Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Javi

Javi's Rules for DEF Usage..

Seeing John got him a new diesel TV, and having seen others ask about DEF and some even worrying about running out of DEF. I thought I'd post my rules for DEF usage...

1. If you can't remember the last time you added DEF... pour some in..
  2. If you're headed out on a trip... Top off the DEF
  3. If you see the message “Less than 1/2”.. Add DEF
  4. If you ain't seen the message “Less than 1/2” in a good while.... Add some DEF
  5. If you ain't added any DEF in the last couple of thousand miles... Add some DEF now.
  6. If you're at the truck stop filling your truck with diesel and there is a DEF pump right there... Add some DEF to the DEF tank right now..
Old 05-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Wow, I break all of your rules. I just add DEF before I do any transport run. Each run is about 4k miles round trip. The last run I did was actually 4,900 and I got the 600 mile DEF distance remaining warning about 250 miles from home. I topped off when I got home. I always top off at the pump, I don't trust the stuff sold in the box, not because it's poor quality, but because it gets old and I don't feel like checking for an expiration date. Biggest/most important rule on DEF, DON'T ADD OLD DEF. I believe it has a 2 year shelf life, but I wouldn't push that.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Wow, I break all of your rules. I just add DEF before I do any transport run. Each run is about 4k miles round trip. The last run I did was actually 4,900 and I got the 600 mile DEF distance remaining warning about 250 miles from home. I topped off when I got home. I always top off at the pump, I don't trust the stuff sold in the box, not because it's poor quality, but because it gets old and I don't feel like checking for an expiration date. Biggest/most important rule on DEF, DON'T ADD OLD DEF. I believe it has a 2 year shelf life, but I wouldn't push that.
Looks like you're using #2 and #6 at least..

I can't go a day without seeing someone complaining about their truck going into limp mode 'cause the DEF got low.. Two weeks ago we were camped at Goose Island and the guy next to me drove up in a rental car.. I asked him where his truck was.. In the shop.. It ran out of DEF and went into limp mode.. was his reply.

This stuff ain't rocket surgery ...
Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Guess you're right, I do use #2 and 6. No excuse for running out, the trucks give you plenty of warning.

Well I guess there is one problem with the GM system that could lead to running out (I'm not familiar with the Ford and Dodge). The DIC will give you a warning around 600 miles to go, if you clear the warning message, I don't think it comes back on. I did that once and completely forgot about it. Of course, I remembered about 400 miles later when I filled up, but if I hadn't remembered.......

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Guess you're right, I do use #2 and 6. No excuse for running out, the trucks give you plenty of warning.

Well I guess there is one problem with the GM system that could lead to running out (I'm not familiar with the Ford and Dodge). The DIC will give you a warning around 600 miles to go, if you clear the warning message, I don't think it comes back on. I did that once and completely forgot about it. Of course, I remembered about 400 miles later when I filled up, but if I hadn't remembered.......
The Ford gives you a warning at less than 1/2, and I think 800 miles to go then a another at I think 500 till limp mode.. I've never seen any of them except the less than 1/2.. You can also check it in the information panel and even my cheap XL has that..
Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I guess the trucks are to big to be hand pushing to the gas station when running out. I did that for 2 blocks with a Datsun P/U about 40 years ago. I really like to travel on the first 1/2 of fuel in any tank not the last half.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
Desert185

...and then there is the parody on badges. DEF. What DEF? I don't need no stinkin' DEF.

However, your plan looks like a good one to avoid the dreaded limp mode due to lack of DEF. Some stations don't have DEF, so I suppose one would have to carry a contingency box of DEF unless planning fueling at truck stops, if any exist along the planned route. Frankly, DEF seems like an inconvience that I am glad I don't experience.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote