Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
evanhix

F-350 limp mode. Vacation in limbo.

So my family and I are off to a bad start on our annual vacation. We were towing through St George Utah when our 2017 F-350 super duty with 5000 miles shuttered and went into power reduction mode restricting us to about 20 mph uphill. Called local Ford dealer and they said it would be a week before they could look at it. With no other options besides limping 60 miles to the next town with a dealer, we decided to go to the dealer in St George anyway. At first they told us there was nothing they could do for days but the service writer softened up after hearing our situation(wife, father, son, and inlaws following us in a separate rental coach) and decided to try and squeeze us in. In the meantime we had to deal with a 40ft fifth wheel so we checked into an rv park across the street. All set to stay the night when the dealer calls and said that they worked a miracle and fixed it. We were so happy, ran over picked the truck up, rv park was nice enough to refund our money, we hooked up and back on the road. Got back on the 15 north and everything was good until the truck shuttered and went into limp mode again at the exact same location as the first time.

So here we are back at the Rv park with the truck at the dealer and absolutely no idea if we will be back on the road anytime soon.

I'm sure this pales in comparison to things others have experienced but it sure is an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. Oh and by the way it is my wife's birthday today.

Anyway, just looking for some words of encouragement while we are patiently waiting to find out if we will get to enjoy the rest of our vacation.

Thanks,
Evan
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Happy birthday to your wife

Hang in there, I'm sure the dealership will figure it out fairly quickly. It is under warranty so at least you shouldn't be out of pocket for that.

If you look on either "The Diesel Stop" or "Powerstroke nation" you'll probably find what is the most common reason and fix.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Alpine

Oh my, good grief!!! So very sorry for your truck issues, this even gives me a pit in my stomach. Did they say what the "codes" read! Hope you will be on the road sooner that later!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Hang in there! It'll get better. At least you're not alone. Happy birthday to your DW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sorry to hear of the problems and hope for the very quickest resolution. It is no fun to have everything turned upside down by a vehicle failure....and you took a new one!! I'm glad someone took the time to hear your situation and try to get you in; I've never understood a dealership that would not do that for a person in trouble. Hopefully they figure it out and get you fixed up and on the road....and by the way; Happy Birthday to your wife!! I'm sure things will look up tomorrow.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Hopefully you'll be back on the road tomorrow. Happy Birthday to your DW. Enjoy (yeah I know, easy for me to say, I'm not the one stranded) and make the best of the situation.

As for the vehicle, at least it's a warranty problem and won't cost the price of your vacation to get repaired.... With all the sensors and computers on today's trucks, if it goes into limp mode, it's usually not a "life threatening" failure, just an "information abnormality" Hopefully you'll be on the road in the morning....

Oh, and since you had two failures at the same spot on the highway, maybe a detour around that part of the highway ????

Enjoy your evening and try to smile......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
wowchad

9 times out of 10 it's exhaust sensors. Pisser is they only replace the 1 bad one and there are 4 total.
I now carry a cheap code reader, spare exhaust sensor & 13mm (-I think 13mm) so I can swap them out on our 6.7L
They did a recall on them, but only on emergency vehicles.
Sure sucks when you drop 60k + on a new truck! but they'll get you up & rolling soon I'm sure.
Please post back what the issue was.
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Exhaust sensors or turbo sensor. If it's the turbo sensor, the computer will fully open the turbo vains which basically shuts the turbo down and gives u no power/boost when climbing hills. That might explain what you're experiencing.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
Desert185

And this is one reason I drive an older truck.

A happy birthday to the DW and condolences on the issues.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowchad View Post
9 times out of 10 it's exhaust sensors. Pisser is they only replace the 1 bad one and there are 4 total.
I now carry a cheap code reader, spare exhaust sensor & 13mm (-I think 13mm) so I can swap them out on our 6.7L
They did a recall on them, but only on emergency vehicles.
Sure sucks when you drop 60k + on a new truck! but they'll get you up & rolling soon I'm sure.
Please post back what the issue was.
Ford has a computer re- flash that's been out for 2 or 3 years now. It's free and when its done the exhaust sensors will no longer put the truck in limp mode. Now it's just a check engine light and the motor runs normal. Plus they extended the warranty on the sensors so they replace them for free.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
theallde

Live in Hurricane, Utah - just outside St. George. Ken Graff Ford is a great dealer and never had any problems with them.

Check your private messages ..... Don
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #12
gbsb

We were in a small Town in South TX and headed home on Tuesday before Thanksgiving hoping to get home in about 4 hours. Pulled out of campground at 3:30 pm got 15 miles down the road and the truck shut down. Set there for a couple of hours trying to figure out what was wrong and it started up. Make a long story short we got back to the campground about midnight. I was at the Ford dealer before they opened. When the shop manager came out, a very nice lady ask what the problem was and I explained to her what had happen. I then told her I know it is Wednesday before Thanksgiving and there is people in front of me but I sure did need to be home that night. She patted me on the shoulder and said Honey don't worry we will get you going. The diesel tech came in and got right on the truck and told me it was a bad fuel pressure regulator valve. So $650.00 and 4 hours latter I was on my way. Long story but there are some great dealerships out there.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:00 AM   #13
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
We were in a small Town in South TX and headed home on Tuesday before Thanksgiving hoping to get home in about 4 hours. Pulled out of campground at 3:30 pm got 15 miles down the road and the truck shut down. Set there for a couple of hours trying to figure out what was wrong and it started up. Make a long story short we got back to the campground about midnight. I was at the Ford dealer before they opened. When the shop manager came out, a very nice lady ask what the problem was and I explained to her what had happen. I then told her I know it is Wednesday before Thanksgiving and there is people in front of me but I sure did need to be home that night. She patted me on the shoulder and said Honey don't worry we will get you going. The diesel tech came in and got right on the truck and told me it was a bad fuel pressure regulator valve. So $650.00 and 4 hours latter I was on my way. Long story but there are some great dealerships out there.
That sounds like the kind of people and service you get in the south. I'm sure it's like that in some other places but ya...Texas I'm biased...Glad it worked out.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 AM   #14
xcntrk

Terrible situation and I feel your pain. With only 5k on the truck, did you even shake this thing down for heavy duty towing? What's the break-in cycle before towing a load, I thought the rear diff was several thousand miles? With only 5k, I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't even gone through a regen cycle yet, or still on the break in oil change. These factors could all lead to the error. Not trying to kick you while you're down, just making the point that you can't drive a truck off the lot and immediately start towing with it.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #15
the sodfather

Is there a Chevy dealer close so you can trade that thing in? . Just kidding. Well, maybe... I imagine how frustrations that would be. Make the best of it and take your wife to a little dive restaurant and get away from it all. Hopefully you'll be on the road soon.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 AM   #16
notanlines

500 miles until you tow with a Superduty. I'm assuming Chevy and Dodge are probably the same. I couldn't imagine anyone with truck experience waiting for the 5000 mile mark to tow.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #17
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Terrible situation and I feel your pain. With only 5k on the truck, did you even shake this thing down for heavy duty towing? What's the break-in cycle before towing a load, I thought the rear diff was several thousand miles? With only 5k, I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't even gone through a regen cycle yet, or still on the break in oil change. These factors could all lead to the error. Not trying to kick you while you're down, just making the point that you can't drive a truck off the lot and immediately start towing with it.
Regens occur more like every 500 miles. The rear diff break in is 1000 miles. No one should have to wait 5000 miles to tow. Its probably something simple and just bad luck, nothing more. The new Chevrolet L5P is throwing tons of check engine lights. Unfortunately this is life with a modern diesel thanks to the EPA.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:51 AM   #18
Tbos

Hope you get back on the road soon. Please let us know what you find as the cause.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
dcg9381

I hope you're on the road too. After so many troubles with motorhomes, I became rather adapt at using an OBD-II dongle and a smartphone to figure out issues.... Or at least reset the codes and head home (if appropriate).

If you're a little bit car/truck savvy, might be something to consider.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #20
captcolour

Sorry to hear. Sounds like what the truck would do if the DEF was low. Wonder if that sensor is bad thinking it is almost out.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod