Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

That's not being cynical.... Like you, I'm of the generation that actually learned to drive a manual transmission and stuck my arm out the window to signal a turn. Today's trucks with a "back up knob" on the dash to "assist in backing a trailer???? What's wrong with turning around, looking out the back window and actually knowing how to "back up a trailer" ??? Some "new technology" is helpful, but much of it seems to be more "dumbing down" than "help for the driver"... Maybe it's aimed at increasing sales to people who don't know "squat" about towing???

My dad, way more years ago than I care to remember, told me that if I could keep the tractor between the rows (without tearing up the bean field) that he'd let me drive his pickup. Three speed, on the column, starter button on the floor under the accelerator, no key, just turn the ignition switch on, and... forget a heater, air conditioner, power anything, one tail light and, as I said, "stick your arm out the window to signal a turn while downshifting after double-clutching, into second gear while "in the turn" and accelerating out of the turn while upshifting to high gear again (all while rolling up the window to keep the rain out of the cab).....

Those days are long gone and now, radar tells us if anyone is in the left lane (so we don't even have to look at the side mirror any more) while the "adaptive cruise control" slows the truck while we're "texting our order" to the service department at the Ford dealership, or maybe it keeps us from "rear-ending the car in front of us" while we're trying to figure out the "in-dash instructions for the trailer back assist device .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:09 AM   #42
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

This is great. I read the article in Trailer Life and have to admit. It caused some truck envy in me. I'm a Chevy guy (and don't drag this down into the mud of a Chevy vs. Ford vs. Ram argument ) and looking to buy a new 3500 in the spring but dang, those numbers on the Ford, impressive! Thanks for bringing me back from coveting my neighbors Ford and realizing that I don't know how to use all of my current bells and whistles let alone multiple cameras! But really, these numbers are insane. At least no one would have to worry if they had enough truck any more.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:41 AM   #43
old timer

I have adaptive cruise in my 12 Taurus SHO and it's dangerous. I wish I could get rid of it. As for something to tell you how much weight is in the bed not sure if that would even make any difference to some people from what I have seen. I love my truck it handles my trailer just fine. Plenty of power however I would like more. (doesn't everybody) LOL As for gadgets wish they made the ones in the truck work better before they add new ones. Another thing is updates to Sync. Why does the motor have to be running just to install the software and why does it take so long?
As for adding weight capacity. The only thing they can do is make the differential bigger with larger axles. They do have them in the 450 550 truck size. However the drive line would have to change for the heavier loads. Not sure the transmission in the 250/350 are the same as the big brothers.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #44
larry337

A fully loaded Platinum Edition stickers for EIGHTY TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS! How bout they keep the adaptive cruise control and offer adaptive pricing instead, I'll tell em my budget and they can adapt accordingly!!!!! HAHAHAHA! [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #45
chuckster57
Site Team

And I just keep on keepin on in my mechanical turbo'd IDI. Biggest upgrade: removed the AM/FM cassette for a CD player.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #46
Timon

Yes, the Ford does have some nice toys but they are missing some basics such as no optional factory air springs to keep the ride level. I think I'm still going with the Ram 3500 mega cab but I do wish it had the longer 6' 9" SB of the Ford. I can also put cameras on the 5er for a lot less that the Ford factory camera system and it's one that I can leave on rather than the Fords turning off one you're going forward.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #47
mtofell

I've been casually shopping and am in a somewhat similar position to the OP. While the gadgets on the 2017 are nice, the price on the 2016 (especially as the year comes to a close) are nicer, IMO.

I'm currently in a 2014 Ram and am still in amazement with all the technology. I have to say with all of the bells and whistles a lot of the stuff is nice but not totally necessary. The features I find the most useful are the backup camera and rear sensors. I feel that is a real safety item and makes backing out of parking spots with a full size truck A LOT easier.

I well may just plug along with my current truck unless I get a wild hair and find myself bored, and in a dealership the week after Christmas trying to steal an "under powered" 2016
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #48
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's not being cynical.... Like you, I'm of the generation that actually learned to drive a manual transmission and stuck my arm out the window to signal a turn. Today's trucks with a "back up knob" on the dash to "assist in backing a trailer???? What's wrong with turning around, looking out the back window and actually knowing how to "back up a trailer" ??? Some "new technology" is helpful, but much of it seems to be more "dumbing down" than "help for the driver"... Maybe it's aimed at increasing sales to people who don't know "squat" about towing???
My dad, way more years ago than I care to remember, told me that if I could keep the tractor between the rows (without tearing up the bean field) that he'd let me drive his pickup. Three speed, on the column, starter button on the floor under the accelerator, no key, just turn the ignition switch on, and... forget a heater, air conditioner, power anything, one tail light and, as I said, "stick your arm out the window to signal a turn while downshifting after double-clutching, into second gear while "in the turn" and accelerating out of the turn while upshifting to high gear again (all while rolling up the window to keep the rain out of the cab).....
Those days are long gone and now, radar tells us if anyone is in the left lane (so we don't even have to look at the side mirror anymore) while the "adaptive cruise control" slows the truck while we're "texting our order" to the service department at the Ford dealership, or maybe it keeps us from "rear-ending the car in front of us" while we're trying to figure out the "in-dash instructions for the trailer back assist device .....
I too learned to drive a 3-speed stick at age 14, NO AC and then learned to drive a 3 on the tree. Never drove a tractor until I was an adult but I want one(small Kabota) now so bad to play around with on my 1-acre piece of land .
BUT after this summer's trips out to mid west and back twice towing the 5er. I have learned that my ole' 2003 7.3PSD is not that bad plus its paid for.
I spent the better part of over $2K getting it ready for these trips and it has proven to be well-spent money. ALL Amsoil fluids in everything that takes fluids. MY truck now is fully synthetic.
BUT I do still look at every new Ford truck that passes me by or as I pass the dealerships. And I am jealous at the folks who have been able to upgrade.. Just me ..
HAHAHA
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #49
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
I too learned to drive a 3-speed stick at age 14, NO AC and then learned to drive a 3 on the tree. Never drove a tractor until I was an adult but I want one(small Kabota) now so bad to play around with on my 1-acre piece of land .
BUT after this summer's trips out to mid west and back twice towing the 5er. I have learned that my ole' 2003 7.3PSD is not that bad plus its paid for.
I spent the better part of over $2K getting it ready for these trips and it has proven to be well-spent money. ALL Amsoil fluids in everything that takes fluids. MY truck now is fully synthetic.
BUT I do still look at every new Ford truck that passes me by or as I pass the dealerships. And I am jealous at the folks who have been able to upgrade.. Just me ..
HAHAHA
randy
I'm jealous yours is paid for!! I can't wait for that day to come for me, no truck pmt will be glorious

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #50
Lundy

I recently ordered a 2016, the tipping point for me was the cab sharing they are using now. I have driven an f150 for the past 15 years, I didn't want to sit in that same cab again. I had the chance to sit in a SD 2016 and then immediately go sit in the 150 and said "NO Way". I know they say the numbers are similar, but it sure didn't feel that way. Plus I just didn't like the front end of the 17, it looks like Ram and Chevy had a baby. FWIW.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #51
malabarbob

2016 or 2017

I checked with Ford dealer today. The 2017's are coming the end of November and they have no idea what rebates, if any. Right now, its $10,000 off on a 2016.
We just bought a 2016 Laredo but I really want the 4-camera system on the 2017 or on a 2016 Platinum. Dealer is shopping around to find a Platinum. I'm taking the $10,000 discount.
Towed with a 2016 F-150 Laredo with auto backup
Travel with our "Morkie" - Zoe
malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #52
CWSWine

Here is a yellow payload sticker off a 2017 Platinum Edition diesel crew cab.
Attached Images

2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #53
1jeep

is that a 350srw? if so I really don't see where they gained much, if anything.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #54
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabarbob View Post
I checked with Ford dealer today. The 2017's are coming the end of November and they have no idea what rebates, if any. Right now, its $10,000 off on a 2016.
We just bought a 2016 Laredo but I really want the 4-camera system on the 2017 or on a 2016 Platinum. Dealer is shopping around to find a Platinum. I'm taking the $10,000 discount.
I saw some of 17's at a dealer while driving by over the weekend. I also saw a 17 DRW yesterday driving down the road.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #55
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeep View Post
is that a 350srw? if so I really don't see where they gained much, if anything.
yep a SRW F350 -- but now it's like 20,000 towing capacity under the new standards. Now that salesman say Heck yes you can tow that 19,000 lbs 42 foot toyhauler with SRW F350. No Problem LOL
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:14 AM   #56
1jeep

im curious what the new 350drw are, mine is rated for just over 26k lbs towing.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #57
notanlines

Just wait until y'all see the goofy looking decals that Ford is putting on the hood of the diesels. It'll make you want to stick your finger down your throat.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 AM   #58
1jeep

yeah im good on the 2017, ill suffer with my 2016. I did just finally look at fords website and see the 350drw tow rating is now where the 450 used to be but the gvwr is still the same so on paper really no big gain.

I have more than enough truck and cant imagine towing a 5th wheel that is tipping the 20k mark.