Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
BirchyBoy

The search is on!

We went to the RV show this weekend and found 2 or 3 different travel trailers that we really like. All are much bigger than our Passport, so our Grand Cherokee won't cut it. Like many, I wish I had made a different decision a year ago when we bought it, but times and priorities change.

We really liked a Winnebago 27RBDS and Kodiak 291RESL. Both are close to 6,500lbs dry. The Winnebago tops out at 7,700 and the Kodiak at 8,900. It is surprising how much cargo the Kodiak can carry.

We drove 3 trucks today. The first was a 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost. It had the power, but the cargo capacity was only 1,300, which is barely more than our Grand Cherokee. It was a "Limited" edition and had lots of unnecessary stuff. The salesman said that he could likely find us a '15 with Ecoboost and Max Tow that met our needs for 5k more than used.

The second truck was a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L engine. I didn't even know that Chevy had access to the 6.2 for 1/2 tons! It had a cargo capacity of 1,700, which is much better and would be sufficient for what we're doing for the next 5 years.

The last truck was a '11 GMC 2500HD Denali with Duramax. It had a cargo capacity of 2,700lbs which is good for most any travel trailer but not for a fifth wheel we had our eyes on at the show. It also had 108k miles on it, which is a lot to me. Lots of people say it's just broken in, but there are many, many things that still wear out even though the engine and transmission probably won't for a long time.

I'm headed to look at a couple F250's tomorrow, both gas and diesel. They are 2012/2013 with under 40k on them and a little bit less than the Denali which was 40k.

Once we've drive all of them, we'll sit down and decide where we want to be with regard to campers over the next 5 years. If there's any chance we'll get a fifth wheel, we'll focus on a diesel most likely and probably a 1 ton. That said, I don't spend a lot of time in the mountains, so a gasser should be sufficient for 80% of our towing, which is in actuality less than 10% of our total mileage.

My wife really likes the looks of the GMC's the most and the Ford's the least. Since we're a one-car household, and I work at home, she does 90% of the driving around town and her liking the appearance is very important She did say that the Denali 2500 didn't feel any bigger than either of the 1/2 tons we drove which is pretty great from my point of view.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck on your search for a new, bigger tow vehicle. It's always fun, even though it's usually frustrating as well !!!

One thing to keep in mind about the F150 EcoBoost, there are two packages that upgrade your towing. First is the "max tow" package that increases towing capability to somewhere around 11,000 pounds. That's a package you should consider, but, in my opinion, an even more important package, especially if you're considering a travel trailer in the "above 7,500 pound" range, is the "max payload" package. That will increase your total payload to somewhere around 2200 pounds, give you LT tires, heavier wheels and the factory brake controller is a part of that package. It incorporates trailer sway and helps handling/towing.

As for the Denali/1500 "seeming to be the same size, it's because they are. The GM products use the same cab, front clip and bed, only the "underpinnings" are different. On the Ford, the SuperDuty is a different body, wider, but ironically, the interior crewcab space is smaller than the F150... Who'a thunk ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
CoreyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

As for the Denali/1500 "seeming to be the same size, it's because they are. The GM products use the same cab, front clip and bed, only the "underpinnings" are different. On the Ford, the SuperDuty is a different body, wider, but ironically, the interior crewcab space is smaller than the F150... Who'a thunk ???
It's my understanding that the 2017 aluminum Super Duty will share the same cab as the F-150.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyC View Post
It's my understanding that the 2017 aluminum Super Duty will share the same cab as the F-150.
According to info that's been released by Ford, the cab will be the same as the F150 (finally the SuperDuty will have a Super Crew Cab) but the front clip and the bed will be "SuperDuty exclusive" (Ford's words, not mine) LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Good Luck on your search for a new, bigger tow vehicle. It's always fun, even though it's usually frustrating as well !!!

One thing to keep in mind about the F150 EcoBoost, there are two packages that upgrade your towing. First is the "max tow" package that increases towing capability to somewhere around 11,000 pounds. That's a package you should consider, but, in my opinion, an even more important package, especially if you're considering a travel trailer in the "above 7,500 pound" range, is the "max payload" package. That will increase your total payload to somewhere around 2200 pounds, give you LT tires, heavier wheels and the factory brake controller is a part of that package. It incorporates trailer sway and helps handling/towing.

The max tow is on my radar, but wasn't aware of the max payload option. The dealer only had a couple with the max tow and they were both Platinum models at $55k. There's no way I'm spending that much on a new truck. It might be difficult to find a truck with both of those that are used.

I didn't realize the GM's were the same bodies. Thanks for telling me.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 01-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
The max tow is on my radar, but wasn't aware of the max payload option. The dealer only had a couple with the max tow and they were both Platinum models at $55k. There's no way I'm spending that much on a new truck. It might be difficult to find a truck with both of those that are used.

I didn't realize the GM's were the same bodies. Thanks for telling me.
Yup, they are two different "packages", one focused in increasing towing and one that "ups" the carrying capability. Few dealerships stock the "max payload" since there is such a small buyer segment that wants those features. I totally agree with you on the "luxury features" on the Platinum. It's "opulent" at a cost, both in dollars to buy and in payload reduction (all of that extra stuff adds to the truck's empty weight). Everyone has their own ideas of what "level of luxury" they want, but the XLT or Lariat are both very comfortable trucks with most of the features anyone would want for towing on long trips. The most noticeable difference between them is "cloth" for the XLT and "leather" for the Lariat. Otherwise, it's "bells and whistles" in the different electronics.

I know you're not looking at SuperDuty trucks, but as a comparison, you can find diesel F250 XLT's and Lariat's in the $55K range !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
SLIMSHADIE

Birchyboy, not stepping on any toes here. But I borrowed my buddies newer F150 Ecoboost with the max tow package when I blew out my driveshaft on my truck just before a labor day weekend trip. Anyways my camper is roughly 8500 loaded. The numbers were all there, but that windy weekend was a nightmare. When a semi passed by it would throw me 4-5' left or right, driving 5-10 less than the speed limit. Maybe I'm just used to driving my Dodge 3500 pulling it like its not even back there, dont need a 1 ton to pull a travel trailer, but wasnt happy with the F150. If that was my F150, I would of traded it in when I got back home.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:03 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMSHADIE View Post
Birchyboy, not stepping on any toes here. But I borrowed my buddies newer F150 Ecoboost with the max tow package when I blew out my driveshaft on my truck just before a labor day weekend trip. Anyways my camper is roughly 8500 loaded. The numbers were all there, but that windy weekend was a nightmare. When a semi passed by it would throw me 4-5' left or right, driving 5-10 less than the speed limit. Maybe I'm just used to driving my Dodge 3500 pulling it like its not even back there, dont need a 1 ton to pull a travel trailer, but wasnt happy with the F150. If that was my F150, I would of traded it in when I got back home.
You make a great point and yours is a perfect example of "you don't know what you don't know"...Many people who tow have only used one vehicle, so they have no way to compare towing characteristics. To them, the way their F150 tows is "just fine" and they are satisfied with the amount of sway, braking distance and gas mileage. It's only after they experience another tow vehicle that they realize a significant difference in towing. That's when "the light comes on" (so to speak). It happened to you, it happened to me, and will "eventually" happen to others. It usually takes "the experience" of towing with a larger, more powerful vehicle for most people to realize how "under-rated" their "on the verge of being overloaded" vehicle really is.

What's the "old saying" ?? If only I'd have know this earlier........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #9
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMSHADIE View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the F150.

Good point on the wind effect. I have towed my trailer (27ish with tongue) with my Yukon and my Grand Cherokee without any issue. I was talking with the Winnebago rep and my wife about towing a longer camper and how it would be subject to more wind push. That alone may be enough of a reason for us to go with a 3/4 ton truck.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
BirchyBoy

Quote:
I know you're not looking at SuperDuty trucks, but as a comparison, you can find diesel F250 XLT's and Lariat's in the $55K range !!!!
Sorry, that $55k was tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't pay $55k for any car or truck at this point in my life. $40k is the high end, and I'm finding several F250's that a few years old in my range.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Sorry, that $55k was tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't pay $55k for any car or truck at this point in my life. $40k is the high end, and I'm finding several F250's that a few years old in my range.
As a note : I paid $38k out the door for the '15 dually in my signature. If you don't have to have butt warmers, big screen info centers and fancy wheels you don't have to spend $60k+
Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
B-O-B'03

Quote:
... The dealer only had a couple with the max tow and they were both Platinum models at $55k. There's no way I'm spending that much on a new truck. It might be difficult to find a truck with both of those that are used...
Just because they list for 55K, does not mean that is what they sell for.

The sticker on our 2013 Platinum was 52K, we got it for 37.9 + TT&L.

It is an awesome truck, feature wise and the wife's daily driver (she loves it).

We knew we were going to be getting a small trailer, ended up with a 22RBPR, so the F150 worked out perfect for us.

-Brian
Old 01-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Just a couple thoughts, yes 100k miles sounds like a lot and yes parts wear out, but I'm sitting at 135k on my duramax and have only replaced 1 NoX sensor and 1 EGT sensor. Other than that, it's like a new truck, steering suspension, accessories, everything working like the day I bought it (I did change the shocks). Personally, I wouldn't pay $40k for a Denali, I'd look for an SLT or Chevy LTZ. If you don't care about leather, look for an SLE or LT. You should be able to get under 50k miles on a duramax in the $40k range and you still have warranty up to 100k miles. Denali's are very nice, but you pay for that.

As for the blowing effect. I've towed many different trailers with my dually, the worst was a 19' TT. It was just too light and passing trucks would blow it all over. I felt it badly even with a dually. I found the best towing trailers were anything above 27' and 8,000 lbs. Yes you have more surface area to be affected by winds, but the extra weight helps keep them settled. My 40' 15k lb 5er has very little movement in wind. When I was transporting, I stayed away from the small trailers. I just didn't like the feeling of them being blown around when I was driving 11 hours a day, every day. In the TT class, the ones with the new aerodynamic front tow like a dream, much better handling and better mileage than the shoe box looking trailers. 5ers, I haven't found one that doesn't tow great. That's just my personal opinion after towing about everything you can think of for over 40k miles last year.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #14
RGene7001

[QUOTE=bsmith0404;191664]

As for the blowing effect. I've towed many different trailers with my dually, the worst was a 19' TT. It was just too light and passing trucks would blow it all over. I felt it badly even with a dually. I found the best towing trailers were anything above 27' and 8,000 lbs.

This confirms my long intuitive aversion to small single axle trailers. Always see them swaying around the road and the worst was a popup behind old model Explorer...

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:41 AM   #15
Tbos

Good luck on your hunt for a new TT and TV. We upgraded to a 2810BH. The difference in space is amazing. Still tow with a half ton but wish I had a 3/4 or 1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
slow

This for my 2015 F250 gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
Tbos

Have fun and enjoy the truck and the trailer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

I don't recall where you are in CO, if I ever knew, but be sure you find out if they checked the brakes, who/how they checked them and what they found. Most places in CO you are going up or down so if you are going to depend on their check make them tell you exactly what they checked and what they found. Congrats on the new rig and hope you have tons of fun.

On a side note: You had birchyboy, your pit bull mix that appeared to live only 7 years? Was that from birth to death? I have a mix that I love dearly and she's going on 6 (she "found" me to rescue). I love her like I do my kids and worry about what happened to your pup every time I read your caption.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #19
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
On a side note: You had birchyboy, your pit bull mix that appeared to live only 7 years? Was that from birth to death? I have a mix that I love dearly and she's going on 6 (she "found" me to rescue). I love her like I do my kids and worry about what happened to your pup every time I read your caption.
Birch was 5 when I rescued him from a shelter in Maine. He was bonkers...his original name was Crackers. Whenever he was left alone, he would spin in a circle and bark until he was exhausted. Then he'd fall over and lick/suck on his hind leg.

He was with me through my divorce back in '05 and we moved to CO together. He went everywhere with me...everywhere. He's one of the reasons that my wife (that I met out here) fell for me because every time I showed up, Birch was in the back seat of my Acura with his head hanging out.

He was the best dog ever and will always be missed.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you. My Ginger is attached to me at the hip...she's my shadow, alarm clock, worrier, watch pup and in general "take care of dad" pup -with lots of kisses to make sure everything is OK! Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry for your loss.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote