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Badbart56

Personally, I'd go with the used diesel. For that price range you should be able to find a Certified Used at a dealer. Those vehicles are gone over with a fine tooth comb and come with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty IIRC. You'll be happier with a diesel, pretty much everybody is. I've never met anyone who regretted getting one (I'm sure they're out there) Fuel cost is only about .30 difference now, mileage is better too. Our fleet of Chevy 2500's with the 6.2 got 11-12 mpg on the interstate. I get 15-17 with my dually with the same 3:73 gears. Lots more power. You don't realize it just driving around but once you hook to a load the difference is very clear! Don't try one if you really don't want to buy one. I couldn't go back to a gasser. And don't be afraid to get a dually either. Very solid towing platform, and lots more payload too.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I'm thinking my last 6.4 and this one (maybe just Ram) does much better than the GM 6.2. Both my 6.4s run/ran about 16 on the interstate - that's 3.73 (6 speed) and 4.10 (8 speed). My run across the country (TX/FL, FL/TX) has diesel averaging .40-.60 gal more (sometimes considerably more) as I mentally checked.

I've met some who swore by a diesel and some who had had them all their lives and strongly warned me not to get one for what I do....and they had switched back to gas engines due to the variables of the diesels...and most of these guys were farmers and RV towers. I know them and trust them. Don't need to get the diesel/gas thing going but there are those out there that don't love a diesel...lots of them.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
rhagfo

So we also moved up, we were already diesel. 2001 Ram 2500 running about 1,700# over GVWR. Towed fine, but with 3.55’s and a 5 speed manual it was working to get the 12,500# 5er to speed. We had added a small chip and RV275 injectors, but it worked.
Now 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73 towing capacity 25,000#+, towing is much more relaxing, and no issues getting to speed.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
rob_ps

Thank you all for the replies and great information.

So far we are leaning towards getting a used diesel. As someone mentioned at our price range, we are seeing certified used trucks which typically have the original mfg warranty with factory extended warranties offered.

I like the idea of not paying for the initial depreciation and having the option of selling the diesel for close to what I pay for in a few years (hopefully). Don't get me wrong, I've purchased many new cars and I'll miss the new car smell on this purchase, but this truck will probably sit on my lot 10 months a year.

BTW, reading the comments of not ruling out a 1 ton makes good sense, thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I am the odd man out here I figure. I'm a gas guy through and through, also always buy new and won't buy used. What do you get for that? "Intangible/personal" benefits that only I (and those like me) appreciate. But.....
1) I semi agree. Or I agree with the first part. I like gas trucks and I buy new to get just what I want.
2) Either truck should suffice.
3) A RANT! It drives me crazy with all the talk of "Buy a 1 Ton because you will go bigger". More TT needs bigger TV and a bigger TV means a bigger TT.
After lots of looking and study we bought our 2016 for CASH. We love going to RV shows and talking about how our TT is better than (whatever). Look around evaluate your needs and realistic needs, buy and be happy. Be happy.
My current truck was $56.5K, and I paid cash. My wife always pays cash for cars, Subaru Crosstrek (shudder). We have been in our house for 40 years and yes it's paid for.
At the drop of a hat, actually you don't have to drop the hat, we wonder off for weeks at a time.
We can do that because we don't owe anyone anything.
Stop looking at the next TV or TT and enjoy what you have.
At age 60 when my company shut down our division and laid everyone off I was happy because I was thinking of retiring and getting laid off was a better deal.
Think about what you want and need. Plan for the future.
Enjoy life.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_ps View Post
Thank you all for the replies and great information.

So far we are leaning towards getting a used diesel. As someone mentioned at our price range, we are seeing certified used trucks which typically have the original mfg warranty with factory extended warranties offered.

I like the idea of not paying for the initial depreciation and having the option of selling the diesel for close to what I pay for in a few years (hopefully). Don't get me wrong, I've purchased many new cars and I'll miss the new car smell on this purchase, but this truck will probably sit on my lot 10 months a year.

BTW, reading the comments of not ruling out a 1 ton makes good sense, thanks!

All the gurus on the site failed to ask... will this be your daily driver or will be used mostly for towing your camper? If it is a daily driver, of course a newer truck be it used or new will give you a bit of piece of mind. If you are just dragging a camper, well... in my case, I bought a 2006 F350 strippo model for $7K and put about $3K in it and it is now reliable and works well for pulling my camper. $40K is a lot of money for a tow beast but if you are going to use it as a daily driver get one that will also work for towing. I tend to buy clunkers and work on my property and don't put many miles on my truck. Look at that aspect with regard to your own situation.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
Frank G

Quote:
I'm ready to pick up a new TV and with a budget of $40k, I have a choice of going new, 2020 Ram Tradesman Crew 2500 6.4, dealer selling at 39k, or going used. The used trucks I've been seeing at that price range are about 60k miles for a 6.7 CTD, about 5 years old.

My TT is currently at 8200lb loaded, and I'm not sure if I plan on upgrading in the future just yet, but if I do, it won't be much more than that, so I think.

Thoughts?
In June of 17 we purchased a 11 month old 2016 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 CTD with 18K on the clock for $44,500.00 Certified with a 100,000 extended warrantee from FCA, from a Ram dealer. It was a enterprise rental and had the RR qtr replaced. Yep, still worth 40 with 70,000 miles on it.
Keep Looking
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
1) I semi agree. Or I agree with the first part. I like gas trucks and I buy new to get just what I want.
2) Either truck should suffice.
3) A RANT! It drives me crazy with all the talk of "Buy a 1 Ton because you will go bigger". More TT needs bigger TV and a bigger TV means a bigger TT.
After lots of looking and study we bought our 2016 for CASH. We love going to RV shows and talking about how our TT is better than (whatever). Look around evaluate your needs and realistic needs, buy and be happy. Be happy.
My current truck was $56.5K, and I paid cash. My wife always pays cash for cars, Subaru Crosstrek (shudder). We have been in our house for 40 years and yes it's paid for.
At the drop of a hat, actually you don't have to drop the hat, we wonder off for weeks at a time.
We can do that because we don't owe anyone anything.
Stop looking at the next TV or TT and enjoy what you have.
At age 60 when my company shut down our division and laid everyone off I was happy because I was thinking of retiring and getting laid off was a better deal.
Think about what you want and need. Plan for the future.
Enjoy life.

Referencing the highlighted comment above I would just point out that I said:

"You need to know where you are in the RV "game". Do you know what you want now and for the future? Are you able to say definitively that x trailer is "it" and you'll never go larger? If the answer is no you need to get the 1 ton diesel and be prepared for those upgrades. Plus if it's your first trailer I would almost guarantee the answer is no."

My comment literally says what your last sentence says. I based the 1 ton comment on the fact that IF they thought they were going to go bigger there is NO sense, zero, of going thru what I and so many others have; 1/2 ton, different 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton then 1 ton. Lots of money down the drain. For me I don't care because I like trucks. For someone trying to plan and avoid those mistakes that cost tens upon tens of thousands of dollars....try to get it right the first time.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #16
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Referencing the highlighted comment above I would just point out that I said:

"You need to know where you are in the RV "game". Do you know what you want now and for the future? Are you able to say definitively that x trailer is "it" and you'll never go larger? If the answer is no you need to get the 1 ton diesel and be prepared for those upgrades. Plus if it's your first trailer I would almost guarantee the answer is no."

My comment literally says what your last sentence says. I based the 1 ton comment on the fact that IF they thought they were going to go bigger there is NO sense, zero, of going thru what I and so many others have; 1/2 ton, different 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton then 1 ton. Lots of money down the drain. For me I don't care because I like trucks. For someone trying to plan and avoid those mistakes that cost tens upon tens of thousands of dollars....try to get it right the first time.
Correct, Danny, depends on your situation. If you can definitely say you won't go bigger, then you are set. Few years ago with our old Passport we figured we might go bigger. And we did. Now, 3 years of navigating (and maintaining) my current rig through gas stations and around the state parks around here confirms to me I am not interested in anything longer than my current unit. Just ain't interested in moving anything longer or bigger around or taking care of it. We may go small 5th wheel in a few years, but I have already looked and anything I size wise I may want my 3/4 gasser can handle. So I was comfortable going 3/4 ton. Others may not feel that way.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #17
rob_ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
All the gurus on the site failed to ask... will this be your daily driver or will be used mostly for towing your camper? If it is a daily driver, of course a newer truck be it used or new will give you a bit of piece of mind. If you are just dragging a camper, well... in my case, I bought a 2006 F350 strippo model for $7K and put about $3K in it and it is now reliable and works well for pulling my camper. $40K is a lot of money for a tow beast but if you are going to use it as a daily driver get one that will also work for towing. I tend to buy clunkers and work on my property and don't put many miles on my truck. Look at that aspect with regard to your own situation.
Not a daily driver but will be taking it mostly weekends from our home in Long Beach, CA to our other home in Palm Springs, CA ,110 miles apart. Also we camp (without TT) and backpack often so it's nice to take a truck for our gear.

As far as upgrading, we've been contemplating on moving up to a larger TT. Who knows what the next RV show will be and what catches our eye then, so I'd like to keep the options open on something that'll pull a bigger TT if the need arises.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

If occasional RV puller with some commuting, perhaps a gas 1 ton might work best; the gassers are a tad less expensive to maintain and you may not need tons of torque although most modern gassers are adequate. I would look to the future and get a one ton for sure. If you do see a great deal on a 3/4 ton, be sure to check the payload sticker carefully as many, especially the fancier ones don't have much.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Not a daily driver but will be taking it mostly weekends from our home in Long Beach, CA to our other home in Palm Springs, CA ,110 miles apart. Also we camp (without TT) and backpack often so it's nice to take a truck for our gear.

As far as upgrading, we've been contemplating on moving up to a larger TT. Who knows what the next RV show will be and what catches our eye then, so I'd like to keep the options open on something that'll pull a bigger TT if the need arises.
We bought a used 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW CTD, Aisin to tow our about 13,000# 5er. It has enough bells and whistles to make daily driving very enjoyable and comfortable.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
We bought a used 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW CTD, Aisin to tow our about 13,000# 5er. It has enough bells and whistles to make daily driving very enjoyable and comfortable.

I was looking at a sales flyer from a local RAM store and the Tradesman one tons (SRW/gas) were about $50K or a tad less and the Laramie one tons were over $70K. What would you miss out on with a Tradesman vs the Laramie? That was quite a price delta!

Tags
gas