Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
Thanks sourdough. I’m pretty much set on the 1 ton now even though I really have no idea what camper I will get but it gives me more options. Any idea about the claims of short commutes with diesel? Like i said most of the time I’ll just be going back and forth to work. Maybe one trip a year to Colorado. I’m leaning towards gas just to avoid any emission stuff but right now I’ve not purchased anything so I’m open to a lot of options.

I have no clue if Forest River campers are even any good but guess that’s a completely different discussion.

By the way the rear end in the new Chevy gassers are 3.73.

With where you're at in the process I would definitely be looking at the 1 tons. If Chevy only offers a 3.73 I would also be worrying about that with a 5th wheel. My last truck had the same engine as this one with a 3.73 (plus a 6 speed vs the new 8 speed) and the 4.10 makes a ton of difference in towing performance. I would not have put that 3.73 on a 5th wheel.

I don't own a diesel by choice, simply because I don't want to pay the 10k up front and don't, well didn't, need the torque, DEF and all the other associated "stuff". So far this truck has handled this trailer fine but I was thoroughly convinced when I left for FL I would be running down a diesel; I was pleasantly surprised.

If you stay in the weight range of the trailer you linked to the Chevy would probably be just fine. Don't know what kind of tranny is in the new HD trucks but I'm sure they have been upgraded from a few years back.

As far as Forest River products....do your research. All RVs have issues and FR has their share. After repeated issues little brother got rid of his. And that brings up another really good point; make a deal with a GOOD dealer, not just somebody that sells RVs. Check them out really well. They can make, or break, your RV experience as happened with my brother.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #22
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Very happy with my 1 ton diesel SRW Chevy. It is also my daily driver. DEF is a PITA butt (LOL) not a killer. I will not go back to gasser again, I like the power and feel.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #23
BigToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
You might want to really pick the trailer first.
All of this means nothing if you're not happy with the floor plan and options you want based on the type of camping you want to do.
Do you need 40' of trailer and a 1 ton truck to long haul it once a year? You might find that beast of a set up a pain to weekend camp.
Now, the 3/4 ton and 1 ton have the same drive train so the only difference is the payload. fuel economy should be negligible.

I picked my truck based on the 5th wheel I wanted to tow and the Max GVWR of 10000 lbs. When I found it I bought it.
Yeah I’m really trying to do two things at once and that’s my error. I’ve just started looking at campers more seriously now though. I thought knowing the vehicle capabilities would help me pick the camper. I’m going to be in the truck much more than the camper and that was another reason I was focusing on truck first. I know I won’t get a dully. I just have no desire. I also have no desire for a 40’ camper either. I’d be fine in the low 30’s max length.
BigToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #24
BigToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Very happy with my 1 ton diesel SRW Chevy. It is also my daily driver. DEF is a PITA butt (LOL) not a killer. I will not go back to gasser again, I like the power and feel.
Do you know of any issues with short commutes with the diesel? I was told to stay away with the 2-5 miles I only drive everyday. I have nothing against them just don’t want to get myself into trouble for something I didn’t really need to begin with.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

I like gassers pulling big loads, they look so cute in the passenger mirror when I'm passing them going up hills. Sorry Danny, couldn't help myself.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #26
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Do you know of any issues with short commutes with the diesel? I was told to stay away with the 2-5 miles I only drive everyday. I have nothing against them just don’t want to get myself into trouble for something I didn’t really need to begin with.
I haven't heard of any and do some short trips to store etc. I usually take the long way home or fiddle a little. To date in 3 years no issues for me. I take it out on the road for 2 to 300 miles a couple of times a month also. My commute is 20 miles so not a concern.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 07-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I like gassers pulling big loads, they look so cute in the passenger mirror when I'm passing them going up hills. Sorry Danny, couldn't help myself.
I'm not worrying about that. Chipped, cold air, cat back w/Thrush mufflers and 7000rpm and I can keep up with you.....
Old 07-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Thrush mufflers? Really, get with the program Danny it’s all about the Flow Masters!! Had them on my ‘86 F250 with that 460 on steroids.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Thrush mufflers? Really, get with the program Danny it’s all about the Flow Masters!! Had them on my ‘86 F250 with that 460 on steroids.
I wasn't going to say anything... I just Danny was having a flashback .
Old 07-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

At least he didn’t say “cherry bombs”

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #31
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"Hey guys, new here and was sent here by Notanlines from another forum
We won't hold that against you."
Just like Rodney Dangerfield, I get no respect!
...and that was in the very first response. Sorry Jim!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Flow Masters? Hey, them's bucks man....
Old 07-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #33
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Would love to see people's faces when those pulled into a campground at bedtime. LOL.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 07-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Would love to see people's faces when those pulled into a campground at bedtime. LOL.
When I had my ‘86 gasser, we yanked the Jayco in sig from Modesto,Ca to Devils Elbow Missouri to see my son.

460 with edelbrock performer intake, comp can, roller rockers, MSD ignition, headman headers with true dual exhaust 2 1/2”. We left the campground at about 6:30 and I really tried to idle out. The loudest was Kingman Az KOA, heading East. Had to hammer down going up the grade, it echoed for miles

Old 07-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Flow Masters? Hey, them's bucks man....
And well worth the money!!

Old 07-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #36
Badbart56

Quote:
At least he didn’t say “cherry bombs”
You beat me to that Chuck! Honestly, my old 7.3 may have been louder! I got Magnaflows on my Cadillac CTS V and they are much better sounding.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #37
travelin texans

For 13+ years had 2 different GMC diesels, an '05 no DEF & a '13 with DEF, as daily drivers with 300k+ miles between them, short trips, long trips & approximately 130k miles towing, never had a major issue on either. The '05 had the 5 speed Allison, the '13 had the 6 speed, both had 3.73 rearends, both got 9-13mpg towing 40' 16.5k 5th wheels & 15-17 unloaded.
Towed a tractor/brushog on a gooseneck, weighing less than my 5er, at work for an entire summer with a 1 ton Ford V10 that had decent power, til in the hills, but at the cost of fuel economy, 6-8mpg with a 26 gallon tank, I didn't pass up many gas stations, would never tow anything over about 10k lbs ever again with a gasser.
As mentioned the DEF was a PITA to fill with the port under the hood, but it could go 3-3.5k miles before needing a 2.5 gallon jug so not a big deal. Routine maintenance from my experience was very little more than a gasser as the oil change intervals were 10k miles or once year. Nowadays any maintenance regardless if diesel or gasser is going to be expensive, not much on the newer ones for us shade tree'rs without a diagnostic computer hanging on a limb.
If you plan on traveling in the mountains regularly get the 1 ton diesel Chevy (also a GM guy), drive it like you stole it & go enjoy the experience.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:30 AM   #38
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"Hey guys, new here and was sent here by Notanlines from another forum
We won't hold that against you."
Just like Rodney Dangerfield, I get no respect!

Why the heck send anyone to this site to ask about TV size? Is this some sort of initiation?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:16 AM   #39
BigToe

Quote:
I haven't heard of any and do some short trips to store etc. I usually take the long way home or fiddle a little. To date in 3 years no issues for me. I take it out on the road for 2 to 300 miles a couple of times a month also. My commute is 20 miles so not a concern.
Just checked on the specs of a 1 ton diesel and lost a hundred pounds on payload. I hate this process. It’s smoke and mirrors. Truck says it can pull an additional 5k lbs over the gasser but in actuality it’s does less than the gasser due to payload.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Just checked on the specs of a 1 ton diesel and lost a hundred pounds on payload. I hate this process. It’s smoke and mirrors. Truck says it can pull an additional 5k lbs over the gasser but in actuality it’s does less than the gasser due to payload.
My guess is the two truck's your comparing have different gear ratios. If a 100 lb payload difference is a deal breaker on a 1 ton truck than maybe you need to think about less trailer.

I don't think most people choose a diesel for payload. There are as many opinions/arguments over gas vs diesel as there is over Coke vs Pepsi. Personally I wouldn't consider a larger trailer with a gas powered tow vehicle if I was towing a lot of miles or in hilly areas. The gas proponents can talk all day about the newer engines tolerating higher rpms all they want but here's the elephant in the room, at what load?

If you want a fair comparison of an engine that's under a constant heavy torque load look at the marine industry. Once you start cranking up over 4k for long periods you will see engine rebuilds increase in frequency. Ask anyone that's run a class A or large class C gasser and not only will they complain about the terrible fuel mileage the transmissions give up first then the engines. Moder gassers have gotten better but still don't compare to a diesel drive train IMHO.

It's not uncommon to see a diesel-powered rig with 200k miles that's still going strong. Haven't seen a gasser do that yet. I've towed with both gas and diesel and to me the diesel is hands down the winner. I don't understand the "expense" argument or the "don't tow that far or that often" argument either. To my thinking, spending $60-$70K or more for a large fiver and "only use it a few weekends a year" is a collaso waste of money but that's just me.

Bottom line it's your money your choice. Doing your homework, weighting all your options is the smart move.