Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
bandit362

New Cougar Xlite XV WCV owner

We just purchased a Cougar Xlite XV WCV Travel Trailer and are looking forward to getting it on the road. Challenges are my '09 F-150 truck that supposedly can tow 11,300#. I really believe this to be a max of 9k#. The TT has minimal storage space to force the owner to keep xtra stuff off the trailer. The shop tech at the dealer thinks the truck is configured ok with the hitch but is concerned about the back end suspension. Soooo... he suggested adding airbags for load leveling and a better ride. I found good prices online for the Air Lift Ride Control model 59544 and will have a local shop do the installation. I am also adding the Airlift Controller II system to make inflating and deflating easier. 1st trip out the door is from Tucson to San Antonio to vist the in-laws 11 Jun.
Air Lift Suspension/Equal-i-zer Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
bandit362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Welcome, Tim and Patty (and the dogs too) to the forum. I hope your first trip is both enjoyable and trouble-free and that the modifications to your truck make the towing a bit easier for you. I would keep close watch on how your truck and trailer "behave" with the weight of the unit you are towing and your truck being a 1/2T.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Flyguy

Welcome to the forum.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
bennydog

Welcome Tim and Patty...

Maybe one of the moderators will move this thread.
I stand on a bit of a soap box once in a while when it comes to the "can I tow this" question. The trailer you purchased from the Keystone web site has a dry weight of 6860 lbs and a tongue weight of 725 lbs. I'm unable to locate the 2009 Trailer Life towing guide but I did find the 2010. There are several F150 with a tow rating of 11K plus so that may not be an issue for you. The weight / capacity that many over look is the cargo or carrying capacity of the tow vehicle. As an example, I drive a Dodge 1500 which has a cargo capacity of 1270 lbs. Everything you put into or onto the truck counts against this weight. My wife and I together weigh about 400 lbs ( I'm the heavy one) so I could only carry a trailer with a max tongue weight of 870 lbs. with nothing else in the truck. Air shocks don't change the numbers just the ride. My Cougar has a loaded tongue weight measured at the scales of 610 lbs (against the published weight from Keystone of 450 Lbs.) That means I can take the dogs and some firewood and the bike and still be within the limits of my truck. Find the sticker that tell you your cargo carrying capacity subtract the weight of everything you put into the truck and what is left is the max tongue weight of your trailer. Then take it to the scales and weight it to be sure. Off soap box let the retort begin.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
GBHRPS

Bennydog you are so right!

We have friends that have the identical trailer to ours, but is 3 years older. Unfortunately his TV is an 06 F150 CC with 20 inch wheels. Not only are the tires on his trailer the original ones installed when the trailer was built, but he is dramatically overweight as well, particularly with his wheels adding to the problem.

I had my weight numbers done at a local scale, and found no surprises in the capabilities of my TV hauling our trailer with a good safety margin. Knowing the numbers of the trailer, and finding our friend's TV numbers on line, his picture is quite different. But he won't acknowledge that he has anything to be concerned about, even when you point out the 3 inch squat in the back end of his truck when hitched to the trailer.

Unfortunately, it may take a trip to a different jurisdiction that is far more unforgiving in its road laws, or an accident to wake this guy up. Hopefully no one will get hurt. I just know that I'm letting him lead the convoy, and I'm staying well back behind him.

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
bandit362

Cougar Xlite XV WCV

Thanks for the point outs. My F-150 can have a payload of 1550# (Max Gross weight - curb weight). Given this, spouse and I weight in at 350# + 50# of daschunds (me and one of the daschunds are the chubby ones). 1550-400 yields 1140 useful load remaining. Assuming I max the TT at 8.2K, with a tongue weight of 10% (820#) leaves me 330# of useful cargo remaining. Minus the 27# of air lift = 300#. Lose some if the tongue weight is more.

I am adding the Air Lift Ride Rite system to ensure a smooth ride and brace up the suspension on the rear end.

Once I get this thing loaded I intend to get the real weights to confirm and stay on the safe side.
Prodigy Brake Controller
Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
bennydog

Based on your numbers IMO you are in good shape.
Actual scale weights will comfirm
I'm interested in hearing if and how the air bags affect the ride.
We have a lot of concert highway out here and the cracks can make for a bumpy and at times down right uncomfortable ride.
Wondering if the bags would help.
Happy travels!!

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
bandit362

AirLift Ride Right Airbag suspension

So far, I cannot tell the difference in the ride but the airbags with 50psi keep my truck level with the trailer hitched to it. After I had the bags installed, I took the whole rig back to the dealer so the service guy could make some adjustments to the hitch. He moved the main bolts for the equalizer hitch down one bolt hole to make the rig level with air in the suspension. Airbags pushed the rear end of my TV up higher so to keep the TT level (actually just a hair higher in the front) and he dropped the hitch down a bolt hole. Once I finally get a full load on the truck and in the trailer, I still have another 50psi I can put in the bags to level the whole thing out.

As a side note, I purchased the Airlift airbag suspension and a Controller II on-board compressor from amazon and had a local 4x4 shop install them. The purchase from amazon saved about $100 and the 4x4 shop installation saved about $300 over what the keystone dealer service guy wanted to charge. The labor was much less at the 4x4 shop as they do this kind of installation all the time. The service guy worried me as he said he had never installed an on-board compressor before and thought it would take upwards of 4 hours at $109 an hour labor....plus the airbag installation. I would recommend getting the on-board compressor just for the convenience as it allows you to change the psi on the spot. No having the bring a compressor with you and you get an in-cab reading of the psi in the suspension.
Prodigy Brake Controller