Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
MarkEHansen

Moved up to a Diesel Dually, finally

When purchasing our current trailer (2019 Cougar half-ton 26RBSWE), I was aware I was close or a little over the GVWR of my tow vehicle, but figured I was in the ball park - and was in the "well, I don't tow with the holding tanks full anyway..." camp

On our first trip with that configuration, I became aware that it was a lot of work towing that trailer with that vehicle. That's when I came here and started listening to all the, well ... let's call it advice

We had just purchased that vehicle new less than a year earlier and to sell it, we were going to take a real bath, but the wife and I decided it was the right thing to do.

We spent a lot of time looking and settled on a new 2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali HD, crew cab, 4x4, Duramax turbo diesel, dual rear wheels.

We traded for the new truck on Saturday and took our trailer for it's first pull yesterday afternoon. What a difference!

Let's see:
  • Side-view mirrors which allow me to see back both traffic lanes
  • No more 'tail wagging the dog' at all: 0%
  • I can hardly feel the extra weight when braking
    Plus the exhaust brake really is helpful here
We really loved our previous vehicle and we're sorry to see it go, but we can't afford to keep both, so it had to go

To all those still wondering if upgrading to a 1-ton DRW vehicle is going to make a difference from your (really great) 1/2-ton vehicle ... here is one more vote to take the plunge!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
xrated

Good for you. It's pretty nice having a "bit" of extra payload capacity and a relaxed, fun drive, not having to worry about load limits and such. Notice my signature line....the part that is in BOLD print!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Good for you. It's pretty nice having a "bit" of extra payload capacity and a relaxed, fun drive, not having to worry about load limits and such. Notice my signature line....the part that is in BOLD print!
a"BIT" of extra capacity is an understatement! Mark has truly future proofed himself!

To the OP congratulations on the new TV, you will like it for a long time.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
travelin texans

Congratulations on the new truck! In my opinion you got the best!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Badbart56

Until you have pulled with a newer diesel dually you just don't know what you're missing.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Until you have pulled with a newer diesel dually you just don't know what you're missing.
This isn't intended to "deflate" the above statements, but rather to offer "inclusion to those who don't want or don't need a dually..... (as an example, the young family that's towing their 3400 pound "first trailer" with the family Escape with its 3500 pound tow rating)

To accommodate those who are concerned with having 6 wheels on the ground (or overly wide hips), don't forget the added statement:

Until you have pulled with a tow vehicle that really has adequate reserve capacity, you don't know what you're missing.....

Not everyone needs (or can justify) a DRW diesel, but we all "realistically" need (and should justify) a tow vehicle with enough reserve capacity that we can tow safely without concern for whether we have to leave things at home or empty the tanks before we leave......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This isn't intended to "deflate" the above statements, but rather to offer "inclusion to those who don't want or don't need a dually..... (as an example, the young family that's towing their 3400 pound "first trailer" with the family Escape with its 3500 pound tow rating)

To accommodate those who are concerned with having 6 wheels on the ground (or overly wide hips), don't forget the added statement:

Until you have pulled with a tow vehicle that really has adequate reserve capacity, you don't know what you're missing.....

Not everyone needs (or can justify) a DRW diesel, but we all "realistically" need (and should justify) a tow vehicle with enough reserve capacity that we can tow safely without concern for whether we have to leave things at home or empty the tanks before we leave......

I couldn't agree more John. A dually is nice in certain situations but not mandatory for a fun, safe towing experience. Anyone towing should have substantial reserve capacity in all of their weight categories but at that point the rest is just overkill - sort of like using a howitzer to shoot a rabbit.

I think there is also a perception that if someone hasn't bought a dually it's because they've never driven one so are therefore "clueless" about what they're missing. Those perceptions would be wrong in many cases. Unless mandated by towing requirements a dually comes with far more cons than pros for some folks and thus would make no sense. I like your "rephrase".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
xrated

Quote:

Well stated and fully explained.......I agree!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #9
Badbart56

It's all in our own perspective. To summarize, I would much rather have too much truck than too much trailer. That said, a man I met pulled his toy hauler with a Peterbilt single axle. He wanted rock solid stability and plenty of power, and price was no object. Overkill? Yes, but he was comfortable with it and that's what mattered to him. But we see almost weekly, someone wanting to use a marginal TV ( I know, I was one) and I was just stating that the difference is amazing. This in no way is meant to try to make anyone look or feel inadequate. It is, again, our individual perspective. And for the most part, the F350 crew cab dually in my signature is my daily driver. I'm comfortable driving it around town. It's maybe not as exhilarating as my CTS V, but....that's another story.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:

I agree with John, and Xrated reply to this.
I have been pulling/carrying our 32' 12,500# 5er with a 2001 Ram 2500 CDT with 3.55 gears and a 5 speed manual trans.
I gave it a bit of a power boost, with a small timing chip and RV275 injectors. It pulled well, but with the 3.55's, but depending on the document I was looking at The owners manual listed 16,000# GCVWR with the 3.55's, or 20,000# with 4.10's. I had upped the HP to about 300 from stock 235, it could pull hills at the speed limit, but it was working hard to do it.

Now with the new TV, I will be at about half of the rated max trailer weight!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Russ,

I'd suspect that you're gonna "luv" the way your new truck tows that trailer. It won't be "too much truck" and certainly not 'too much trailer". I think you'll have a grin from ear to ear every time you hear the hitch pin snap into place, locking the trailer to the truck....

Congratulations on your new truck. Now, when is the inaugural trip ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
MarkEHansen

I agree, John. We elected to go for the diesel dually (as apposed to a lesser, but still qualified truck) for two reasons: We can afford it and we are strongly considering a larger trailer in the future.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I agree, John. We elected to go for the diesel dually (as apposed to a lesser, but still qualified truck) for two reasons: We can afford it and we are strongly considering a larger trailer in the future.
When we built this house (specifically to retire), we were in the "we need to downsize and live within our retirement income"... So, I built our garage to accommodate a Ranger (F150 max) sized truck. Then, we realized we don't want to (can't) give up RVing, so along came a F250. Why the 3/4 ton? At the time 2013/2015 vehicles, the F350 was 3" taller and wouldn't fit in the garage. Additionally, only a short bed would fit length wise and only a SRW would fit through the garage door (width wise).... So, we were (are) faced with either RVing with a SRW 3/4 ton max (height and width are limitations) or parking the truck outside, not an option in this part of Michigan during the winter. For us, to have a DRW (which I would love to have) means rebuilding the current garage or building a new one (with 2 pole barns already, the DW has "strongly nixed" (read as "HELL NO") that idea.... Additionally, the pole barn the Cougar is stored in won't house a longer trailer, so not only would I need to build a new garage, I'd need to build a new pole barn for a bigger trailer..... Both are items that, at my age, I can't justify......

So, the above post, "for inclusion" probably applies to me as much as that young family with their first trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #14
hornet28

Quote:
.. So, we were (are) faced with either RVing with a SRW 3/4 ton max (height and width are limitations) or parking the truck outside, not an option in this part of Michigan during the winter.
Why do you feel the truck HAS to be inside? My trucks have sat outside without ill effects since back in the 60's. If you are a life long resident I know you are aware of the storms the coastline of the big lake get
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Why do you feel the truck HAS to be inside? My trucks have sat outside without ill effects since back in the 60's. If you are a life long resident I know you are aware of the storms the coastline of the big lake get
I know your comment was directed at John, but...., why would anyone ever want their vehicles to sit outside year round....for what? I've never, I'll repeat never, seen a vehicle that sits outside year round look as good as one that sits in a garage...never; I guess you could say it's impossible - and I parked my vehicles outside for years because I didn't have enough garage space for them. And when sitting outside, to keep it looking decent, what do you do? You wash and wax maybe every 2 weeks. Why - it's not required when the vehicle is covered? The list for having the vehicle inside is so long that it doesn't need to be posted. The reasons one has to keep them outside...well, there are about 2-3, but it's generally not because you want to - but it could be because it's OK for you - maybe not everyone else.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
Jerry S

I know why mine sits outside, so my 1969 Camaro can sit inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know your comment was directed at John, but...., why would anyone ever want their vehicles to sit outside year round....for what? I've never, I'll repeat never, seen a vehicle that sits outside year round look as good as one that sits in a garage...never; I guess you could say it's impossible - and I parked my vehicles outside for years because I didn't have enough garage space for them. And when sitting outside, to keep it looking decent, what do you do? You wash and wax maybe every 2 weeks. Why - it's not required when the vehicle is covered? The list for having the vehicle inside is so long that it doesn't need to be posted. The reasons one has to keep them outside...well, there are about 2-3, but it's generally not because you want to - but it could be because it's OK for you - maybe not everyone else.
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
It looks like Danny beat me in responding, but I'll add my two cents anyway. You see, I spent 6 years at KI Sawyer in Gwinn Michigan, had to park my vehicles, boat, camper and anything else that wouldn't fit in the living room outside. During the winter, every morning I'd get up at 4AM, spend two hours digging my truck, DW's car, the driveway out of the snow, and then inside to shower (dead damn tired from shoveling) to get ready to go to work. I didn't have a vehicle during that entire time without a shovel mark "somewhere". Between scraping windows, warming up trucks after jumpstarting them, plugging them in to keep the engine warm and running over the cord with the snow blower, I simply decided that when I build a house in this kind of climate, I won't be forced to park outside.

If you want to, more power to you, I'll simply say that you're more rugged than me. I'll wait for the snow to stop, use the snow blower or the 3 pt blower on the tractor to clear the driveway and then I'll walk into the garage, get in the truck (warm and no windows to scrape) and drive where I need to go. When I return, I don't need to worry about piles of snow on the roof, no need to worry about the bed being full, no need to worry about the wheelwells freezing and ripping a tire off the wheel when I try to turn. I just drive into the garage, the snow will melt and fall away from the truck and it'll be "ready to go" without scraping the next time I want to drive somewhere.

Parking inside is a "luxury" I've afforded for myself and I made the choice. While it might have limited my selection of vehicles, honestly, the pole barn length had already limited my selection of fifth wheels, so it's not a crisis by any means. Besides, we're already 71' long when towing the slingshot and 74' long when towing the boat, so even if I wanted a longer trailer and a DRW, I couldn't travel the way we want because of Michigan's 75' double trailer towing restrictions. And, that's 10' longer than Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin, so I couldn't get out of Michgian, even if the limit was 100'.

Works for us, I'm sure parking outside works for you. I'm happy for you, be happy for me.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #18
larry337

Quote:
It looks like Danny beat me in responding, but I'll add my two cents anyway. You see, I spent 6 years at KI Sawyer in Gwinn Michigan, had to park my vehicles, boat, camper and anything else that wouldn't fit in the living room outside. During the winter, every morning I'd get up at 4AM, spend two hours digging my truck, DW's car, the driveway out of the snow, and then inside to shower (dead damn tired from shoveling) to get ready to go to work. I didn't have a vehicle during that entire time without a shovel mark "somewhere". Between scraping windows, warming up trucks after jumpstarting them, plugging them in to keep the engine warm and running over the cord with the snow blower, I simply decided that when I build a house in this kind of climate, I won't be forced to park outside.

If you want to, more power to you, I'll simply say that you're more rugged than me. I'll wait for the snow to stop, use the snow blower or the 3 pt blower on the tractor to clear the driveway and then I'll walk into the garage, get in the truck (warm and no windows to scrape) and drive where I need to go. When I return, I don't need to worry about piles of snow on the roof, no need to worry about the bed being full, no need to worry about the wheelwells freezing and ripping a tire off the wheel when I try to turn. I just drive into the garage, the snow will melt and fall away from the truck and it'll be "ready to go" without scraping the next time I want to drive somewhere.

Parking inside is a "luxury" I've afforded for myself and I made the choice. While it might have limited my selection of vehicles, honestly, the pole barn length had already limited my selection of fifth wheels, so it's not a crisis by any means. Besides, we're already 71' long when towing the slingshot and 74' long when towing the boat, so even if I wanted a longer trailer and a DRW, I couldn't travel the way we want because of Michigan's 75' double trailer towing restrictions. And, that's 10' longer than Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin, so I couldn't get out of Michgian, even if the limit was 100'.

Works for us, I'm sure parking outside works for you. I'm happy for you, be happy for me.....
Having been born in Michigan, lived most of my life on the shores of Lake Erie, and countless snowmobile trips to the UP I have one question...WHY WOULD YOU RETIRE THERE LOL! WE'RE GONG SOUTH! just kidding No need to answer. It is certainly beautiful country and even more so in the winter. The older I get, and being a truck driver, the more I hate winter. When I was a younger man and I could play rather than work in the elements I used to love winter. Maybe if I had a change of profession or a break for a few years I'd appreciate it again.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
cookinwitdiesel

Congrats on the new truck - I quickly wished I had just gone that route vs my 2500HD but I should be fine until I do get a larger trailer in a few years so can get some value out of that depreciation I am going to eat.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #20
ChuckS

Congrats on new duramax. Change oil and filter as needed and grease the front end every oil change and I even grease mine before a tow trip.

Make sure to change the Allison spin on transmission filter once a year depending on tow use.

DO NOT let anyone talk you into a dealership transmission flush. Complete waste of money and Allison says don’t do it.

Transynd synthetic fluid for your transmission.

Truck will last several decades if maintained

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote